eGPUs - Thoughts? - Skull Canyon NUC with Thunder3 PCIe Box.

imagios

Cable Smoosher
Oct 24, 2016
Nice the more of such items the better :) just I would really love to get a mini ITX case, preferably in the footprint of my NUC, as well I they could use the small pcb power supplies (something like thishttps://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mini-Box-pico-PSU-12V-150W-24-Pin-Mini-ITX-Power-Supply/32629797512.html?spm=2114.40010308.4.9.zrdHyl - they make it as well in 250W) that would manage a gtx 1070 and that is the best mini itx so far. but still the more options will be the better the price and driver support :)

imagios

Cable Smoosher
Oct 24, 2016
Here might be a small game changer for eGPU with at GPU demanding a max of 75W, and powered only from the PCI Slot
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-gp107-gpu-specs/
The gtx 1050 is rated at 75W, this looks interesting since it would make our life easier on the power supply part.
The http://www.inxtron.com/products/thunderbolt3-hdk can provide 75W power in the slot with the right power supply.
So what do you think?
Sure the 1050 is not a high end card, but still looks quite decent, I have a 2560x1080 screen so I dont need a top of the line GPU, my competitive gaming days are any way gone, so for me this looks interesting, because of the ease to power it.

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Original poster
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
Update from benjaminlsr. Looks like he's wired two Noctua 60mm fans into his Thunder3 and GTX 1060 box.

I believe he's tied them to the PWM signal on the GPU fan, so all three spin up and down in tandem.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
That project screams for a good horizontal flow heatsink 2,5 slots thick.

imagios

Cable Smoosher
Oct 24, 2016
Update from benjaminlsr. Looks like he's wired two Noctua 60mm fans into his Thunder3 and GTX 1060 box.

I believe he's tied them to the PWM signal on the GPU fan, so all three spin up and down in tandem.

Is the thunder3 working for him, asking because a guy on YouTube said on kernel level thunder3 is not supporting Egpu.

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Original poster
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
And AKiTiO just released their eGPU enclosure. The Node.
Anandtech has the news, here.

At $299 this is sure to steal some market share from Razer and Powercolor, but man...
This thing is huge! C'mon guys, where are the mini eGPUs?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Looks like Asus is also throwing their hat into the ring with the adeptly named ASUS ROG XG Station 2

AnandTech has a good comparison of all of the eGPU options now available.

Unfortunately, all of these are still too large for my tastes. I should probably stop holding my breath for the Mini eGPU, eh?

That's a very good table by anandtech, apart from the fact that all those "proprietary" internal PSUs are 1U or Flex.

Reactions: Soul_Est

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I guess I'll repeat my offer in the space inefficiency thread here: If anyone is willing to pay for the TB3 to PCIe adapter and the sheet metal work, I'll do the CAD for free just to prove the point that a GPU dock that's actually smaller than a full SFF computer is indeed possible.

Reactions: Soul_Est

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Really that's it. It's just I need a TB3 to PCIe board to measure and I have no use for it, so I'm not going to buy one myself.

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Original poster
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
I guess I'll repeat my offer in the space inefficiency thread here: If anyone is willing to pay for the TB3 to PCIe adapter and the sheet metal work, I'll do the CAD for free just to prove the point that a GPU dock that's actually smaller than a full SFF computer is indeed possible.

Aibo, If you're still interested, I'll take you up on the offer to work on a Mini eGPU chassis. We all know you do exceptional work. I'm in no rush, but I do want to see the Mini eGPU AiboBox become a thing.

On hand, I still have the Gigabyte GTX 1070 Mini and HPLEX 160W AC-DC. I could order an AkiTio Node from here and then ship all the parts to you? Were you thinking internal PSU or external power brick?

Reactions: EdZ and Soul_Est