An eGPU dock that's actually SFF (name TBD)

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
You position the USB/Power/eGPU cables to the actual position on the laptop then lock them in place.

This is the tricky part since height, angle, and position of the connectors will subtly vary from laptop to laptop.

If you figure out a way to do that though, you should make a thread because that could be a very interesting project.

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
I was just thinking about making an egpu for my MacBook today and found this thread. All the egpu enclosures are way to big to be portable. I was also thinking of using the hdplex atx with the ac-dc. My difficulty was trying to track some of the boards down to purchase alone. Was also thinking of making it look like an old apple G2 tower. Gotta read through this whole thread to see what your issues we're but excited it here!!

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
My difficulty was trying to track some of the boards down to purchase alone.

That's the problem, basically you have to buy an eGPU dock like the AKiTIO just for the ThunderBolt 3 board.

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
That's the problem, basically you have to buy an eGPU dock like the AKiTIO just for the ThunderBolt 3 board.
Dang I was coming to that conclusion as well. I really don't want to gut a akitio node just to spend more money to make a smaller case.

entropy

Caliper Novice
May 17, 2017
Personally, I think an ideal eGPU would just a bit bigger than the GPU inside. The PSU could be replaced with a 12 V, 200-300 W power brick and a custom board inside. If it ever becomes feasible to build one, I would use full sized GPUs because I can upgrade my desktop's GPUs and put the old one in the eGPU.

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
I think I would rather have a tight case that fits a full-size GPU so I could get a second hand 980ti or something to save on money since I won't always be using the egpu. The other downside is upgrading it in the future. You will be very limited which is why I would want a small tight full size enclosure.

But are you sure it comes with the 1070? No other external gpus include the graphics card. For 600 with the 1070 that may be reasonable.

Reactions: Biowarejak

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Assuming it's upgradeable, it'll actually be about the same price or even cheaper than buying the Akitio Node + custom case + HDPLEX units. And you get a GTX 1070 with the Gigabyte to boot.

Reactions: Phuncz

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Assuming it's upgradeable, it'll actually be about the same price or even cheaper than buying the Akitio Node + custom case + HDPLEX units. And you get a GTX 1070 with the Gigabyte to boot.
Agreed but every time i watch it i see how small it is i have no idea how anything other than gigabyte GPU would work. And who knows how long they will keep the GPU size the way it currently is. Really makes it iffy for future upgrades. Did they say when the expected release date is?

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
I can only think of making a case just for the dock part of the eGPU and open-air the entire actual GPU, if we're going the fit-all route in the smaller direction. Basically a clip-on thunderbolt adapter for a GPU ._.
i see where you are going with this. That would be a pretty cool idea. Basically plugging the GPU into a portable block that has the power supply and thunderbolt. Only difficulty would be powering it without it looking bad or weird. Kinda neat idea though to have the gpu completely external. Then the eGPU enclosure could be as small as possible and put whatever GPU you want into it.

Only downside it protecting the external gpu if you ever want to transport it. I am sure there is a clever way to fix the problem though.

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
@DocH, I think those slot eGPU cards do exist? I've seen them before, I'll try to rouse up the photos.

Looks like Zotac also has a mini eGPU?

It's not high-end, but does fit dual slot, 17cm cards up to 120W.
Source

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
That is an SSD not a GPU, but the enclosure will accept a single slot card up to 75W. It runs off a 120W brick and the power budget is based on the potential draw of the USB ports on top of the GPU. I do find myself wondering if you could gut the unit and put a Katana and DC-DC solution. Would be a pretty badass eGPU.

entropy

Caliper Novice
May 17, 2017
@DocH, I think those slot eGPU cards do exist? I've seen them before, I'll try to rouse up the photos.

Looks like Zotac also has a mini eGPU?

It's not high-end, but does fit dual slot, 17cm cards up to 120W.
Source

If this comes empty and isn't too expensive, then we could probably salvage the board and make a custom eGPU finally.

Reactions: SeñorDonut