eGPUs - Thoughts? - Skull Canyon NUC with Thunder3 PCIe Box.

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Original poster
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
I'm pretty sure I could fit two gaming computers in that chassis :p

Agreed. Chassis like the Razer Core and forthcoming AKiTiO GPU are too big for SFF. Most folks can see that it's the Mini ITX cards that are currently hitting that efficiency sweet spot. Small space, big performance, low watts. There's only one person making a mini ITX eGPU chassis right now, and that's Wolfe. And even their project uses a bulky external power brick. If someone would just take that AKiTiO, push it 10mm on X and Y, we could fit a 1070 and PSU inside.

It'd be so nice to have a sub three box with 1070 power.

Reactions: Phuncz

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
And even their project uses a bulky external power brick. If someone would just take that AKiTiO, push it 10mm on X and Y, we could fit a 1070 and PSU inside.

Is there a market for that though? Because you're looking at Akitio Thunder3 + custom case + AC-DC unit + DC-DC + wire harness + soldering said wire harness to the PCB.

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Original poster
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
Oh yes, there is certainly a market for a mini eGPU. Wolfe proved that with their 300K kickstarter. Now if that market is on these forums? Not so sure. Mac Laptop + eGPU = Market. SFF + eGPU = not so much.. it seems.

And I hear your comments about product practicality. I'm not suggesting opening up shop to modify the AKiTiO Thunder3. I'm opining about a new ...just slightly larger product than the Thunder3 or Wolfe. One that could house a PSU targeting the TDP of - statistically - the most popular GPUs, under 200Ws. No, that product doesn't exist yet. Just daydreaming here.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yeah, I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth developing such a chassis. I'm leaning towards no at the moment though.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Seems to me that the HDPlex 250W AC-DC could be a great candidate for this application if it comes out soon.

Reactions: jeshikat

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Original poster
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
And AKiTiO just dropped their FULL-SIZE eGPU chassis on Twitter, here.
At least they got rid of that garish purple color.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Holy crap, you could fit the most oversized of cards in there and still have room to spare.

I still don't get using one of these next to a NUC system, though. If your computer is already going to be sitting on your desk, you might as well put everything in one box. What these are great for are laptops.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Anyone know where you can get the internals for a case like this without the actual case? Would just like adapter etc. For a custom project?

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016

Looks like Wolfe went tits up. Cancelled after a day as they were apparently going to have trouble getting Thunderbolt certification licensing or something. GG Intel.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
So it's really down to finding a "Thunderbolt to PCIe slot" PCB and someone willing to make a case around it, with room for a AC-DC PSU.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Looks like Wolfe went tits up. Cancelled after a day as they were apparently going to have trouble getting Thunderbolt certification licensing or something. GG Intel.

Well, at least they found out at this point instead of several months from now when they've already spent most of the money on the injection molds and other upfront costs.

Edit: Though from reading their update, it looks like it's mostly an issue with the OS X compatibility:

We’re writing today to share some important news: we are going to be cancelling our Kickstarter campaign, and refunding your pledges in full. Our success has attracted the attention of some big players in the industry, who recently reached out to us about the Wolfe. Through these conversations, it became clear there would be some uncertainty in attaining the product certifications essential for the Thunderbolt 2 (and thus macOS) versions of the Wolfe.

We decided it wouldn’t be right to accept pledges from you, our earliest supporters, with these new developments and changes to our timeline. However, these factors will allow us to bring you an even better product in the near future as we work with our new partners in the industry. We are incredibly excited about the next steps for the Wolfe, and the future of this Kickstarter community.

And their success has gotten the attention of industry players so maybe we'll see not just Wolfe make a comeback but alternatives from other companies now that they know there's a market.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Edit: Though from reading their update, it looks like it's mostly an issue with the OS X compatibility

This is where I was expecting them to either fall on their ass or pull off some unicorn grade code. macOS's graphics stack isn't in the best shape. Its disappointing they didn't investigate the viability of this earlier but a good thing they picked it up before their campaign was funded.

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Original poster
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com

Wow, so $300K gets refunded back to potential buyers?

This is where I was expecting them to either fall on their ass or pull off some unicorn grade code. macOS's graphics stack isn't in the best shape. Its disappointing they didn't investigate the viability of this earlier but a good thing they picked it up before their campaign was funded.

Bootcamp fixes that for Windows games, right?

Well, at least they found out at this point instead of several months from now when they've already spent most of the money on the injection molds and other upfront costs.

Edit: Though from reading their update, it looks like it's mostly an issue with the OS X compatibility:

And their success has gotten the attention of industry players so maybe we'll see not just Wolfe make a comeback but alternatives from other companies now that they know there's a market.

Anyone have a lead on one of these PCBs?

I've looked some. Nothing seems readily available. All roads lead to Intel at the moment. I've got a few questions out to Intel folks about Licensing.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Wow, so $300K gets refunded back to potential buyers?
Even if they have to stump up Kickstarter's cut themselves (5%, or ~$1600), they've basically paid that for the best possible product viability survey imaginable: actually getting people to hand over the full price. They now have a rock-solid estimate of what people are willing to pay for their product and how much they're willing to pay for it that they can have absolute confidence in.