Concept DSE Vertex - A 10L Inverted Vertical Format ITX Tower

DSE

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
DSE
Feb 8, 2017
@DSE you never know... there's a lot of different builds working with insane clearances in this forum haha.

Is this targeted to be sold after breathe v2? Estimated release date?
Yep, definitely after. I think it's still too early to estimate an actual date. Probably within 6 months?

Looks like GPUs over 5 inchest wide wont work? 1080 FE butts right up against the PSU?
You mean 5 inches tall? The case can hold a graphics card up to 5.3 inches tall given that the card has recessed PCI-E power connectors, like the ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti. Yes, the bottom side of every graphics card will be butting up right against the PSU. It really isn't any different to how the bottom side of a graphics card is right up against the plane of the motherboard when installed in an mATX/ATX/EATX motherboard.

Reactions: renecop545

scub4st3v3

Trash Compacter
May 4, 2017
I love the look of this case. I actually sketched a similar design last year, but it didn't look nearly as refined/elegant. One concern I have though: will using blower style GPUs be possible? Or will hot air being dumped directly under the case rise back up?

I guess affixing a small shroud to the end of a blower GPU could push the air behind the case.

Reactions: DSE

Sympathizer

Caliper Novice
Jul 27, 2016
This prototype definitely needs new grilles with smaller and more frequent holes. Look at the Ghost S1 and the old Mac Pro.

You can even go further and make some interesting pattern. For example, make vents in form of separate round fields only where are fans placed, and use different gauges of holes. Here is an example from Benz:

Reactions: BaK

renecop545

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 2, 2018
This prototype definitely needs new grilles with smaller and more frequent holes. Look at the Ghost S1 and the old Mac Pro.

You can even go further and make some interesting pattern. For example, make vents in form of separate round fields only where are fans placed, and use different gauges of holes. Here is an example from Benz:

Hate to burst your bubble pal, but a PC case needs to be as functional as it is aesthetically pleasing. Holes of those size would be terrible for airflow, not to mention it'd subvert the industrial design into something more gaudy imo. From what I've seen, DSE's design philosophy also seems to lean towards a clean, minimalistic form that is fully functional, so I don't think this would fit his current style anyways.

Reactions: talkion and DSE

DSE

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
DSE
Feb 8, 2017
I love the look of this case. I actually sketched a similar design last year, but it didn't look nearly as refined/elegant. One concern I have though: will using blower style GPUs be possible? Or will hot air being dumped directly under the case rise back up?

I guess affixing a small shroud to the end of a blower GPU could push the air behind the case.

Thanks. Blower shouldn't be a problem. The airflow of the exhaust air would completely overpower any convective tendencies for the hot air to rise back up.

What @renecop545 said.

Oh I've seen them. And we've already had this discussion on small-hole vent patterns long ago in my Breathe thread. Bigger holes are better for airflow.

The biggest gripe I have with that concentric hole pattern (besides their appearance) is that they wouldn't be perfectly placed for every fan on every piece of hardware. Motherboards have the CPU socket in varying locations, leading to the CPU cooler being in different locations. Same with graphics cards. Some cards are longer and use smaller fans that could be spaced at any distance from each other. Some cards are taller and use larger fans, again with varying spacing. There's no way that a concentric hole pattern such as you described would be a feasible, consistent, catch-all design for ventilation of practically infinitely differing pieces of hardware. That's why I like a more regular pattern, such as the hexagonally oriented hole grid I use. It's consistent and provides even airflow performance, no matter where the fans are behind it.

Hate to burst your bubble pal, but a PC case needs to be as functional as it is aesthetically pleasing. Holes of those size would be terrible for airflow, not to mention it'd subvert the industrial design into something more gaudy imo. From what I've seen, DSE's design philosophy also seems to lean towards a clean, minimalistic form that is fully functional, so I don't think this would fit his current style anyways.
You're a saint. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Reactions: renecop545

Sympathizer

Caliper Novice
Jul 27, 2016

What @renecop545 said.
The biggest gripe I have with that concentric hole pattern (besides their appearance) is that they wouldn't be perfectly placed for every fan on every piece of hardware. Motherboards have the CPU socket in varying locations, leading to the CPU cooler being in different locations. Same with graphics cards. Some cards are longer and use smaller fans that could be spaced at any distance from each other. Some cards are taller and use larger fans, again with varying spacing. There's no way that a concentric hole pattern such as you described would be a feasible, consistent, catch-all design for ventilation of practically infinitely differing pieces of hardware. That's why I like a more regular pattern, such as the hexagonally oriented hole grid I use. It's consistent and provides even airflow performance, no matter where the fans are behind it.

You're a saint. Couldn't have said it better myself.[/QUOTE]

I don't insist on copying this example, but just want to say that vents can make the whole look or completely destroy it. The current solution looks too DIYish.
By the way, it is not necessary to make ventilation on the side panel. Cerberus offers this as an option and I find it reasonable.

scub4st3v3

Trash Compacter
May 4, 2017
If by DIY means functional, industrial, and beautiful, then I agree the case looks DIY. As much as I think Ayn Rand's objectivist philosophy is a bit harsh, I think she eloquently wrote about beautiful design in The Fountainhead.

This case doesn't have as much capacity for cooling as the Cerberus cases...

DSE

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
DSE
Feb 8, 2017
By the way, it is not necessary to make ventilation on the side panel. Cerberus offers this as an option and I find it reasonable.
Explain to me how you expect the CPU fan and graphics card fans to receive air then.

scub4st3v3

Trash Compacter
May 4, 2017
I know the case isn't planned to be offered in the immediate future, but how will it be sold? How can I ensure I get my mitts on one?

DSE

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
DSE
Feb 8, 2017
I know the case isn't planned to be offered in the immediate future, but how will it be sold? How can I ensure I get my mitts on one?
Most likely will be through Sliger. Getting one shouldn't be a problem if that's the case.

Reactions: Brude27

vaandy

Minimal Tinkerer
Apr 25, 2018
I know your other case is about to be launched on slinger, but anymore progress on this one? Love the curved bezel hiding some of the cables

Reactions: DSE

DSE

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
DSE
Feb 8, 2017
I know your other case is about to be launched on slinger, but anymore progress on this one? Love the curved bezel hiding some of the cables

Thank you. I decided to put Vertex on hold while I focus on production of the Breathe right now.

Only until the money starts coming in from sales of the Breathe will I then consider pursuing a prototype run of Vertex.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
This was my idea. No joke. I designed a VERY similar case. Here's the thing. I NEVER could have made it a reality with my limited knowledge in 2012. I'm glad someone else is applying this layout (the breath was a bit further from my design than this) and making it a reality. VERY NICE job. Looking forward to completion.

Reactions: DSE and Biowarejak