Prototype 9L Inverted Tower | SC-9

Colinreay

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Aug 28, 2016
Hi everyone! I’m super excited to show you a new case project that I’ve been working on, that is finally ready for *very limited* production and community testing.

The goal of this case:
Simplistic, affordable, elegant, and open source. The case’s overall volume is just under 9L (excluding protrusions/feet) and the price $60 before shipping.

Similar to some of my previous projects, the whole case is made from 6mm acrylic and 3d printed cubes with brass threaded inserts. I’ve found this to be both strong, straightforward to source, and relatively easy to work with.

Specs:

Dimensions: (LxWxH) 188.9mm x 166.8mm x 285.3mm
Motherboard: ITX
GPU: Dual-slot, ITX (width up to 125mm with PEG connector)
CPU Cooler: Up to 130mm, top down cooler recommended with side fan intake
PSU: SFX
Storage: Up to 9x 2.5” HDD/SSD
Fans: 2x 80mm/1x 92mm exhaust, 1x 140/120mm intake

Design/Layout:

The case employs an inverted style layout which I found to be the best in terms of space efficiency. This allows the GPU and PSU to get ample airflow from the top and bottom grills, respectively (or that’s the goal anyways). Furthermore, this circumvents the need for a PCIe riser, ultimately lowering the overall cost.

The GPU is held in place by a moveable tab, similar to what GEEEK and a number of other acrylic cases use. The motherboard is attached to 6mm nylon standoffs that thread directly into the case side panel. For storage, SSDs are mounted side up using slots for added mounting possibilities.

The side intake mount is positioned to get airflow across the motherboard and hopefully reduce potential hotspots. The dual 80mm or 92mm exhaust will also aid in evacuating the hot air.

I went with an angled two-tone front design to diverge slightly from the monolithic design path I’ve abided by in the past. The 3d printed feet also are conducive to this angular design aesthetic. At 18mm tall, they also provide the PSU with some breathing room.

Material:

At my target price point, a metal enclosure would simply be impossible unless done on a huge scale. Acrylic and 3d printing were thus both straightforward choices. These are also more accessible to people who’d want to make the case themselves.

The case can be fully assembled using 8mm M3 screws, and 1x 10mm M3 screw at the back. I will use black fasteners in the cases I sell. I also will need to include longer fan screws as standard screws may not be long enough to clear the 6mm panels.

Testing:

Cost:

If you were to make the case yourself, prices would probably range from $40-120 depending on access or lack thereof to laser cutters and 3d printers. The cost on my end for the first few cases I sell will be around $56. This isn’t a money-making endeavour, but it’d be nice to help pay operating costs for the laser cutter, 3d printer, and help me fund future case projects.

All cases will be able to fit in a priority mail flat rate box, with 2-day US shipping for $12.85.

Notes:

This is the first time I’ve decided to sell a case rather than just make it for fun and it’s pretty scary. I hope there is demand at the price point I’m targeting and the design is liked. I immensely appreciate your design feedback as well as suggestions on how to build community interest. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bjornyyy and Alur

Colinreay

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Aug 28, 2016
First prototype images! The protective covering is still on one side of the acrylic, and I need to print new updated case feet. Additionally, the screws are silver instead of black. The overall shape and dimensions are indicative of what the final product will be. I'll try to take some interior shots soon! I'm currently using the computer to post this as well as run some prime95 and heaven.

Last edited:

Colinreay

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Aug 28, 2016
Quick update:

Have begun to cut a super small first batch of cases (6). Each one will be $60 before shipping (shipping is handled through USPS priority mail, and is $12.80 within the US).

I've redesigned the feet and almost all of the 3d printed parts to make the design a little more pleasing to the eye. Final build pictures should be up some time tomorrow. I've been testing thermals with a Ryzen 1200 paired with the stock wraith cooler, a GTX 1050 (with a custom 3d printed shroud), 120mm intake fan, and 2x 80mm exhaust fans. Haven't been able to push the CPU past 55C on Prime95 on stock clocks, nor the GPU past 63C on Furmark/Heaven.

Thanks for reading and can't wait to share more!

Colinreay

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Aug 28, 2016
Another quick update!

Shipping delays have pushed back when I'll receive all of the necessary hardware and materials to finish the cases. Fingers crossed things start arriving later today. Need to start making sleeved 16mm vandal switches. I've cut out two more cases and have them ready to go - here are some pictures of one of them partially assembled. As a note - the fasteners for the final product will be button head, but I only had socket cap on hand.

Note - there are some tiny splotches on one of the side panels, but it goes away with some quick polish. I plan to apply a coating of Brillianize to each panel to further prevent scratches, fingerprints, and dust from sticking. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

PBJ

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 6, 2019
I really like your simple design and the pattern of the vent cutouts. I like the shape of the new case feet and new hex screws better but I think the orange feet and silver screws gave it some character.

But it looks good either way. Good luck!

Edit: Perhaps I like the shape of the original case feet better after all, if they’re orange.

Colinreay

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Aug 28, 2016
I really like your simple design and the pattern of the vent cutouts. I like the shape of the new case feet and new hex screws better but I think the orange feet and silver screws gave it some character.

But it looks good either way. Good luck!

Edit: Perhaps I like the shape of the original case feet better after all, if they’re orange.

Thanks for the feedback PBJ! I definitely respect your opinion about the case feet and colors. I too like brighter accents, but I felt that the muted/dark colors would have a wider appeal. Ironically enough, the silver screws are about 1/5 of the cost of black screws :p. Of course, the case feet in varying colors and shapes can always be offered as an additional option or alternative.

Colinreay

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Aug 28, 2016
Update!

The case is complete, and the instructions are too! That can be found here. I've also embedded it in this post. I'm still going to iterate on the case's design and make *hopefully* beneficial changes. I'm selling these for $60 each with $12.85 domestic priority mail shipping (flat packed with double bubble-wrap). Need to figure out the best way to market the cases.

ToutNoir

Caliper Novice
Mar 2, 2018
Definitely a simple and well made case. The only thing that bother me (design wise) is those screw heads: I really like when they flush with panels.
Did you have the opportunity to test temperatures ?

Colinreay

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Aug 28, 2016
Definitely a simple and well made case. The only thing that bother me (design wise) is those screw heads: I really like when they flush with panels.
Did you have the opportunity to test temperatures ?

Thanks! Valid point on the screws. Unfortunately, I can't countersink/counterbore the screw holes without adding a lot of extra time to the design process, but I can always look into adding the flat screws that Geeek and Lazer3D use (or look like they use). That'll allow the screw heads to sit pretty snugly against the panel surface albeit with a slight gap.

As far as thermals go, I'll need to find some heavier duty hardware to properly test the thermal limits of the case. I don't exactly have a nuclear reactor setup right now - just a Ryzen 1200 (stock cooler) with an itx GTX 1050. With a 120mm acting as intake and 2x 80mm exhaust fans, I couldn't get the CPU over 55C or the GPU over 63C. Even the SSDs (without too much direct airflow) didn't get above 50C during steady state stress tests. That being said, I'm pretty sure these low power components would run cool in all but a sealed box.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
If you're just restricted on budget to testing thermal limits on the case, maybe you want to consider getting cheap, used parts that have high TDP but have gotten more affordable due to being several generations old. In other words, test thermals higher end parts from yesteryear that have similar power considerations.

ToutNoir

Caliper Novice
Mar 2, 2018
Thanks! Valid point on the screws. Unfortunately, I can't countersink/counterbore the screw holes without adding a lot of extra time to the design process, but I can always look into adding the flat screws that Geeek and Lazer3D use (or look like they use). That'll allow the screw heads to sit pretty snugly against the panel surface albeit with a slight gap.

As far as thermals go, I'll need to find some heavier duty hardware to properly test the thermal limits of the case. I don't exactly have a nuclear reactor setup right now - just a Ryzen 1200 (stock cooler) with an itx GTX 1050. With a 120mm acting as intake and 2x 80mm exhaust fans, I couldn't get the CPU over 55C or the GPU over 63C. Even the SSDs (without too much direct airflow) didn't get above 50C during steady state stress tests. That being said, I'm pretty sure these low power components would run cool in all but a sealed box.

I know it's way more difficult to manufacture panels that allow to have flush screws, don't worry ;)
Thermals are nice :) Not everyone is playing games with their computer or using high TDP components so it can fulfill quite a lot of people's needs.