Completed DSE Breathe - A 7.3L Vertical Format ITX Tower

Epinephrine

Cable Smoosher
Apr 11, 2017
Forgive me for not lurking more thoroughly - what's the price for the case + shipping to EU?

Will it work with hdplex ac-dc dc combo? Cutouts too?
Do you think Li-Heat 30cm A type riser will work with the case?

Any plans for doing a more flat, longer case? I really dig the design, for me it pretty much blows anything else on market nowadays out of the water..

In any case, eagerly awaiting finished build photos.

Reactions: DSE and Biowarejak

DSE

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
DSE
Feb 8, 2017
Forgive me for not lurking more thoroughly - what's the price for the case + shipping to EU?

Will it work with hdplex ac-dc dc combo? Cutouts too?
Do you think Li-Heat 30cm A type riser will work with the case?

Any plans for doing a more flat, longer case? I really dig the design, for me it pretty much blows anything else on market nowadays out of the water..

In any case, eagerly awaiting finished build photos.

Price of the case is $150 + ~$50 shipping to EU.

It won't work with the HDPLEX. No cutouts for it.
The Li-Heat A-Type riser will not work since it has different mounting holes and there's no way to screw it down. Only the Li-Heat D-Type riser is compatible (and the other 2 risers in the main post).

I have no plans right now, but if a flatter, longer type of case is something people would like to see from me, then I'd be more than happy to put my own spin on that form factor.

Thanks. The days are ticking down. It's not much longer. ;)

LeMoNH3aD

Average Stuffer
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic. So tell me what you'd prefer:

Black screws?
or

Stainless screws?

Stainless hex screws for the WIN!

How many cases will you be selling on the first run? How can we order one?

Reactions: DSE

DSE

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
DSE
Feb 8, 2017
We did it. - Build Complete and Cases for Sale

Count me as late, because I am. Sorry about that.

Hi people. I wanted to post this earlier this week, but I got sick with the flu, so that slowed my pace down a bit. But hey, we’re here now.

I don’t even know what to say really.

A little over a year ago, I had this dumb little idea for a computer case. With your help, I was able improve and transform that idea into an actual, feasible design.

This following video represents the culmination of what it was like for me on that slow, frustrating journey from that idea, turning it into a real design, and having it finally set in steel. (and building in it too)

Here is the build log/gallery.

Parts list:
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4-3000 32GB
Motherboard: Asus Strix Z270i
PSU: Corsair SF450
Cooler: Cryorig C7
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB; also two other Samsung SSDs that are 64GB and 120GB each.

Shortening all the power cables myself was probably the most arduous, nerve-wracking, anxiety-inducing thing I have ever done. I really had nothing but hope and faith to guide me when inserting my shortened wires back into their connectors. I never really knew if I had done it right. At the the end of the day, it felt like my fingers were bleeding. It was one huge gamble that I knew if I had done it wrong, could fry like $2000 worth of hardware upon powering it on.

It was so damn stressful. But the relief that came when it actually worked – oh man.

That’s all of my build. Of course the other 10 prototypes in this batch are now available for purchase for the base cost of $150. I’d like to see your builds now.

Use this order form to place your order for a case. Remember, there’s only 10 cases in this batch; so the first 10 people to complete payment will get a case. I’ll notify you and close the form if they’ve sold out.

Remember, the cases in this first batch are prototypes.
I have noticed that the I/O shield requires some force to push into its cutout, and if your motherboard comes with an I/O shield that has foam padding on it, this can cause the shield to bulge out a little bit. Also, when installing the graphics card, it can be a little difficult to screw it down. Other than that, the case is fine. These peculiarities are my fault, not Sliger's.

Shortening all your power cables like I did shouldn’t be necessary, as I was able to fit all the full-length cables into the case. However, shortening the SATA power cable is an absolute necessity in this case if you plan to use any 2.5" drives with the drive bracket. Do it super-short exactly like I did in my video. If you are going to shorten your other cables, I recommend the following lengths:

24 pin – 6.5 inches
CPU power – 10.5 inches
PCI-E power 1 – 8 inches
PCI-E power 2 – 8.5 inches

I also highly, highly recommend these low profile Silverstone SATA cables. Especially if you plan to use 4 drives in the case.

I'll be posting a thing with idle/load temps soon.

Last edited:

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
We did it.

Count me as late, because I am. Sorry about that.

Hi people. I wanted to post this earlier this week, but I got sick with the flu, so that slowed my pace down a bit. But hey, we’re here now.

I don’t even know what to say really.

A little over a year ago from today, I had this dumb little idea for a computer case. With your help, I was able improve and transform that idea into an actual, feasible design.

This following video represents the culmination of what it was like for me on that slow, frustrating journey from that idea, turning it into a real design, and having it finally set in steel. (and building in it too)

Here is the build log/gallery.

Parts list:
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4-3000 32GB
Motherboard: Asus Strix Z270i
PSU: Corsair SF450
Cooler: Cryorig C7
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB; also two other Samsung SSDs that are 64GB and 120GB each.

Shortening all the power cables myself was probably the most arduous, nerve-wracking, anxiety-inducing thing I have ever done. I really had nothing but hope and faith to guide me when inserting my shortened wires back into their connectors. I never really knew if I had done it right. At the the end of the day, it felt like my fingers were bleeding. It was one huge gamble that I knew if I had done it wrong, could fry like $2000 worth of hardware upon powering it on.

It was so damn stressful. But the relief that came when it actually worked – oh man.

That’s all of my build. Of course the other 10 prototypes in this batch are now available for purchase for the base cost of $150. I’d like to see your builds now.

Use this order form to place your order for a case. Remember, there’s only 10 cases in this batch; so the first 10 people to complete payment will get a case. I’ll notify you and close the form if they’ve sold out.

Remember, the cases in this first batch are prototypes.
I have noticed that the I/O shield requires some force to push into its cutout, and if your motherboard comes with an I/O shield that has foam padding on it, this can cause the shield to bulge out a little bit. Also, when installing the graphics card, it can be a little difficult to screw it down. Other than that, the case is fine. These peculiarities are my fault, not Sliger's.

Shortening all your power cables like I did shouldn’t be necessary, as I was able to fit all the full-length cables into the case. However, shortening the SATA power cable is an absolute necessity in this case if you plan to use any 2.5" drives with the drive bracket. Do it super-short exactly like I did in my video. If you are going to shorten your other cables, I recommend the following lengths:

24 pin – 6.5 inches
CPU power – 10.5 inches
PCI-E power 1 – 8 inches
PCI-E Power 2 – 8.5 inches

I also highly, highly recommend these low profile Silverstone SATA cables. Especially if you plan to use 4 drives in the case.

I'll be posting a thing with idle/load temps soon.
That looks amazing!!

Reactions: DSE

DSE

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
DSE
Feb 8, 2017
Just realized you said you used keyshot, what do you like about it? I use gpu preview and rendering with cycles on blender, and also substance painter, but I've seen keyshot being used by artists who I follow and admire.
I just like it for its simplicity. It was very intuitive to use.
Order form filled out and submitted.

Also, looking forward to the 2nd batch red option as well.
I want to cry. :)

Would it be flat-packed?
I find one of the best part of Breathe is its modularity.
makes me think of flat-packed ikea stuff..
Yes, it will be, since I decided that would be the best way to protect the case from any damage in shipping.

Along with the disassembled case in the box, you will receive all necessary screws, the PCI-E riser, a 90-degree power cord for your PSU, and insulating bumpers to put on the back of your motherboard tray to protect your graphics card from shorting out if it doesn't have a backplate.

Do you have any pictures of the prototype?
Now I do. :D

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
I just like it for its simplicity. It was very intuitive to use.

I want to cry. :)

Yes, it will be, since I decided that would be the best way to protect the case from any damage in shipping.

Along with the disassembled case in the box, you will receive all necessary screws, the PCI-E riser, a 90-degree power cord for your PSU, and insulating bumpers to put on the back of your motherboard tray to protect your graphics card from shorting out if it doesn't have a backplate.

Now I do. :D
Can you post them?
*May you post them?

Reactions: DSE and Biowarejak