DAN C4-SFX

poma

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 10, 2023
What cable lengths would I need for GPU and Motherboard? I want to make a build similar to the one from Optimum Tech and order cables from modDIY in advance

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Just the default cables from Corsair SF750 and the gen5 12vhpwr cable kit for 40x0 GPUs

poma

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 10, 2023
12vhpwr [here](https://www.moddiy.com/products/ATX-3.0-PCIe-5.0-600W-Triple-8-Pin-to-12VHPWR-16-Pin-Power-Cable.html) are ordered in length increments of 10cm. I'm wondering what length do I need. Would 20cm be okay?

TheRealGlutenbob

Caliper Novice
May 14, 2020
What would be the best setup for a 280 AIO? fans between the panel and rad, or rad between the panels and fan? this is with fans pulling into the case.

Also can a 92mm exhaust fit in with a 280 AIO?

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Rad between panel and fans.

Depends on the Rad but a 92 slim could fit. But i dont think it will result in better temps. The two 140 fan will easily pull fresh air from back and buttom. No help requires.

Reactions: Dampfbox

TheRealGlutenbob

Caliper Novice
May 14, 2020
Rad between panel and fans.

Depends on the Rad but a 92 slim could fit. But i dont think it will result in better temps. The two 140 fan will easily pull fresh air from back and buttom. No help requires.
I was thinking more about temps for the other components - RAM, VRMs, etc. At worst just to get any hot air out as efficiently as possible.

Thanks for your insight!

EDIT: Just to clarify, from a CPU temp standpoint it's better for the fan to pull in air into the case, from the side panel primarily? or is it better for it to pull air from the back and bottom and push it out of the case through the side panel?

cy-one

Caliper Novice
Jul 31, 2020
Hello sff-enthusiasts!

I'm planning a new build, and as it will be the most expensive PC I've ever built in 20+ years of gaming, I wanna make sure everything fits together.
In preparation I've flicked through this thread and especially read the last 10-20 pages in closer detail.

I'm somewhat confident in my choices, but would love some other opinions.

Case: C4-SFX, obviously
MoBo: ASUS ROG Strix B650E-I Gaming WIFI
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
CPU-Cooler: Noctua NH-D12L
GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X, it should fit as far as I am aware (clearance being 336x137x79mm, GPU size being 320x135.75x71.6mm)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB, DDR5-6000 (35mm height)
Storage: Kingston KC3000 PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD 2TB (system drive @ 7000/7000 MB/s on the front) and Crucial P3 SSD 4TB (mass storage @ 3500/3000 MB/s on the back)
PSU: One of the parts I'm really strugglin' to find a decision on. I want a 12VHPWR-capable PSU for future compatibility. While I don't plan on OC'ing the GPU, I am aware it can pull up to 500W when doing so. Which means I'd need a PSU capable of supplying that, especially if GPUs continue to hog more power in the future. The only SFX-PSUs with 12VHPWR I could find were the Lian Li SP850 (which can only supply 350-400W over the 12VHPWR and is therefor out of the race), the SilverStone Extreme Series EX850R (which can supply 450W via 12VHPWR and is also out of the race), the Thermaltake Toughpower SFX 1000W Gold - TT Premium Edition (which is able to supply 600W) and the Cooler Master V-Series SFX Platinum V1100 (for which I couldn't find specifics in regards to it's 12VHPWR-supply, but I trust it should also be able to supply 600W there).
I'm currently tending to the Thermaltake, as it's 120€ less expensive than the CM one - but I'd like to hear some opinions on that decision.

Besides that, I might deshroud the Nitro to use 2-3 Noctuas instead, but I'm not hellbent on that yet.
I'm also interested in any other comments or opinions you guys might have on my plan. I believe myself somewhat well-prepared, but one can never be too cautious when it comes to such a big expense.

Cheers, cy

Last edited:

sparkymark75

Efficiency Noob
Mar 2, 2023
Hello sff-enthusiasts!

I'm planning a new build, and as it will be the most expensive PC I've ever built in 20+ years of gaming, I wanna make sure everything fits together.
In preparation I've flicked through this thread and especially read the last 10-20 pages in closer detail.

I'm somewhat confident in my choices, but would love some other opinions.

Case: C4-SFX, obviously
MoBo: ASUS ROG Strix B650E-I Gaming WIFI
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
CPU-Cooler: Noctua NH-D12L
GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X, it should fit as far as I am aware (clearance being 336x137x79mm, GPU size being 320x135.75x71.6mm)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB, DDR5-6000 (35mm height)
Storage: Kingston KC3000 PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD 2TB (system drive @ 7000/7000 MB/s on the front) and Crucial P3 SSD 4TB (mass storage @ 3500/3000 MB/s on the back)
PSU: One of the parts I'm really strugglin' to find a decision on. I want a 12VHPWR-capable PSU for future compatibility. While I don't plan on OC'ing the GPU, I am aware it can pull up to 500W when doing so. Which means I'd need a PSU capable of supplying that, especially if GPUs continue to hog more power in the future. The only SFX-PSUs with 12VHPWR I could find were the Lian Li SP850 (which can only supply 350-400W over the 12VHPWR and is therefor out of the race), the SilverStone Extreme Series EX850R (which can supply 450W via 12VHPWR and is also out of the race), the Thermaltake Toughpower SFX 1000W Gold - TT Premium Edition (which is able to supply 600W) and the Cooler Master V-Series SFX Platinum V1100 (for which I couldn't find specifics in regards to it's 12VHPWR-supply, but I trust it should also be able to supply 600W there).
I'm currently tending to the Thermaltake, as it's 120€ less expensive than the CM one - but I'd like to hear some opinions on that decision.

Besides that, I might deshroud the Nitro to use 2-3 Noctuas instead, but I'm not hellbent on that yet.
I'm also interested in any other comments or opinions you guys might have on my plan. I believe myself somewhat well-prepared, but one can never be too cautious when it comes to such a big expense.

Cheers, cy
Only comment I had is to buy the PSU from a retailer with a good returns policy. I bought the 750W version of the Thermaltake and it had horrible coil whine and had to return it. For now, I've stuck with the Corsair SF750 with the Corsair 12VHPWR cable. This runs my 13700K and 4090 fine.

m4nii

Trash Compacter
Feb 22, 2022
@cy-one there was already a pretty long going discussions about PSUs from Page #129 onwards (starts approx. here: DAN C4-SFX | SFF.Network (smallformfactor.net))

i'm currently sticking with the SS EX850R - it's way more silent than the CM and i didn't notice any drawbacks with my 4090.

General update about my setup: i've now received the Direct-Die upgrade Kit from EKWB and did the delid last weekend. was pretty tough on the 13th gen cpu compared to the previous delids i did but it (mostly) worked :-)

Only problem is, that one RAM Slot now isn't working (RAM is often said to be problematic when delidding/messing around with the CPU socket) - so i'm still debugging - but as the system boots with one stick of RAM i already did some basic temp testings and can say that temps are way better with direct-die cooling. (almost hit the 40k at cinebench R23 without thermal throttling) which was impossible before. :-)

boundary-stone

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2023
Why 7700X and not 7800X3D?
Not worth $100-150 for 1-2% performance boost?

Also, the X3D chips aren't eligible for the free Jedi Survivor game promo so if you value that game at anything close to the $60 retail pricing that widens the price gap even further.

Last edited:

boundary-stone

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2023
I'm not CPU-bottlenecked and the rig is already expensive enough at 2.6k € without the case.
The X3D-CPUs are cool, but that's about it. I don't need it.
You could save another +/- $60 going for the Thermalright Silver Soul 135 instead of the D12L too. It's also featured on the C4-SFX "Recommended Heatsinks" list (https://www.dan-cases.com/c4sfx_spec.html). There are also cheaper / similarly performing NVME drives for your 2TB / 4TB boot / storage setup which could save you another +/- $100 or more.

For power supplies at this point I'd stick to the SF750. More than enough power for a 7700x / 4090 combo, nice stock cables, proven reliability over a period of multiple years of actual consumer usage etc.. Corsair makes / sells their own 12VPWHR adapter which is very flexible if you ever need one too. Any of the current lineup of SFX 4.0 (ATX 3.0 for SFF) PSU's are still a bit of an unknown and are extremely unlikely to actually perform better than the SF750 despite being rated for the new spec. The SF750 is a beast.

Last edited:

cy-one

Caliper Novice
Jul 31, 2020
Thank you @boundary-stone, did some more searching.
for NVME-drives, the best I can find for the 2TB system drive when I go down to 6GB/s read/write would be a 20€ save there (which isn't worth it for me). The Crucial is already the cheapest 4TB at 3GB/s read/write that I can find here.

I've added both the Silver Soul 135 and the SF750 to my list though, thank you :)