DAN C4-SFX

Xenos

Chassis Packer
Apr 22, 2020
Another excellent update.

The 6mm height difference seems well worth it to me. But then I'm not obsessed with volume. I don't take my PC anywhere, so I'm more bothered about footprint, i.e. how much of my desk can I get back.
I'll have to agree with you that footprint > volume, my perfect case would be tower style like the child of a NZXT H1 and Formd T1 ?

Daemos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 3, 2017
As a current A4 owner with a 92mm aio...I would love to move into something like this for better CPU cooling.

Although I would prefer it to be as compact as possible, the extra 6 mm may make the case more attractive to some buyers. But I would love a smaller option that just takes the A4 and has the ability to use a common off the shelf 240mm AIO something in between the A4 and M1.

McPhee

Trash Compacter
Feb 19, 2020
As a current A4 owner with a 92mm aio...I would love to move into something like this for better CPU cooling.

Although I would prefer it to be as compact as possible, the extra 6 mm may make the case more attractive to some buyers. But I would love a smaller option that just takes the A4 and has the ability to use a common off the shelf 240mm AIO something in between the A4 and M1.

But then you'd lose a fair bit of compatibility and only reduce the size by a modest amount.

The C4, with the increase in height, is 1.6L larger than the FormD T1. That 1.6L buys full 240mm AIO compatibility, support for much larger heatsinks, uncompromising triple slot GPU support (i.e. there isn't a trade-off like the the T1, where you lose CPU cooler clearance if you want to use a large GPU), room for two extra drives, and a flexible layout. Think 1.6L is a huge amount? Then maybe consider that the C4 is 1.6L smaller than the Ncase M1 while offering pretty much identical compatibility.

Though I do get the point. It is a bit odd that there isn't a ~10L sandwich case with broad 240mm AIO compatibility. The FormD T1 is ~1cm in height away from achieving that, which is a shame.

McPhee

Trash Compacter
Feb 19, 2020
I can't find the edit post button. But here's a size comparison of the Formd T1 and the Dancase C4:

Cases are stood vertically because that tool is weird. I couldn't get the cases sat horizontally next to each other; if the cases were horizontal, it would put them in a line.

Daemos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 3, 2017
But then you'd lose a fair bit of compatibility and only reduce the size by a modest amount.

Yep that's why it makes business sense to make it taller.

Though I do get the point. It is a bit odd that there isn't a ~10L sandwich case with broad 240mm AIO compatibility. The FormD T1 is ~1cm in height away from achieving that, which is a shame.

Yep...doesn't even need to be a sandwich...no riser cable = one less thing to possibly fail.

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
Agree with much of what's been said above. If the A4's emphasis was size, the C4's is compatibility and flexibility. Once 'minimum absolute volume' has been set aside as a guiding principle, another 0.3 liters doesn't change the equation. It's an ~11 liter case either way.

I do wonder whether the C4 can stand out in terms of industrial design. The A4 caught lightning in bottle in this regard, partially because of its unique size but largely due to its single-piece wraparound front and top. Similarly, the very first iteration of the C4 had a 'je ne sais quoi' about its appearance for many forum readers. It's unclear whether this was due to its dimensions, its boxy edges, or the extruded front, but whatever it was that design seemed to click with many.

I fear this iteration of the C4 has no such defining visual characteristic. It doesn't need one to be a very good case, but I do think this is required of a great case. If you squint the C4 reads like an M1, only with rounded rather than tapered front edges. And the M1 is not a beautiful case IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoarst

Daemos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 3, 2017
Agree with much of what's been said above. If the A4's emphasis was size, the C4's is compatibility and flexibility. Once 'minimum absolute volume' has been set aside as a guiding principle, another 0.3 liters doesn't change the equation. It's an ~11 liter case either way.

Well there has to be a limit of where people stop, I don't think the 6mm in height will be enough of a difference. But people might keep pushing for more and more...then you just get an M1 with different panels.

I fear this iteration fo the C4 has no such defining visual characteristic. It doesn't need one to be a very good case, but I do think this is required of a great case. If you squint the C4 reads like an M1, only with rounded rather than tapered front edges. And the M1 is not a beautiful case IMO.

Fully agree, the A4 looks great and sleek. The current C4 seems to be a step backwards from the A4 looks wise, I am not a designer, but I think it's mostly to do with the vent design, side and top and bottom espically when it can be flipped. The front looks great, and I think the tempered glass side panel looks great, but for maximum thermals...the vents just don't seem great.

Prothea

Average Stuffer
Aug 26, 2018
Well there has to be a limit of where people stop, I don't think the 6mm in height will be enough of a difference. But people might keep pushing for more and more...then you just get an M1 with different panels.
I think he's in the best place to stop. The 6mm increase gives full 3 slot compatability for both sandwich and traditional layout. If there's a line in the sand to be drawn, it's here.

Reactions: Bonusround

Hoarst

Efficiency Noob
Apr 15, 2020

I do wonder whether the C4 can stand out in terms of industrial design. The A4 caught lightning in bottle in this regard, partially because of its unique size but also largely due to its single-piece wraparound front and top. Similarly, the very first iteration of the C4 had a 'je ne sais quoi' about its appearance for many forum readers. It's unclear whether this was due to its dimensions, its boxy edges, or the extruded front, but whatever it was that design seemed to click with many.

I fear this iteration fo the C4 has no such defining visual characteristic. It doesn't need one to be a very good case, but I do think this is required of a great case. If you squint the C4 reads like an M1, only with rounded rather than tapered front edges. And the M1 is not a beautiful case IMO.

I couldn't agree less, especially on the M1 opinion, the 11liter size stays about the same and is enugh to accomodate everything that makes sense to appeal those who don't already have an itx build.

I also think that the version of the old c4- looked much better with the all around metal part (below is what i mean). But I don't know if it hast too look as great as this one below normally it's all about availability - as long as not a large amount of casemakers don't jump on the sff market it will always be about which case you are able to get, as long as they don't look really bad.

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
I also think that the version of the old c4- looked much better with the all around metal part (below is what i mean). But I don't know if it hast too look as great as this one below normally it's all about availability - as long as not a large amount of casemakers don't jump on the sff market it will always be about which case you are able to get, as long as they don't look really bad.

That's right, the C4 did have a single wraparound piece, across the sides and top and fastening just under the bottom. @dondan, is this something you might entertain for the current C4, or are there factors that remove it from consideration? It seems you've already overcome any tolerance issues with the A4. I suppose such a piece may introduce extra parts for TG variations, but that's already the case, no?

Rankless

Trash Compacter
Sep 6, 2018
Every once and a while, I see a picture of the old C4 designs and I remember why I used to follow these threads so closely.

Then I remember that the old case is never going to exist, and remember why I stopped.

Reactions: Arboreal

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
Every once and a while, I see a picture of the old C4 designs and I remember why I used to follow these threads so closely.

Then I remember that the old case is never going to exist, and remember why I stopped.

Well that's very generous of you. Unfortunately I suspect your milk will remain spilled.

• Haha
Reactions: Boil

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Interesting to see the dear old original C4 again, lovely design.
Things have moved on over time, it’s been a long and sometimes bumpy journey.
For me the new design doesn’t have the same visual appeal, as it isn’t as distinctive as the original was.
BUT
The new design is so much more advanced and offers a lot more flexibility.
Dan, thank you for sticking with the courage of your convictions by redesigning the case and taking it to a new level.
”The king is dead, long live the King!

sdbruder

Cable Smoosher
Mar 20, 2020
Next Steps
  • Make a Prototype
  • Create the manual
  • Test the prototype
  • Reviews
  • Update media material
  • CE-Validation
  • Release
@dondan, asking about where we (you, really, not us :p) are in that process, you are still prototyping it? What's an educated guess for a release date?

Pat-Roner

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2016
2.5 Slot with 25mm thick case 120-fan (Arctic Accelero)

Absolutely love that you are having this setup in mind. It's such a powerful setup for us that like silence but not want watercooling. The performance is unparallelled.

Anyone gunning for a traditional layout and want that 3-slots would probably go with the M1

Why? The M1 has been out for years now and lots of people want something new. I have had my M1 for 6 years now and want to upgrade, but for me to go with something that dosent support Arctic Accelero and 25mm fans is out of the question due to the performance it brings.

A case dosent need to me a "master" of anything other than compatability and design.

What @dondan is suggesting is making it more compatible while still keeping the design nice and sleek. Also the added height gives more room for watercooling, HHDs etc. There are more than enough cases competing for the "sandwich" market, but barely any cases competing with the M1. There is a reason the M1 is hugely successful - Dancase should try to get into that market instead of competing with his own case.

Jeydub

Cable Smoosher
Oct 28, 2018
@Shasmeina I had the same question a while back, with a similar build in mind as well. Dan said it's a possibility that will be looked into further in the prototype testing phase. He also recently contemplated adding some height to the case to allow for full sized fans on a bottom mounted radiator as well.

warspitebattleship

Caliper Novice
Mar 25, 2020
C4 must not be other form of Ncase. You should add some killer feature like mAtx compatibility in smallest possible form like +10mm height to ncase, or be smaller. I totally do not like increase in size - better not to wait for C4 and buy right now ncase. No need to look for this oversized by marketing gpus if we have fantastic founders edition.
No riser (v4 now), Noctua D9, 2080-3080 founders in smallest possible form - thats a killer for me.
Just opinion.