DAN C4-SFX

amar92

Cable Smoosher
Feb 20, 2024
The C4 v1 is 14.7 L, what would it be if Dan would keep the 4.4 Slot GPU that was planned for v2 (15.4L) plus add 1-2 cm for the width ? 16.5 L ?

Ghost R1 looks appealing because of the Cooler height, but it still can't fit a 3-Slot GPU and Noctuas A14x25 G2 which will all the SFF enthusiasts use, probably. Plus, I kind of don't find it as attractive as a C4.

I mean, yes, Nvidia may be switching to SFF Ready for their next Founders Edition cards, as I can't imagine them pushing it and then making their own GPU not comply to it. So yeah, we might really see a 2.5 Slot 5080-90. That would actually make it possible to mount the card plus the 140x25 in the v1 also. Would be great.

I'm just dreaming, and a few people I talked to as well, about the same design like the v1 just adding 1-2 USB A ports for the IO, 4.4 GPU, 155-165mm cooler height. Perfect case.

Could mount a big CPU cooler on a presumably 9950X/X3D, RTX 5090 with 2x Noctuas A14x25 G2 on top of the GPU, and 1 as exhaust. The width could just make it able to mount a 120mm in the back, maybe. Just imagine that.

Yummy, just yummy.

@dondan - Can you give us a direction in which you're going with the case, just so we all know what to plan for ? 16.5 L is not big. Its a middle point. Still smaller than a NR200 but GREATLY IMPROVED compability.

A question to other users - How do you feel about the R1 or the M2? Anyone going for those?

Stay well, stay safe, may your framerates be high and your temperatures low ! :)

amar92

Cable Smoosher
Feb 20, 2024
The C4 v1 is 14.7 L, what would it be if Dan would keep the 4.4 Slot GPU that was planned for v2 (15.4L) plus add 1-2 cm for the width ? 16.5 L ?

Ghost R1 looks appealing because of the Cooler height, but it still can't fit a 3-Slot GPU and Noctuas A14x25 G2 which will all the SFF enthusiasts use, probably. Plus, I kind of don't find it as attractive as a C4.

I mean, yes, Nvidia may be switching to SFF Ready for their next Founders Edition cards, as I can't imagine them pushing it and then making their own GPU not comply to it. So yeah, we might really see a 2.5 Slot 5080-90. That would actually make it possible to mount the card plus the 140x25 in the v1 also. Would be great.

I'm just dreaming, and a few people I talked to as well, about the same design like the v1 just adding 1-2 USB A ports for the IO, 4.4 GPU, 155-165mm cooler height. Perfect case.

Could mount a big CPU cooler on a presumably 9950X/X3D, RTX 5090 with 2x Noctuas A14x25 G2 on top of the GPU, and 1 as exhaust. The width could just make it able to mount a 120mm in the back, maybe. Just imagine that.

Yummy, just yummy.

@dondan - Can you give us a direction in which you're going with the case, just so we all know what to plan for ? 16.5 L is not big. Its a middle point. Still smaller than a NR200 but GREATLY IMPROVED compability.

A question to other users - How do you feel about the R1 or the M2? Anyone going for those?

Stay well, stay safe, may your framerates be high and your temperatures low ! :)

Covuk

Average Stuffer
Jun 13, 2023
Speaking of the M2, it would be great if Dan could incorporate the same premium anodization finish that Ncase is using:

Finally, a super premium silver finish that seems to be on par with Apple computers. I wonder what factory they're using to accomplish this because they even managed to hit a very solid price point. IMO, The C4 could differentiate itself from the M2 (and the C4 V1) if you incorporated this quality of ano, but with stamped-hole aluminum side panels instead of fine mesh.
From how its being described in that video, C4-SFX v1 finish is already comparable (its VERY good). It would have been more useful if Optimum had made that comparison rather than with the NCASE M1/Apple device.

amar92

Cable Smoosher
Feb 20, 2024
From how its being described in that video, C4-SFX v1 finish is already comparable (its VERY good). It would have been more useful if Optimum had made that comparison rather than with the NCASE M1/Apple device.
I really like the build quality and overall design of the C4, I'm totally in love with the case to be honest, so straightforward and well thought out. Thats why I'd so love if it had just a bit more height and width without changing anything else, design wise. As I'd like it to be my perfect case for years to come.

Facteur

Caliper Novice
Feb 6, 2024
The R1 does look like a pretty good case, but unfortunately the production version is restricted to ITX.

I'm really glad that the M2 has been released, and the early reviews are positive.
It means there's now a solid choice for those of us requiring mATX compatibility.

My time frame for a new build is autumn 2024/early 2025... by then, Ncase should have made the silver version of the M2 widely available ; we'll get more rumours/infos about the size of the upcoming GPUs from nVidia/AMD/Intel ; and Dan should have decided whether he wants to make the C4 v2 ITX-only or also compatible with mATX.

Hence for me it's going to be a toss between the M2 and, depending on Dan's decision, the C4 v2.

My heart is with a front-I/O mATX C4 v2... but failing that, the M2 will be a more-than-decent fall back 🙂

Reactions: amar92

amar92

Cable Smoosher
Feb 20, 2024
The R1 does look like a pretty good case, but unfortunately the production version is restricted to ITX.

I'm really glad that the M2 has been released, and the early reviews are positive.
It means there's now a solid choice for those of us requiring mATX compatibility.

My time frame for a new build is autumn 2024/early 2025... by then, Ncase should have made the silver version of the M2 widely available ; we'll get more rumours/infos about the size of the upcoming GPUs from nVidia/AMD/Intel ; and Dan should have decided whether he wants to make the C4 v2 ITX-only or also compatible with mATX.

Hence for me it's going to be a toss between the M2 and, depending on Dan's decision, the C4 v2.

My heart is with a front-I/O mATX C4 v2... but failing that, the M2 will be a more-than-decent fall back 🙂
What would you like to see in the C4 v2 dimensions-wise? Or which compability would be important to you?

boundary-stone

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2023
Speaking of the M2, it would be great if Dan could incorporate the same premium anodization finish that Ncase is using:

Finally, a super premium silver finish that seems to be on par with Apple computers. I wonder what factory they're using to accomplish this because they even managed to hit a very solid price point. IMO, The C4 could differentiate itself from the M2 (and the C4 V1) if you incorporated this quality of ano, but with stamped-hole aluminum side panels instead of fine mesh.
I like the idea of anodized aluminum, but the M2 in (mostly) silver comes with black side panels so the overall look is... a bit of an acquired taste.

The all black is $60 less than the silver / black mashup and even if they were both the same price I'd still choose the all black one over the silver / black.

boundary-stone

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2023
What would you like to see in the C4 v2 dimensions-wise? Or which compability would be important to you?
Now that the M2 is out the C4 v2 probably needs a unique selling point vs the M2.

Adding an extra 10mm of width to the C4 v2 would allow it to accommodate 155mm tower coolers, improve fitment with wider GPUs and allow for thicker side mounted rads / rad fans / taller AIO pump blocks which would make it a notably more flexible case.

Would love to have a 15-18L case that could fit more affordable high performance cooling options - like the PS120SE for air cooling or the Arctic Freezer III 280 AIO (38mm rad, 68.5mm tall pump block = SFF headache). Essentially something with NR200 level build flexibility, but higher build quality and mounts for 140mm fans to maximize airflow / minimize noise.

Facteur

Caliper Novice
Feb 6, 2024
I'm planning for air cooling, with something like a Peerless Assassin 120 Mini.
Given this isn't a demanding configuration, space-wise, I'd like to see the C4 v2 stick as close as possible to a 15L volume.

This being said, @boundary-stone made relevant points. If enlarging the case just a wee bit allows for much improved fitments, this ought to be considered.

Covuk

Average Stuffer
Jun 13, 2023
What's the USP here? Small and premium I suggest. Those two items need to be maintained.

Going too large just puts a C4 v2 in competition with more cases. For me it would have to be that same or thereabouts as v1, a few mm wider to accommodate more makes of 280mm AIO would be nice though.

loopaddiction

Caliper Novice
Dec 4, 2018

I'm not doubting C4 v1 has a nice finish, I never had a chance to see for myself due to the botched US release. It did look great in pictures and videos, besides the front and side panel variance. Ali does quote the M2 for having "the nicest finish that I have seen in any PC case," and he's not nearly as bad as other tech YouTuber's when it comes to exaggerated and overhyped claims. Speaking of panel variance, I still think the C4 v2 can make great headway in the quality department if he can somehow nail down a uniform finish without blowing up the manufacturing cost. Just a random picture from reddit, but this definitely doesn't look to be the same quality as Apple:

The M2 skirts this potential issue through the use of fine-mesh side panels. Panel variance aside, I still think the above looks way better than fine-mesh. Happy Dan decided to move away from it for the C4 V2, and glad Louqe hasn't jumped on the bandwagon either. It really cheapens the look of otherwise premium designs.

Last edited:

Covuk

Average Stuffer
Jun 13, 2023
I have to say, that variance looks way worse than it does on mine. I can only assume it's in the worst possible angle/light.

Agreed on mesh - it just doesn't feel premium to me, no matter how its done - if the M2 had avoided it I'm pretty sure I'd have ordered one.

loopaddiction

Caliper Novice
Dec 4, 2018
I have to say, that variance looks way worse than it does on mine. I can only assume it's in the worst possible angle/light.

Agreed on mesh - it just doesn't feel premium to me, no matter how its done - if the M2 had avoided it I'm pretty sure I'd have ordered one.

Could very well be the lighting that makes it look worse than it actually is.

Likewise, the mesh is the only thing that's keeping me away from the M2. Otherwise I think it's the best 'new' design so far in this niche of the SFF market (besides the C4 V1).

The Louqe Ghost R1 comes in a close second but there are certain things I don't like, such as:
-No silver color.
-Powdercoated instead of anodized. Also, no physical prototype exists so we can't see how the grey powdercoat option actually looks like. Renders can often times be inaccurate and/or misleading.
-Visible screws on the side panel are an eye-sore.
-Semi-open bottom. Not a huge deal for me personally, but I understand why it's an issue for others.

Hoping Dan one-ups the other brands with the C4 V2, perfect opportunity to do so here.

amar92

Cable Smoosher
Feb 20, 2024
Now that the M2 is out the C4 v2 probably needs a unique selling point vs the M2.

Adding an extra 10mm of width to the C4 v2 would allow it to accommodate 155mm tower coolers, improve fitment with wider GPUs and allow for thicker side mounted rads / rad fans / taller AIO pump blocks which would make it a notably more flexible case.

Would love to have a 15-18L case that could fit more affordable high performance cooling options - like the PS120SE for air cooling or the Arctic Freezer III 280 AIO (38mm rad, 68.5mm tall pump block = SFF headache). Essentially something with NR200 level build flexibility, but higher build quality and mounts for 140mm fans to maximize airflow / minimize noise.
Exactly my thoughts ! I'd love to see that. It would be sooo flexible without being bigger than an NR200 which is considered "a standard SFF" case.

Reactions: hrh_ginsterbusch

masteraleph

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 28, 2017
Could very well be the lighting that makes it look worse than it actually is.

Likewise, the mesh is the only thing that's keeping me away from the M2. Otherwise I think it's the best 'new' design so far in this niche of the SFF market (besides the C4 V1).

The Louqe Ghost R1 comes in a close second but there are certain things I don't like, such as:
-No silver color.
-Powdercoated instead of anodized. Also, no physical prototype exists so we can't see how the grey powdercoat option actually looks like. Renders can often times be inaccurate and/or misleading.
-Visible screws on the side panel are an eye-sore.
-Semi-open bottom. Not a huge deal for me personally, but I understand why it's an issue for others.

Hoping Dan one-ups the other brands with the C4 V2, perfect opportunity to do so here.
Agreed- it's the lack of mesh that's the selling point for me (also tbh not being ~180mm, where I feel like there are other options)

Quigonjinn

Trash Compacter
May 8, 2023
M2 just killed this case...
lol, where you have been for a year? It’s the same M1 Evo just 6mm wider and may be fixed flimsy panels.

also the guy is super slimy and I would no longer purchase a Ncase product after what he did to 3FC, Lian-li, and SSUPD and tried to portray himself as a victim. Necere is no longer involved in Ncase so the company is pretty much dead to some of us who saw the lies and slimy behaviour for past few months.

boundary-stone

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2023

Yummy, just yummy.

More or less exactly this.

Just a premium looking NR200 style do-it-all type case that had improved GPU compatibility, offers an inverted layout for lower GPU temps and adds top 140mm fan support while maintaining side bracket 140mm fan / 280mm aio support and offering enough width for 155mm air coolers or AIO's with thicker combined rad / fan / pump height like the AF3 series.

Thicc AIO setup? No problem. Peerless Assassin? No problem. Want to install 4x A14x25 G2's because... Noctua? No problem.

boundary-stone

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2023
lol, where you have been for a year? It’s the same M1 Evo just 6mm wider and may be fixed flimsy panels.

also the guy is super slimy and I would no longer purchase a Ncase product after what he did to 3FC, Lian-li, and SSUPD and tried to portray himself as a victim. Necere is no longer involved in Ncase so the company is pretty much dead to some of us who saw the lies and slimy behaviour for past few months.
If the M2 case ships and C4-SFX v2 doesn't... I think M2 wins be default?

Reactions: Boggle