DAN C4-SFX

rosioara

Efficiency Noob
Jun 2, 2023
I mounted the PSU on the front of the case. In this way I managed to keep the wind tunnel between the PSU and the GPU.

I chose the Be Quiet Silent Loop 2 because I wanted to connect the pump directly to the mainboard. I wanted to avoid USB and SATA connectors to the AIO, to minimise the cables floating around.

Initially I bought a Corsair SF1000L but the cables are way too stiff and the 12vhpwr cable bending was impossible. Asus cables are very flexible.

Albatross1486

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2023
@Albatross1486 - just in case you were thinking about Gigabyte looks like there is a new bios version that explicitly says it "Addresses Download Assistant Vulnerabilities Reported by Eclypsium Research". https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B650I-AORUS-ULTRA-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios
Thank you! Glad to see they are quick on the response. Of course, my issue is that Microcenter has no Gigabytes in stock; only a used Asus B650E-I and two ASRock B650, which are...OK. Dual M.2 including one PCIe 5.0, PCIe 5.0 for GPU (not needed yet but nice to have), M.2 heatsink/fan are removable and don't look too annoying like on the Gigabyte. Downsides are single USB-C on the back, and 4x USB 2.0. Who does that in 2023? To be honest, I have the ASRock B550 PG board and it's been fine.
I was honestly also thinking about the Intel i5-13400, which is another low power chip. 10 cores, 6 performance and 4 efficient. $220+110 for RAM vs $409 for the 7900X with free RAM. Asus B760i board is $210 vs $270 for the ASRock, and has dual M.2 (only gen4 but eh), PCIe 5.0 for GPU, 2x USB-C on the rear. That top heatsink looks big, and I don't know if you can take it off like the M.2 one for the ASRock. And if I'm feeling spendy, there's a Z790 from ASRock with a lot of great features including 3x M.2, PCIe 5.0, and dual Thunderbolt ports. Truly a futureproof board.
Given that the store has fewer AMD options, I might try those first and if I run into clearance issues or anything else, I can just return them and go Intel.

grum

Efficiency Noob
May 29, 2023
I have an update on my endavor of mounting an ASRock 13.3'' side panel kit onto the DAN-C4.

IT WORKS, no modification of anything required.

Just a bit of messy cabling but that can be fixed later, airflow to PSU will be a bit harder now but the GPU should be unaffected, lets hope the glue holds! :)

I was surprised the side panel closed with no issues despite the eDP cable being somewhat in the way but everything seems to be working fien so no complaints on my part

TheClash

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2017
Thank you! Glad to see they are quick on the response. Of course, my issue is that Microcenter has no Gigabytes in stock; only a used Asus B650E-I and two ASRock B650, which are...OK. Dual M.2 including one PCIe 5.0, PCIe 5.0 for GPU (not needed yet but nice to have), M.2 heatsink/fan are removable and don't look too annoying like on the Gigabyte. Downsides are single USB-C on the back, and 4x USB 2.0. Who does that in 2023? To be honest, I have the ASRock B550 PG board and it's been fine.
I was honestly also thinking about the Intel i5-13400, which is another low power chip. 10 cores, 6 performance and 4 efficient. $220+110 for RAM vs $409 for the 7900X with free RAM. Asus B760i board is $210 vs $270 for the ASRock, and has dual M.2 (only gen4 but eh), PCIe 5.0 for GPU, 2x USB-C on the rear. That top heatsink looks big, and I don't know if you can take it off like the M.2 one for the ASRock. And if I'm feeling spendy, there's a Z790 from ASRock with a lot of great features including 3x M.2, PCIe 5.0, and dual Thunderbolt ports. Truly a futureproof board.
Given that the store has fewer AMD options, I might try those first and if I run into clearance issues or anything else, I can just return them and go Intel.
I feel your pain, here in Oz there are very few choices if you want to go AMD. I snapped up a good deal on a 7800X3D and was then stuck with that choice. I only have three options, MSI which seems ok but seems poorly priced for what it comes with, Gigabyte a bit more feature rich and I got it again on sale for only $80AUD more than the MSI (seemed worth it for a M.2 Gen5 slot). Last is an Asus which is almost 50% more expensive again (which seems bonkers), and they don't have a great rep atm!

Reactions: Albatross1486

grum

Efficiency Noob
May 29, 2023
I feel your pain, here in Oz there are very few choices if you want to go AMD. I snapped up a good deal on a 7800X3D and was then stuck with that choice. I only have three options, MSI which seems ok but seems poorly priced for what it comes with, Gigabyte a bit more feature rich and I got it again on sale for only $80AUD more than the MSI (seemed worth it for a M.2 Gen5 slot). Last is an Asus which is almost 50% more expensive again (which seems bonkers), and they don't have a great rep atm!
I heard a lot about coil whine on the ASUS ROG B650E-I even BEFORE all the controversy, that thing is notorious for coil whine and how the mod on ASUS forum handled it.... the guy just said "It's your PSU's fault, it's expo, etc. , but I have a 400$ 1200W Titanium powersupply and don't have that issue :). Which is totally believable I mean who doesn't run a 400$ 1200W ATX power supply with a 300$ ITX Motherboard.

Albatross1486

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2023
Ya, it's rough out there rn. I do tend to like AMD for their logarithmic performance scale with power, meaning a 7900 will nearly match the 7900x, and I don't mind the AM5 tax. It's the Asus tax that kills me, plus their burning issue and the coil whine on the B650E-I. The Gigabyte would be my choice if I could get it today, I just don't know how long I'm willing to postpone as I have a drive and PSU here and I want to get them tested before the return period ends.
And then there's a whole other set of options with Intel. At least Microcenter seems to have those in stock. This really is the worst anxiety I've had over PC part decision making in a long time.

grum

Efficiency Noob
May 29, 2023
Ya, it's rough out there rn. I do tend to like AMD for their logarithmic performance scale with power, meaning a 7900 will nearly match the 7900x, and I don't mind the AM5 tax. It's the Asus tax that kills me, plus their burning issue and the coil whine on the B650E-I. The Gigabyte would be my choice if I could get it today, I just don't know how long I'm willing to postpone as I have a drive and PSU here and I want to get them tested before the return period ends.
And then there's a whole other set of options with Intel. At least Microcenter seems to have those in stock. This really is the worst anxiety I've had over PC part decision making in a long time.
I personally have the ASRock B650E PG-ITX with PCIE 5.0 and all it wasn't a terrible deal compared to others and the only real option other than ASUS but I don't know how that is aviable where you are. In Europe the Gigabyte ITX board doesn't exist at all.

Reactions: Albatross1486

Albatross1486

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2023
I personally have the ASRock B650E PG-ITX with PCIE 5.0 and all it wasn't a terrible deal compared to others and the only real option other than ASUS but I don't know how that is aviable where you are. In Europe the Gigabyte ITX board doesn't exist at all.
This is the only AMD board I can get new today (outside of the stupid X670 from Asus which is a no-go for a bunch of reasons). It's on the lower end price-wise for AM5 boards, and similarly for features. It's OK and I'd probably be OK with it?
Have you had any issues? What CPU are you rolling with? Can you set Eco mode in the BIOS or is that only in the Ryzen Master software?

grum

Efficiency Noob
May 29, 2023
This is the only AMD board I can get new today (outside of the stupid X670 from Asus which is a no-go for a bunch of reasons). It's on the lower end price-wise for AM5 boards, and similarly for features. It's OK and I'd probably be OK with it?
Have you had any issues? What CPU are you rolling with? Can you set Eco mode in the BIOS or is that only in the Ryzen Master software?
I'm rocking a 7800X3D but settings power targets and all is done in BIOS with PBO as far as I'm aware, dfefault PBO for the non X CPU's is 65W iirc, but you can cahnge that to 140W on the 7900 (achieivng X performance) or inbetween

Albatross1486

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2023
I'm rocking a 7800X3D but settings power targets and all is done in BIOS with PBO as far as I'm aware, dfefault PBO for the non X CPU's is 65W iirc, but you can cahnge that to 140W on the 7900 (achieivng X performance) or inbetween
I want to go from 170W on the 7900x to 65W to make it a 7900. I'm hoping that BIOS updates have made that a one-click option, but I know there are guides around. And of course it'll throttle if needed, but I would like to keep it at the 65W since that's still giving like 90% of the performance.

grum

Efficiency Noob
May 29, 2023
I want to go from 170W on the 7900x to 65W to make it a 7900. I'm hoping that BIOS updates have made that a one-click option, but I know there are guides around. And of course it'll throttle if needed, but I would like to keep it at the 65W since that's still giving like 90% of the performance.
you can do that natively with PBO, nothing stopping you

keepITcool

Efficiency Noob
Jun 2, 2023
Some notes that I ran into when assembling in the system. I have an EVGA 3080 FTW3 (137mm height) deshrouded and an SF750.

1. The stock corsair cables are too thick for this case. The side panel doesn't close and you need proper unsleeved/silicone cables or some trimmed down microfit connectors.

2. Using the 180 PCI-E adapters involves removing the fan duct and the extra angled barrier on the side fan bracket to fit.

3. You can't fit any aftermarket M.2 heatsinks on the rear M.2 ssd. There's no clearance for fitment.
Just assembled mine. Also struggled with the Corsair power cables. My Lumen S28 AIO rad fits perfect, but I swapped the 25mm fans for 27mm Arctic (fluid bearings).. only 2mm but it doesn't help. The 'coolant tubes' are also pretty stiff... Then in the sandwich you have a tangle of power cables and tubes. Which resulted in blocked fans. Ended up removing the power cage and front mounting it. The riser screw are 100% rubbish. Used some others. Even with a tiny SF600 SFX i struggled. But I think front mounting the power and ditching the cage is 100% preferable with an AIO. Still had to use a hook to fish for the cables/wires and pull'm away from the fans. Plenty of room in my cage, just not in the right places ;-) But then again, it never is.

Reactions: rfarmer

keepITcool

Efficiency Noob
Jun 2, 2023
Some notes that I ran into when assembling in the system. I have an EVGA 3080 FTW3 (137mm height) deshrouded and an SF750.

1. The stock corsair cables are too thick for this case. The side panel doesn't close and you need proper unsleeved/silicone cables or some trimmed down microfit connectors.

2. Using the 180 PCI-E adapters involves removing the fan duct and the extra angled barrier on the side fan bracket to fit.

3. You can't fit any aftermarket M.2 heatsinks on the rear M.2 ssd. There's no clearance for fitment.
100% agree.

I got an SFX 600 with probably the same cables. Would have been no prob with aricooling, but I have a Lumen s28 AIO. Rad fits perfect but tubes are pretty stiff. Mounted Arctic fans which added 2mm to depth.. Then comes the sandwich mounting.. Horror! Power cables and/or fan cables blocking or hitting the fans.

I ended up removing the power cage and front mounting the SF600. Supplied riser screws total rubbish, used some others. Cables were still rattling/blocking the AIO fans. Using a small plastic hook I managed to 'arrange' the cables/wires away from the fans. Silence at last. Watched F1 qualifying.. now need to finish up.

keepITcool

Efficiency Noob
Jun 2, 2023
Excellent! I have acquired the 7900X, the ASRock B650, RAM, a couple of NVMe drives, and the build will start soon!
Soon? I couldn't wait. Just couldn't. Last part-> Buiild! Pull an all nighter if needed but build the damned thing. Boot. Benchmark.. notice it cooks, undervolt, try again!

Tesserae

Chassis Packer
Apr 4, 2023
Would love to see if any big amd GPUs can fit, something like 7900xt nitro.
Looks like it should fit!
7900XT Nitro: 3.5 slot, ATX
Dimension: 320(L)X 135.75(W)X 71.6 (H)mm

Any other recommendations of what people would like the rest of the build to be?

Reactions: Oggie