DAN C4-SFX

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Interesting, I will have to look at my M1 and see how it would work. I do have the slim Noctua fan on the side blowing down onto it, so there is that. I assume the original C14 was shorter to allow for the 25mm fan to fit above it?
Yes the original was 105mm and people would pair that with the Arctic Accelero Xtreme which would sit directly on 2x120mm bottom mounted fans.

Reactions: Albatross1486

Albatross1486

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2023
Yes the original was 105mm and people would pair that with the Arctic Accelero Xtreme which would sit directly on 2x120mm bottom mounted fans.

I did consider that, but I wanted it to be simple so I have two 120mm slim fans on the bottom with a bit of a gap until the 6700XT. Works well with the C14S on a 5600X.

Reactions: rfarmer

StressedOutCat

Cable Smoosher
Jun 16, 2016
Heatpipe bend facing back of the case. Just install 2x 140mm on the AIO bracket. They will directly sit on the C14S.
quick question, does the C14S cover/overhang the ram modules? only asking if it does then one has to keep ram module height into consideration if you wanna mount a bottom fan on the C14S.

and could you possibly mount the C14S facing the other way so you could install taller ram modules?

D90

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2017
quick question, does the C14S cover/overhang the ram modules? only asking if it does then one has to keep ram module height into consideration if you wanna mount a bottom fan on the C14S.

and could you possibly mount the C14S facing the other way so you could install taller ram modules?
I have a bottom mounted fan (and top) on my C14S in a heavily modded Meshlicious on a Gigabyte Z390 motherboard and Corsair VLP memory and it fits fine. Admittedly I have an older chipset but it fits. I think Noctua may have ram compatability charts on their website with motherboards.

StressedOutCat

Cable Smoosher
Jun 16, 2016
I have a bottom mounted fan (and top) on my C14S in a heavily modded Meshlicious on a Gigabyte Z390 motherboard and Corsair VLP memory and it fits fine. Admittedly I have an older chipset but it fits. I think Noctua may have ram compatability charts on their website with motherboards.
I will just order lower profile ram to be sure.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
For low profile DDR5 I would check out the G Skill Ripjaws SS Series which is only 33mm and appears to be some of the lowest profile DDR5 available.

Reactions: Dampfbox

rosioara

Efficiency Noob
Jun 2, 2023
looks very nice!
did you get custom PSU cables?
No, there are the stock cables from Asus Loki SFX-L 1000W. I definitely recommend it.

I tried first with the SF1000L from Corsair but the cables were impossible to be arranged and it was impossible to close the case due to the very stiff 12vhpwr cable.

keepITcool

Efficiency Noob
Jun 2, 2023
With a case that's this versatile and me lacking the experience of building these things several times a year/month or week... It's easy to get confused over what's left, right, up or down. Then add the sandwich AIO mounting and even more possibilities for getting the wiring 'not exactly ideal'. So this morning I opened her up again. Rotated the top fans to get the wires on the mobo side and now my OCD is nearly satisfied ;-)

Highly recommend the Arctic P14 fans. Both efficient and silent (fluid bearing and high static pressure), but 27mm thick. Noctuas will cost you double.

Albatross1486

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2023
Highly recommend the Arctic P14 fans. Both efficient and silent (fluid bearing and high static pressure), but 27mm thick. Noctuas will cost you double.
I have 2 140mm slims intaking on the top, and one 140mm regular exhausting on the side. They have been great, definitely agree with using Arctic. Well worth the savings over Noctua. I also have a Silver Soul 135 that cost a bit over a third of the D12L. Paying $90+ for the Noctua wasn't worth it, I got a really fast 1TB NVMe drive for just over the difference!

Last edited:

VictorCallejas

What's an ITX?
New User
Jun 7, 2023
Hi guys,

I see that the INNO3D RTX 4090 iChill Frostbite is not supported because of the dimensions I guess, but the dimensions add up, is this becuase of the watercool in/out holes block of the gpu does not fit the 166mm case width?

I am thinking of having Ryzen 9 7900X3D + INNO3D RTX 4090 iChill Frostbite, with a watercooled loop for both of them with a 280 radiator.

INNO3D RTX 4090 iChill Frostbite dimmensions are: 200mm (l) x 159mm (h) x 37mm (w)
GPU CASE Constrains:
- 3.5 Slot up to 336 mm length vs 200mm (l) OK
- Case 166mm (w) vs 159mm (h) ?

Thanks!

Senaxx

Caliper Novice
Aug 24, 2017
Now that I have used the case for over a week, I must say I'm very happy with the case. The only thing that annoys me is the fan of the Cooler Master V850 SFX Gold. The system itself is really silent but that PSU fan is just way too loud. So, I'm planning replacing the fan with a noctua one. Someone else already did on this forum: Cooler Master V850 SFX PSU Fan Swap | SFF.Network (smallformfactor.net)

And I'm going to add a 2nd fan to the D12L (intake) and see if it makes a noticeable difference.

Krulen

Efficiency Noob
May 23, 2023
Now that I have used the case for over a week, I must say I'm very happy with the case. The only thing that annoys me is the fan of the Cooler Master V850 SFX Gold. The system itself is really silent but that PSU fan is just way too loud. So, I'm planning replacing the fan with a noctua one. Someone else already did on this forum: Cooler Master V850 SFX PSU Fan Swap | SFF.Network (smallformfactor.net)

And I'm going to add a 2nd fan to the D12L (intake) and see if it makes a noticeable difference.
I have 2 fan on my D12L, be careful you might have to flip the radiator to have enough place. Plus if your ram is taller than 34 mm you will have trouble closing the side panel. However with this second fan the system is silent ! ( reduced fan speed by 15 % at each level and i have the same performance).

rosioara

Efficiency Noob
Jun 2, 2023
@rosioara How are the temps and noises?
The CPU (i7 13700k) in 10 minutes Cinebench R23 goes up to 95-97 degrees, very rarely throttling kicks in. I suspect the Asus MB Z790-I applies by default some undervolting via the SVID behavior option in BIOS (245W consumption vs. 275 Intel defaults). The AIO is set on exhaust as per the recommendations in the manual. I never tried intake, what is your experience?

The GPU sits at around 70, after stress testing with 3DMark Time Spy Extreme, around 450W power consumption, no overclocking.

Noise levels are excellent in my view - only with maximum load I can hear the AIO fans at 1600 RPM.

My previous case was NR200P Max, I replaced the stock AIO fans with Noctua ones. The temperatures were pretty similar but I needed there to change to intake top and bottom exhaust with other two pretty noisy Noctua 120mm fans.

Albatross1486

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2023
Speaking of temps and noise, for those of you running modern Ryzen CPUs, I highly recommend checking out Optimum Tech's video on tuning it to lower power and heat output with very little performance loss.

I messed around with it this morning and found I could drop power by around 50%, heat by 30 degrees C, and I'm still getting around 90% of the stock Cinebench score on my 7900X. However, my fans barely spin up and I haven't broken 66C, which is so much more pleasant.

FredL

Cable Smoosher
Jan 20, 2023
Very happy with the case after a few days of use.

7900x3D with D12L & Noctua NF-A14 side exhaust. Single Arctic P14 on top intake onto Inno3D 4070 TI. My 2nd build after my Dan A4 (the cabling is a bit of a mess). Choice of Asus X670E-I was a mistake due to the daughter board (see my earlier post), but now it's installed it's running very quietly with no coil whine.

Firing up Cinebench and Heaven 4.0 (ultra settings) simultaneously puts the max CPU temp at 88.5 & the GPU max at 62, running stock. The power meter at the socket reads ~380W. I'll try @Albatross1486's suggestion and follow Optimum's tuning suggestions. Nice and steady whoosh sound while under load.