DAN C4-SFX

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
Some notes that I ran into when assembling in the system. I have an EVGA 3080 FTW3 (137mm height) deshrouded and an SF750.

1. The stock corsair cables are too thick for this case. The side panel doesn't close and you need proper unsleeved/silicone cables or some trimmed down microfit connectors.

2. Using the 180 PCI-E adapters involves removing the fan duct and the extra angled barrier on the side fan bracket to fit.

3. You can't fit any aftermarket M.2 heatsinks on the rear M.2 ssd. There's no clearance for fitment.

Damn, I have the 3080 Ti FTW 3 and all of these are hits to what I was planning to do with the case...

It doesn't help that some other options are available now - maybe I shouldn't keep my order if this is all going to be an issue.

That said, for #3: considering the thickness available is 5mm for the rear m.2, this heatsink should work: https://a.co/d/0RPf6P6

Last edited:

keepITcool

Efficiency Noob
Jun 2, 2023
Damn, I have the 3080 Ti FTW 3 and all of these are hits to what I was planning to do with the case...

It doesn't help that some other options are available now - maybe I shouldn't keep my order if this is all going to be an issue.

That said, for #3: considering the thickness available is 5mm for the rear m.2, this heatsink should work: https://a.co/d/0RPf6P6
Not so fast ;-) I have following working rock solid, under 75C and practically noiseless.
Asus B550i/5800x/3080 XC/Corsair SF600/Lumen S28/4x Arctic P14 pwm/pst.. plus 2x 4K LGs.

The 5800x is lightly undervolted using PBO2. Probably no need anyways, but I only have a 600W PSU...
I've front mounted the SF600, removed the powercage, kept the GPU support/vent.
I've replaced the Lumen's standard fans with the Arctic P14 (cheap, fluid bearing, lower power consumption), fans on inside, pull orientation. Topmounted the other P14s (push) . No deshroud on the RTX, but the fans simply never kick in (on Auto during stresstest)

Haven't gotten around to adding a 970evo in the 2nd M2... But it's the PCI3 and backup drive anyways so IMHO it'll do nicely without a heatsink.
Oh, btw, more confusion: a friend has a Louque Ghost S1. (240 AIO max). Nice quality.
HAGWE!

StressedOutCat

Cable Smoosher
Jun 16, 2016
Just wanted to people's input in regards on what they think would work better (or even fit) in the C4-SFX

Dual fan Noctua NH-D12L or Dual fan NH-C14S

Senaxx

Caliper Novice
Aug 24, 2017
I heard a lot about coil whine on the ASUS ROG B650E-I even BEFORE all the controversy, that thing is notorious for coil whine and how the mod on ASUS forum handled it.... the guy just said "It's your PSU's fault, it's expo, etc. , but I have a 400$ 1200W Titanium powersupply and don't have that issue :). Which is totally believable I mean who doesn't run a 400$ 1200W ATX power supply with a 300$ ITX Motherboard.

Maybe to chime in on this. I also have the same board but have no coil whine from the board, absolutely zero. Updated it to latest bios. The only coil whine that I have is my 4090FE on high framerates (200+). But normally I cap my frames to 141 (just under Gsync).

Senaxx

Caliper Novice
Aug 24, 2017
Just wanted to people's input in regards on what they think would work better (or even fit) in the C4-SFX

Dual fan Noctua NH-D12L or Dual fan NH-C14S

I see you have mounted the NH-D12L the other way that I have. The phat side on the intake side. And noticed you added a second fan?

Oggie

Average Stuffer
Apr 25, 2023
Maybe to chime in on this. I also have the same board but have no coil whine from the board, absolutely zero. Updated it to latest bios. The only coil whine that I have is my 4090FE on high framerates (200+). But normally I cap my frames to 141 (just under Gsync).
I tried my best to listen and can't hear any either. we might be lucky with our boards

StressedOutCat

Cable Smoosher
Jun 16, 2016
I see you have mounted the NH-D12L the other way that I have. The phat side on the intake side. And noticed you added a second fan?
oh that's not my picture.. my case C4-SFX is in its box waiting for the parts to arrive.. and choice I have to make about the cooler.

the picture is from reddit

one of the reasons I am even debating getting the NH-D12L as I am not sure about the ram stick clearance with the dual fan setup.
but perhaps someone who has an AM5 board and the cooler can correct me.

I just trying to understand why the NH-D12L would be the first choice when the NH-C14S would perhaps a better choice
as you could put one fan on low position, and top Fan you could mount into the case side frame.
( and possible you don't have the ram clearance problem like I mentioned above )

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
Not so fast ;-) I have following working rock solid, under 75C and practically noiseless.
Asus B550i/5800x/3080 XC/Corsair SF600/Lumen S28/4x Arctic P14 pwm/pst.. plus 2x 4K LGs.

The 5800x is lightly undervolted using PBO2. Probably no need anyways, but I only have a 600W PSU...
I've front mounted the SF600, removed the powercage, kept the GPU support/vent.
I've replaced the Lumen's standard fans with the Arctic P14 (cheap, fluid bearing, lower power consumption), fans on inside, pull orientation. Topmounted the other P14s (push) . No deshroud on the RTX, but the fans simply never kick in (on Auto during stresstest)

Haven't gotten around to adding a 970evo in the 2nd M2... But it's the PCI3 and backup drive anyways so IMHO it'll do nicely without a heatsink.
Oh, btw, more confusion: a friend has a Louque Ghost S1. (240 AIO max). Nice quality.
HAGWE!

Not sure what in your post made you exclaim 'not so fast'?

I was looking forward to using that fan bracket; and the renders for the case show a 3080 Ti FTW 3 being used; but turns out I won't be able to use that bracket to support this GPU at all.

Senaxx

Caliper Novice
Aug 24, 2017
oh that's not my picture.. my case C4-SFX is in its box waiting for the parts to arrive.. and choice I have to make about the cooler.

the picture is from reddit

one of the reasons I am even debating getting the NH-D12L as I am not sure about the ram stick clearance with the dual fan setup.
but perhaps someone who has an AM5 board and the cooler can correct me.

I just trying to understand why the NH-D12L would be the first choice when the NH-C14S would perhaps a better choice
as you could put one fan on low position, and top Fan you could mount into the case side frame.
( and possible you don't have the ram clearance problem like I mentioned above )

Maybe @dondan can explain which configuration works. I saw an earlier post which recommended the cooler the other way around (phat side on the left side instead of the right as on the picture).

But I might just switch to an AIO or full water cooling.

mTECHIE

Cable Smoosher
Feb 3, 2021
Interesting....may I ask what the manufacturing date on your ASUS B650E-I board? I've seem on Reddit some have 11-2022 batch with the coil whine.

Reactions: izumka

Senaxx

Caliper Novice
Aug 24, 2017
@dondan
Thanks for your answer. I saw the manual shows a D12L with dual fans. Stock the D12L only comes with 1 fan. Did you test if there is a noticeable difference with the 2nd fan added? I assume it's easier to pull in fresh air from the back with the 2nd fan added.

@mTECHIE
Mine has a manufacturing date from 2023-03

Albatross1486

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2023
You could do this with the M1 and the original NH-C14, it was part of what was called "big air" cooling and worked really well.
Interesting, I will have to look at my M1 and see how it would work. I do have the slim Noctua fan on the side blowing down onto it, so there is that. I assume the original C14 was shorter to allow for the 25mm fan to fit above it?

Reactions: rfarmer