DAN C4-SFX

Albatross1486

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2023
Seen that this morning, crazy. Regarding Asus board I was also concerned but to be fair it's really good board so far, updated to latest bios and SOC voltage doesn't go above 1.24 so they have fixed that. Also when you first install windows on first home screen it asks you if you want to install armour crate and I chose no. Not a beep about it since then.
I may go with Asus for this reason. I'm going to eco-mode my 7900x so it should be OK on that front, and avoid Armory Crate (and Windows for the most part, though I may need Ryzen Master on there to set eco) before I swap to Linux for daily driving. It's just...not a good look. If you can't even make HTTPS your standard, what else have you fucked up?

Reactions: Oggie

TheClash

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2017
A note for those, like myself, who were considering Gigabyte boards: https://www.wired.com/story/gigabyte-motherboard-firmware-backdoor/
Actual security link: https://eclypsium.com/blog/supply-chain-risk-from-gigabyte-app-center-backdoor/

To be honest, I don't know what I'm going to do. I don't have a lot of options in ITX; Asus is putting the sus into their name with the AMD burning up issue, and I am using AMD. Plus their Armory Crate software feels similar to the Gigabyte issue in terms of security holes. Asrock has a decent board but the use of USB 2.0 is frustrating (I mean, really, it's 2023 how do you justify putting 4 USB 2.0 ports on the back), MSI is...OK? Both MSI and Asrock feel too expensive for the features though? I'm still so torn.
Oh man... I just had my Gigabyte board delivered....

Looks like the recommendations are not overly onerous so will look to block those domains and switch that feature off. There is really no brand anymore that is without fault. The Asus boards here are just too expensive where I am and I agree with you that the MSI seems feature poor for the price.

Hopefully some update to the Gigabyte board will help with that security flaw...

FredL

Cable Smoosher
Jan 20, 2023
Just a heads up for anyone considering an Asus X670e ITX with 2.5" drives - the SATA ports are located on a daughter board "ROG FPS-II card", and the ports are horizontally located and point towards the PSU:

With a SATA cable plugged in I wasn't able to mount my SFX PSU in the default position, so I mounted it to the front of the case:

This prevented the cables from putting too much pressure on the daughter board:

Am going to look for a SATA cable with a connector point upwards. I mounted the drive next to the PSU using the two remaining screw holes and some electrical tape:

Perhaps the C4 V2 could allow drives to be mounted in this location. Anyway, a bit hacky but it all works. Is there a better way?

An SFX-L PSU's cables I think would put too much horizontal pressure on the daughter board. Not a great choice of MB on my part.

austinmrs

What's an ITX?
New User
Jun 1, 2023
Anyone who got the case paired with an Asus 4070ti TUF? Will 2 x Noctua slim fan fit on top of the GPU as intake?

keepITcool

Efficiency Noob
Jun 2, 2023
ETA for the case: TODAY! Saying goodbye to my Zaber Sentry 2.0. I'll transplant its innards (B550i, 5800X, RTX 3080 & SF600) and add a Fractal Lumen S28 AIO and 4 Arctic P14 fans (no use for the Lumen's A14s). My noctua L9a always struggled with the 5800x in the tiny Zaber, which allows no fans at all. Now very much looking fwd to headroom from the AIO.

Lumen arrived Wednesday. I then realized it requires the original AM4 brackets. Oops! Went awol after putting on the Noctua. Replacements due this evening. Can't wait to start building.

Albatross1486

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2023
Any of y'all running Intel CPUs? My quest for an AMD is getting worse all the time, combo deal prices going up, mobo availability is next to nothing. I wanted to be able to utilize the eco mode for better cooling, while still maintaining a high core count and the ability to un-eco it later if needed.
From what I've seen, Intel just doesn't do the lower TDP chips, and they can still spike to high watts. But at least there's a good amount of choice of mobos, even if I have to buy RAM.

keepITcool

Efficiency Noob
Jun 2, 2023
ETA for the case: TODAY! Saying goodbye to my Zaber Sentry 2.0. I'll transplant its innards (B550i, 5800X, RTX 3080 & SF600) and add a Fractal Lumen S28 AIO and 4 Arctic P14 fans (no use for the Lumen's A14s). My noctua L9a always struggled with the 5800x in the tiny Zaber, which allows no fans at all. Now very much looking fwd to headroom from the AIO.

Lumen arrived Wednesday. I then realized it requires the original AM4 brackets. Oops! Went awol after putting on the Noctua. Replacements due this evening. Can't wait to start building.
Case received.. The Zaber is a little higher quality. After two years there's not a scratch on in. Torx screws add a bit of class. The C4 is v e r y s p a c i o u s and an easy build. All components are in. I saw some comments about radiators that were a few mm wide. The Lumen S28 is exactly 140mm and fits the bracket perfectly. I'll take Linus's advice and start with the AIO fans pulling air in. Now I just need to twiddle my thumbs until the bracket and fans get here. ;-)

Reactions: Albatross1486

Senaxx

Caliper Novice
Aug 24, 2017
Completed the build yesterday evening and works great. CPU is still a bit to hot to my liking (even with PBO and curve optimizer tuning). So I might switch to an AIO or to full custom water-cooling. All in all the case is very easy to build in, the 4090 FE fits perfectly in his compartment at the top. The MODDIY cable is a bit to long from my previous build but it fits, and i can close the side.

Vaettir

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 3, 2022
Some notes that I ran into when assembling in the system. I have an EVGA 3080 FTW3 (137mm height) deshrouded and an SF750.

1. The stock corsair cables are too thick for this case. The side panel doesn't close and you need proper unsleeved/silicone cables or some trimmed down microfit connectors.

2. Using the 180 PCI-E adapters involves removing the fan duct and the extra angled barrier on the side fan bracket to fit.

3. You can't fit any aftermarket M.2 heatsinks on the rear M.2 ssd. There's no clearance for fitment.

rosioara

Efficiency Noob
Jun 2, 2023
Hi, I just completed my build:
Intel i7 13700k with Thermalright contact frame
Asus Z790-I 64GB DDR5
Gainward GeForce RTX 4090 Phantom GS (no additional fans on top)
Be Quiet Silent Loop 2 280mm
Asus Loki SFX-L 1000W
Samsung 990 Pro 2TB

The temps are fine, around 92-93 degrees max. and no throttling after 10 minutes with Cinebench R23. Also, everything is overall surprisingly quiet. GPU temps a bit below 70 degrees. So far, I am happy.