DAN C4-SFX - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lekic

Cable Smoosher
Dec 2, 2018
Chipping in my 2c.

Original design was the most aesthetically pleasing by far. I understand there may be build issues, so making changes to fix that is fine. Even making changes to accomodate for slightly bigger parts is cool, but not at the cost of excessive increases in size.

The Dan-A4 case was groundbreaking because of what it fits in such a small form factor (I have one myself running an i9-9900k and 1080 Ti FTW3). The C4 was on track to do this again in a slightly larger form factor. Fast forward and we see a case that is compromising on all counts in what seems an attempt to accomodate 90% of the consumer hardware market.

My personal opinion on this, Dan's cases are most certainly enthusiast cases. People who buy them are enthusiasts (well, you'd assume so considering the price). At least for me, when I built in the A4 I knew I was going to buy premium parts to build into a premium case (NVMe drive, 92mm AIO, etc.).

Accomodating for high-end CPU coolers? Yeah cool, although I would push for AIO compatibility. Accomodating for top-tier GPUs? Also cool, but why 3-slot? I understand that the newest iteration fits 3-slot by virtue of design (no size increase), which is awesome, and in the same way that the A4 fit the monster FTW3, this is damn impressive. However, talk of having compatibility for traditional GPU mounting (onto the board) as well as riser vertical mounting seems overkill for me. The point of SFF is to be dense. To use every. last. inch.

Dan, you are brilliant at case design. I am sure you will build a standout case yet again. If you truly want to be all-accomodating, go for it. It's your case. My concern as a customer is I see your cases as my go-to "this is literally the smallest possible size for this high-end configuration". I hope the C4 lives up to this and becomes the ~10L powerhouse it deserves to be.

As for the talk of having compatibility in every which way, there are cases already out there for you. NCASE have a solid case with decent compatibility. You want the works? Cerberus-X supports e-ATX with 8x expansion slots in a 23.4L enclosure. Heck, even NZXT make a SFF-ish case in the H200i. Sure, it's ~20L but can damn well fit your assortment of HDDs and plenty of RGB. ;)

I'll reserve my judgement until I see some detailed renders of the new case concept. This post was more about what I was expecting from this case and this end of SFF in general. I'm sure everyone has different opinions.

Dan, create the case you want to create. If you are confident in a design then I'm sure it will work. You can't please everyone, so be sure to do right by what you want while also accomodating as much as possible along the way. In my bias-not-bias opinion, if you do meet the best design thus far (original), while fixing any technical difficulties, I'll be the first to pre-order. :)

papsicleboy

Caliper Novice
Jun 19, 2018
And you should stick with the A4 if you want as tiny as possible SFF and can't accept that Dan is exploring different sizes.

Ah yes because the a4 can cool a 9900k with ease! You missed the point of their comment, obviously they are ok with the increased size of A4 vs C4 or else they wouldn't be interested in the first place, it's that exploring different sizes as you say actually seems to go against the "mission statement" of this case, being an A4 with AIO suppport. But again this is only my interpretation on said "mission statement" because it is now unclear due to all of the design iterations.

What are the design objectives, I think these need to made clear?

• Is good cooling an objective - if yes, how? What are the options or option combinations?
  • What is the max recommended hardware (in terms of TDP versus noise)?
  • Is a small size an objective? If yes, what are the boundaries?
  • Is aesthetic an objective?

@dondan This guy really hit the nail on the head, I think answering these questions would end a lot of the arguments here and direct the discussion in an actual direction based on what you, the case designer, really want and are willing to do with this case. Looking forward to the renders!

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@papsicleboy & @cour: To give you the answer on cour's questions:

• Is good cooling an objective - if yes, how? What are the options or option combinations?
The flex design offers many options for good cooling:
CPU:
- For Classic Layout: 240 AIO support or big heatsinks like Noctua C14S
- For Sandwich Layout: 240 AIO or small heatsinks like Noctua L12

GPU:
- For Classic Layout: Up to 3 Slot GPU
- For Sandwich Layout: Up to 2.5-2,75 Slot GPU
  • What is the max recommended hardware (in terms of TDP versus noise)?
The case will have no limits:
- CPU: Socket 1151 with 9900k or Socket 2066 with 9980XE
- GPU: Up to Titan RTX

I think on heavy unrealistic load like Prime95 + Futuremark you will hear the system but it will be not scream like a jet engine. On gaming it will be like a light swoosh.
  • Is a small size an objective? If yes, what are the boundaries?
The boundaries will be between 10 - 11L. Currently I lean to 10L.
  • Is aesthetic an objective?
Yes the case will be looking very minimalistic/elegant from the outside. I lean to the 141mm width to keep it as slim as possible. Also the inner parts will be well designed, so the case will be very stiff, easy to handle (enough space for install parts and wire), monkey proofed and full of features for mounting stuff.

If I should describe it in one sentence: Imagine the M1 and A4 making a baby.

Last edited:

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015

Thank you for that Dan, it made my morning! I nearly choked on my tea reading that and laughing so much XD
It made me turn to my M1 on the desk and smile, no Dan A4 cases near to me that it could visit...;)

Reactions: Talyrius

BillT

Average Stuffer
Jan 26, 2019
I understand that some people are upset that the original design isn't being considered. But from what Dan said, the classic layout seems to be just way more space efficient. And SFF is all about space efficiency isn't it?

(141 (W) x 230 x (H) x 310 (L) = 10L
Classis: GPU = 3 Slot, AIO = 240x30 + 25mm fan, 2x 2.5" drives
Sandwich: GPU = 2.5 Slot, AIO = 240x30 + 15mm fan, 2x 2.5" drives

What does the Sandwich layout bring when the Classic can offer 3 slot and 240x30 + 25 AIO, C14s compatibility at 10L? Just uniqueness?

Sure there was a 9.85L version but come on it's 0.15L smaller and people who have actually built in it said it's 2 slot only and very difficult to work with at the same time. It is slimmer though. About the only real advantage.

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018

Considering I love my M1, and have always wanted an A4, but chose the M1 for better cooling compatibility... this makes my day! I can't wait to see these renderings!

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
Showcasing your GPU
Accomodate taller cards
And uniqueness is not a small factor

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
Showcasing your GPU
Flip the case, classic layout, glass on top.

Accomodate taller cards
But not both tall and wide cards?

And uniqueness is not a small factor
Agree, but this 'uniqueness' only exists until you select an orientation. By contrast the A4 remains unique after being built.

It's funny, I just read the first 10 pages of the NCase M1 design thread on HardForum. Fascinating to see its evolution between Sept. and Nov. of 2012. Many of the issues we're discussing here were also considered years ago. Everything old is new again.

FWIW, I think Concept 3 is the path-not-taken layout to consider. Ditch the multiple 3.5" drives and slot the PSU into that space. GPU on top, cooler over the motherboard, but tighter dimensions and less volume overall. All with the clean aesthetics and design @dondan is great at.

Last edited:

HTerra10

Cable Smoosher
Dec 4, 2018
i got the rtx 2060 strix and would rather the 2.75slot vetical gpu mount

(149 (W) x 237,5 x (H) x 310 (L) = 11L
Classis: GPU = 3 Slot, AIO = 240x30 + 25mm fan, 2x 2.5" drives
Sandwich: GPU = 2.75 Slot, AIO = 240x27 + 25mm fan, 2x 2.5" drives

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
The strix 2060 is a 2.5 Slot card.

~39mm = 2 Slot
~49mm = 2.5 Slot
~54mm = 2.75 Slot
~58,5mm = 3 Slot

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@Bonusround & @BillT:
What does the Sandwich layout bring when the Classic can offer 3 slot and 240x30 + 25 AIO, C14s compatibility at 10L? Just uniqueness?

Flexibility. This layout has no avdantage over the classic layout expect of supporting higher GPUs and to display them through a window kit.

Reactions: Talyrius

edditeyib

Efficiency Noob
Mar 1, 2019

Introduction

DAN Cases is back and this is our next tribute to the SFF community.

I am proud to introduce you the C4-SFX. The name comes from the German envelope norm for A4 papers and the possibility to mount a SFX power supply inside. With this new product I like to address three disadvantages of the A4-SFX – limited cooling, limited front I/O ports, long production time and price tag. With the C4-SFX I like to expanse my product portfolio so it will be available next to the A4-SFX.

The result is a 9.85L SFF gaming case with the possibility to use with high-end standardized components while keep them cool and quiet.

How it works

The new design used a sandwich based hardware layout and offers space for full-size graphics cards, mITX motherboard and SFX power supply. Instead of mounting a flexible riser cable the new design comes with a hard riser. Therefore the graphics card will be above the motherboard.

To provide enough air for the CPU heatsink the case has two mount points for 120mm fan in the “bottom” area. In this area it is possible to mount a 240mm AIO. The fans sucking air from the inside and push hot airt out on the bottom side. Fresh air comes in through the topside. This creates a continuous airflow in the inside between the components.

The case allows for easy mounting of either SFX or SFX-L power supplies. The PSU is located in the front of the chassis. Depending on the size of the PSU, up to two 2.5” HDDs or SSDs can be mounted in the drive bay. This drive bay could potentially be mounted with rubber spacers to reduce vibration. A third drive can be mounted behind the front cover.

To increase the count of accessible front I/O ports, it features USB3.0 Type-C, USB3.0-Type-A, Line-Out and Microphone jacks.

Just Flip it

It is possible to flip the case 180°. Rotate the front, mount the case feets on the opposit side and flip the side cover. Now the fan area is on the top side. The allows for switching the front I/O from the right to left side.

Specification

Case Dimensions (H x W x D): 239,8 x 127,3 x 322,8mm, 9.85L
Overall Dimensions: 250 x 127,3 x 322,8mm (including case feets)
Weight: ??? Kg

Graphic cards support: Dual-Slot and 2.5 Slot GPU up to 295mm length
Motherboard support: Mini-ITX
Power Supply support: SFX, SFX-L
CPU Heatsink support: Up to 62mm height
Water cooling support: 240mm AIO
· radiator thickness 38mm with 2x 16mm thick fans
· radiator thickness 30mm with 2x 25mm thick fans
· radiator thickness 27mm with 2x 25m thick fans
· radiator thickness 22mm with 2x 25mm thick fans

Drives: 3 x 2.5" HDD/SSD

Front ports: 1 x USB 3.0 Type-A & 1x Type-C (internal 20pin plug), 1x Microphone, 1x Line-Out
Power button: Premium-grade button

Material: 1.5mm aluminum (outer parts), 1.5mm aluminum (inner parts)
Side panels: Easily clipp able with Lian Li Push Pin technology
Colors: Anodized sand blasted black or silver exterior, matte black painted interior

Risercard: Includes PCIe 16x hard riser

Price tag: 160-180€

Gallery

FAQ

Coming soon

Thank you for reading and your support. Please let me know what you are think!

MOD EDIT: Removed clickbait title
love it, @dondan when is it going to be available. is there is a preorder option ?

Last edited:

vpri

Trash Compacter
Sep 9, 2018
@dondan, are you leaning towards any style lately for the final build (classic vs sandwich)? I'm also curious if the AIO can be mounted at the top in exhaust configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.