DAN C4-SFX - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToutNoir

Caliper Novice
Mar 2, 2018
Side I/Os is a big plus to me.
@dondan : I don't fully agree about the need of 2x 2.5". SSDs are so cheap today that we can easily afford 1Go SSD which is enough.

BillT

Average Stuffer
Jan 26, 2019
@dondan
Is side IO only possible on 11L or 10L as well?
The IO aspect should also be included in the upcoming poll. Side vs Top vs No IO. Seems like no one likes front IO at all. It definitely ruins the aesthetics completely.

Reactions: edditeyib

THE_KRAAKEN

Minimal Tinkerer
Feb 25, 2019
I care more about 2 x 2.5 drive slot more than io position. Expandability and flexibility is more important than subjective atheistic imo. Also as dan said, it will be a point for reviewer to pick on if it being larger but support less drive than the A4.

edditeyib

Efficiency Noob
Mar 1, 2019
I do not understand why you dig out the side i/o question?
We beleive it will look way better with the side I/O
This is one point of view.
I also use only M.2 drives, but there are many customers that use more than one 2.5" drive because they are very well priced.
Furthermore many tech review will say: "Negative: This case is bigger as the A4 and only supports 1 x 2.5" drive"
Can we see how it looks like at this moment ?

Last edited:

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
I do not understand why you dig out the side i/o question?

Just checked this thread again this morning and thought I had woken up 6 months in the past. I quickly logged onto Binance to sell my Bitcoins... XD

For the side i/o question it is possible on the flexible design BUT....you will lose one 2.5" drive mounting space. So with side i/o you only can install one 2.5" drive instead of two.

Seeing as the Flexible design wasn't a thing back then, I was wondering if the Side I/O could be implemented as an option which would fit into the second 2.5" drive mount. Those who wanted to mount a second 2.5" drive could then do so by removing the Side I/O. A magnetic trim plate could cover the side where the holes for the I/O would be. This would also give people who prefer a cleaner look without visible I/O that option too.

Reactions: Woxys and advblue

FAQBytes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2017
Would it be possible to offer the two options using different bezels or whatever, with the non-default maybe costing extra?

TheMoeBlob

Chassis Packer
Jan 13, 2019
Guys I think for a business perspective it makes sense to leave as many options open as possible. That's why Dan wants to go for the classic layout., no point in negating the benefits of the classic layout by just cutting out extra features

Reactions: Talyrius

Metroversal

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2017
Support for at least two 2.5" Drives is kinda given at a volume of 10+ liters.

With that said, considering a case width of 140mm and the dimensions of an SSD (69.5mm x 100.2mm x 9.5mm), two 2.5" drives should theoretically be able to fit even with I/O on the side. Correct me if I'm wrong @dondan (schematics would be appreciated).

Reactions: Bonusround

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
2.5" drives are large but thin, so abandoning IO for this reason alone seems poor rationale. Surely there are other possible mount points in 10-11L of volume. Perhaps, instead of a full drive bracket, raw rubber grommets providing an interface between drives and case ventilation slots/holes would offer greater flexibility.

Last edited:

theexplainer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 30, 2018
For the side i/o question it is possible on the flexible design BUT....you will lose one 2.5" drive mounting space. So with side i/o you only can install one 2.5" drive instead of two.
well, in that case, screw the side I/O, I definitely need those two 2.5'' drives (using 2 2.5inch HDDs, 1 sata SSD and 2 m.2 SSDs in the A4 atm)

Side I/Os is a big plus to me.
@dondan : I don't fully agree about the need of 2x 2.5". SSDs are so cheap today that we can easily afford 1Go SSD which is enough.
might be enough for you, I am already running out of SSD storage having 1.75Tb of it.

schn1tt3r

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 24, 2018
I don’t think its a good idea just having one 2.5 ssd drive mount. If I pay 250€ I would want to have my 2 ssd in it!!!

If you want to fit 2.5 3.5 ZIP drive and tape backup, then don't buy an SFF.

M.2 drives are just as cheap as regular 2.5 SSD except for the NVME ones. If we apply that "I have two 2.5 SSD", then cases would still come with slots for CD and DVD ROM drives. And, btw, you can always use 3M double sided tape if you want to have more drives in there.

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
I do agree, at 10-11L, support for only one 2.5 drive is pretty bad. I'm not happy on losing side io, but please do not choose to go with the front io, i'm okay with anything else besides the front io.

HTerra10

Cable Smoosher
Dec 4, 2018
say if u use 120mm aio on one side, can you fit an addition piece of storage on the remaining space?

Tephnos

Average Stuffer
Jul 5, 2017
Whilst my thoughts on the flex layout are pretty well known at this point, I would personally consider the return of the much nicer looking side I/O as a bonus, at the very least.

One SSD mount is not a problem, people are overblowing it. We have had a single SSD mount in the front of the NCASE for years and the solution was to stick the SSDs on top of one another using your old friend double-sided tape. I see no reason why you couldn't do that here as well. The space is certainly there for it, given how much wider the case has gotten.

Surely we can agree that some 'soft mods' are still applicable to the SFF community, or have we really gone so mainstream that everything must be done for us? Hell, let's bundle the tape with the case as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.