DAN A4-SFX v4.1

tenrose

Caliper Novice
Jun 27, 2018
Hi everyone,

I just recieved my A4 v3 and I'm finalizing the parts to put in.
For the PSU, I preordered a Corsair SFX 450 Platinum (I'm looking for a quiet build under load), but no one is sure when is going to be available. Today I stumbled upon the Silverstone NJ450-SXL (fanless), which paired with a 92 mm Noctua fan in place of the SSD bracket seemed a promising alternative. Problem is I couldn't find any in depth review or comment about the temps of the NJ450 in a small case (surprisingly, as I thought other sff builders would love a fanless psu).

Does anyone have an idea if the NJ450 + fan is a workable (with an estimated 350 W peak power draw)?
I'm mostly worried about the plastic shield of the DAN A4 which would be essentially in contact with the PSU.

i believe that PSU is slightly wider than the case bracket will allow due to the addition of heatsink fins. i could be wrong though, make sure you double check the actual width of the PSU, and not the distance between mounting holes.

tenrose

Caliper Novice
Jun 27, 2018
Here you can see the psu in the dan a4 case: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/evolv-shift-shrinked-dan-a4-rules.8450/
But i think you cant fit the fan under the psu. Maybe with custom cables :) of you had an gpu with backshield you dont need use the plastic plate

hey, that's pretty sweet actually. i think you could definitely fit a 15mm noctua fan under the psu in this example, the PSU cables would be a bit of a nuisance. is there anywhere to buy rightangled PSU cables?

NuclearDust

Case Bender
Aug 6, 2018
Here you can see the psu in the dan a4 case: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/evolv-shift-shrinked-dan-a4-rules.8450/
But i think you cant fit the fan under the psu. Maybe with custom cables :) of you had an gpu with backshield you dont need use the plastic plate

Sweet thanks. Sadly my GPU has no backplate, but probably I'm worrying to much about heat, after all the PSU has a 90% or higher efficiency at ~350 W so I'm looking at less than 40 W of heat in the worst case scenario.

i think you could definitely fit a 15mm noctua fan under the psu in this example, the PSU cables would be a bit of a nuisance. is there anywhere to buy rightangled PSU cables?

It seems a tight fit but worth trying. Thanks.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Here is a very awesome review of the A4-SFX. I love the 4K picture quality and the colors of this video on my OLED. Also the detailed knowledge about the product is very good. Thank you @optimumtech for this great review, you did your homework.

Btw: I need a Kickstarter video for the C4-SFX can you help out? :)

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
There are some milimeters between GPU Hdplex. So no it will not strain the case

Reactions: cj360

cj360

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2017
Sweet, now to figure out how to make a plate for the DC jack. The one from hdplex is just off from aligning with the existing psu cord exit.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Sorry i don't understand your last sentence. The included plate will fit.

cj360

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2017
Oh is there one with the case designed for the dc barrel connector? I was referring the small one in the middle here as the piece I was trying to use.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Yes this small one will fit at the same place where the ac power cutout is. You have to atrach it from the outside.

Reactions: cj360

cj360

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2017
D'oh. For some reason I thought it went inside. That doesn't make much sense in hindsight.

Rice_chaser

Efficiency Noob
Aug 9, 2018
Hello all,
I am really looking forward to get a Dan case A4 for my first ever PC build.
I have two questions that would like to ask before I place my order for all PC parts.
1. Has anyone brought the filled case on a plane with hand carry?
2. Is it possible to fit 3 storage in there? If possible, a picture that show the position of all storage piece and the cable management that would be very helpful.

TGAIO

Trash Compacter
Jul 19, 2018
Hello all,
I am really looking forward to get a Dan case A4 for my first ever PC build.
I have two questions that would like to ask before I place my order for all PC parts.
1. Has anyone brought the filled case on a plane with hand carry?
2. Is it possible to fit 3 storage in there? If possible, a picture that show the position of all storage piece and the cable management that would be very helpful.

3 2.5 Storages have place, but one is a bit of a tight fit when you have stiff cables or an SFX-L Powersupply. M.2 can be used too.

TeamKHK

Minimal Tinkerer
Aug 3, 2018
Hi all,

Received my DAN A4 V3 yesterday & performed the transition of all the parts from my old case into the A4 today. Overall, very happy with how it went and also how it now looks as well as being surprised at how well it seems to handle the temps! In my old SG13B case the original Mini ITX build consisted of the Cryorig C7 for cooling but it didn't perform all that well at peak temps (40c idle / 83c at full load).

Originally I was going to pair up the A4 with a newly purchased Asetek 545LC AIO w/ the slim Noctua 92mm fan but sadly this did not go to plan as the Asetek AIO does not come with any mounting screws for the fan to the radiator and these seem to be difficult to come by unless I specifically order the correct ones online and at this time I do not want to wait any longer for more parts, I also had a Corsair H60 AIO from the SG13B case which I toyed with the idea of using instead but sadly it's just too big in width to fit along the AIO bracket combined with my Corsair SFX PSU (not enough clearance by only 2-3mm). As a result of this, I basically went down the route with going back to the Cryorig C7 but thankfully it seems to have paid off so far (30c idle / 62c at full load). The Cryorig C7 probably didn't perform as well as it could in my old Silverstone case due to the lack of airflow anyway.

Just a couple of concerns I would like to touch up on with the case that I have picked up,

Firstly - the installation of the motherboard itself on the four screw risers was a little tricky due to the routing of the PCI-E extension cable, I have a Gigabyte B360-N WiFi board which has the M.2 SSD slot at the back and I'm 99.9% sure that it now comes into contact with the extension cable once mounted as I can feel the pressure once screwing the motherboard into place - is this OK or will it cause an electrical hazard at any point? Thankfully the temps of the SSD are fine at this stage which was also a concern for me (45c idle / 57c when say gaming)

Secondly - it seems the PCI-E extender cable itself is a little bit too long, and once everything was mounted together in my case I still had a good inch or so of the extender cable that I literally had to push down on the top & bend in order to get the top of the case back on - if anything it does also make putting the top of the case on a bit difficult due to the cabling poking from the top . Does the cable length sound normal / does this appear to be somewhat standard production on this V3 version with the current revision of the PCI-E cable?

Thanks - Liam.