DAN A4-SFX v4.1

Cane

Cable Smoosher
Feb 25, 2018
I am currently in search of the window kit in silver. So if anyone is willing to give it away for 120€ and is located in Germany, contact me.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Wow, thats great news. Altough I am kind of annoyed now because I just could have waited for another generation instead of delidding ^^ Do you know If theres any difference between soldered chips and liquid metal?
Especially is it only the 9900k? Or is the whole Gen going to be soldered?

Looks like just the 9900k and the 9700k will be soldered.

Reactions: Cane

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
It's almost certainly a physical requirement for the power draw of these chips, so don't break your hands thanking Intel.

With the cooling problems of the 8700k I am sure this is the case. As hard as the 8700k was to cool imagine what the 8core would run if they continued to use TIM.

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
Wow, thats great news. Altough I am kind of annoyed now because I just could have waited for another generation instead of delidding ^^ Do you know If theres any difference between soldered chips and liquid metal?
Especially is it only the 9900k? Or is the whole Gen going to be soldered?

der8auer did a video on soldering an intel cpu recently: If I remember right, the soldered cpu performed worse than the liquid metal because of the increased thickness. You can get the heatspreader closer to the die with liquid metal, and that's actually what most of the temp gains are from.

Cane

Cable Smoosher
Feb 25, 2018
der8auer did a video on soldering an intel cpu recently: If I remember right, the soldered cpu performed worse than the liquid metal because of the increased thickness. You can get the heatspreader closer to the die with liquid metal, and that's actually what most of the temp gains are from.
Yeah, I watched that video too. I dont know if he mentioned it in the english version but he said that the professional soldering done by the manufactures will be far better than his approach.
I really think soldering is the better option beneath liquid metal. But lets dont discuss this here. I think we will know very soon as there are coming many videos to this topic.

But very interesting video though.

SpringerTheNerd

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 7, 2017
I'll be buying one of this for a friend of mine but I have a consern or two.

First off is heat. I'll be rinninr a i7 4790k that's been delided and I'm not sure if anything on theist of coolers that fit will do a great job at keeping it cool.

And the solution to that would be to just rock the 92mm AIO (full size GPU so can't fit a 120mm) but then that causes a new issue of storage placement. We are using 2 drives and with the AIO there is only native support for a single.

I think my best option would be to run the AIO and rig up a location for the second drive.

What do you guys think? Am I just over thinking it and the air coolers will do just fine? Any idea where I can fit a second drive?

Last edited:

SpringerTheNerd

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 7, 2017
The C7 Cu wins out a little bit, but what is important is the cooler is far enough from the side panel to not cause as much noise.

I think I'll end up making a spacer for the side panel about a 1/2 inch thick. It would give the C7/Noctua fan just over 10mm of clearance from the panel.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I think I'll end up making a spacer for the side panel about a 1/2 inch thick. It would give the C7/Noctua fan just over 10mm of clearance from the panel.

If you can do that, then the C7 is an excellent choice. If you have 58mm of clearance, you can also use a larger cooler, like big Shuriken 2. The bigger cooler offset the turbulence issue since the airflow is spread out over a larger surface area.

zeta555

Caliper Novice
Aug 1, 2018
hey guys, im new to this sff thing

i'm looking at this case for my first build
anyone have problem with 8700k+1080ti combination in this? i mean temp wise.

that's the kind of spec that i'm thinking of using, or even the 9th gen i9 and new nvidia 11 series.

oh i'm not using it for rendering or anything, mostly just games.

any advice is appreciated

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
hey guys, im new to this sff thing

i'm looking at this case for my first build
anyone have problem with 8700k+1080ti combination in this? i mean temp wise.

that's the kind of spec that i'm thinking of using, or even the 9th gen i9 and new nvidia 11 series.

oh i'm not using it for rendering or anything, mostly just games.

any advice is appreciated

The 1080 ti will do okay. The cpu will not. Get the Ncase if you want to OC. Undervolt, delid, and underclock is something you will need to do to run an i9.

zeta555

Caliper Novice
Aug 1, 2018
The 1080 ti will do okay. The cpu will not. Get the Ncase if you want to OC. Undervolt, delid, and underclock is something you will need to do to run an i9.
i see, even with the 92mm aio? i'm not going to OC the cpu though. both the gpu and cpu both will be at stock.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
i see, even with the 92mm aio? i'm not going to OC the cpu though. both the gpu and cpu both will be at stock.

A 92mm aio is slightly better than an LP53, based on user reports. You should match the components to the case. People can't run a 6C/12t at stock (without noise issues) so i don't see the point of trying to cram a 8c/16t.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@Thehackl: The new i9 (i9 9900K) will not use TIM it will be soldered so it will be easier to cool as the 8700k.

Why I know this? My old 5820K (140W 6c/12t) CPU was much easier to cool as the 7700K ( 95W 4c/8t). The 5820K is soldered while the 7700K use TIM.

zeta555

Caliper Novice
Aug 1, 2018
A 92mm aio is slightly better than an LP53, based on user reports. You should match the components to the case. People can't run a 6C/12t at stock (without noise issues) so i don't see the point of trying to cram a 8c/16t.
@Thehackl: The new i9 (i9 9900K) will not use TIM it will be soldered so it will be easier to cool as the 8700k.

Why I know this? My old 5820K (140W 6c/12t) CPU was much easier to cool as the 7700K ( 95W 4c/8t). The 5820K is soldered while the 7700K use TIM.
well, seems like i have to wait until someone use that config then. if it's really hot, i need to find a bigger case

Jubei

Efficiency Noob
Aug 2, 2018
Hi Everyone,

May I know is there enough space to install 92mm or 120mm AIO with the following spec?
- Ryzen 1800x or 2700x CPU
- ASUS ROG STRIX X370-I GAMING
- 2x8gb Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz RAM
- ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Mini (Card Length 211mm x 125mm)
- Silverstone SX650-G SFX 650W FULL MODULAR 80PLUS GOLD
- 3 X 2.5" HDD (2 SSD + 1 HDD)
- EVO 970 256GB M.2

Thanks!