DAN A4-SFX v4.1

Desertf0x9

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
So with Max TDP set to 95 on my 9900k. Undervolt of -100 mv in the bios. Turboboost power max 95W. Getting 86 with prime95. Vcore is 1.225 V. However I don't know why but my cores only go up 3500. Maybe I'm hitting a power limit. I'm happy with this as I boost up to 4700 during gaming or other applications.

krinkle

Cable Smoosher
Sep 17, 2018
which model of 2070? A4 only supports dual slot, nothing wider. So if the cooler is at all wider than 2 slot it will not fit.

Well the ones I’m looking at are 2 slot. I had a conversation with EVGA and they measured the 2070 I was looking at and one of the 1080 ti cards that are on the compatibility list and they were the same. I ordered the 2070. I’ll know soon if it fits for sure.

JAugust

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2018
Will the Black ridge be capable of cooling a 2700X ? Not overclocked though, just stock. I want to switch from Intel to AMD since Intel has these craaaazy prices and I kinda want to try Ryzen, but the 2700X seems like a better deal over the 2700, but the TDP is 105W.. now the blackridge has a TDP of 95 if I'm right. Or would I be better off with the 2700 non X? I really don't know. I'm all new to AMD though, and I thought the 3.2base speed upto 4.1ghz single core would be around 3.4ish ghz on all cores. Which sounds "slow"? Idk. Also I dont know if it will use all cores in gaming though?

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Will the Black ridge be capable of cooling a 2700X ? Not overclocked though, just stock. I want to switch from Intel to AMD since Intel has these craaaazy prices and I kinda want to try Ryzen, but the 2700X seems like a better deal over the 2700, but the TDP is 105W.. now the blackridge has a TDP of 95 if I'm right. Or would I be better off with the 2700 non X? I really don't know. I'm all new to AMD though, and I thought the 3.2base speed upto 4.1ghz single core would be around 3.4ish ghz on all cores. Which sounds "slow"? Idk. Also I dont know if it will use all cores in gaming though?
You'd be better off with the 2700, I had to sell my 2700X as cooling it in the A4 is just too challenging for any tangible benefits over a Non-X processor.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Is it possible to paint the exterior of this case?
Sure, you'd just need to remove the anodizing and prime the brushed surface with some sanding. Whether it's worth it is another question though, the finish on the case is really understated and premium.

Desertf0x9

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
I just went from a 2700x to a 9900k. Ironically my 9900k runs cooler, quieter and at higher frequencies. If you want a gaming CPU i would avoid the 2700x.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
I just went from a 2700x to a 9900k. Ironically my 9900k runs cooler, quieter and at higher frequencies. If you want a gaming CPU i would avoid the 2700x.
If you want a purely gaming CPU I feel like you're almost better off saving a bit and getting the 9700K since hyperthreading is rarely used in games and the 8 physical cores will be solidly future proof.
But yes, the Intel CPU will be way better for gaming than the AMD unit.

I have just ordered an ID-Cooling NO12015 for my Black Ridge when it arrives.
I'll be also getting some VLP memory before then too so I can run the cooler in high performance mode.

Does anyone know of any available heatspreaders that are designed for VLP memory that don't add height but aren't.. y'know, purple?

JAugust

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2018
Hmmm alright... I thought the X would be better even on stock speeds. Guess I'll stick with the non X then. And no, it's not for gaming only. I only play some older games, but most of the time I'm just multitasking a lot. Although my 6500 is a bottleneck though

wolf30

Chassis Packer
Aug 28, 2018
If you want a purely gaming CPU I feel like you're almost better off saving a bit and getting the 9700K since hyperthreading is rarely used in games and the 8 physical cores will be solidly future proof.
But yes, the Intel CPU will be way better for gaming than the AMD unit.

I have just ordered an ID-Cooling NO12015 for my Black Ridge when it arrives.
I'll be also getting some VLP memory before then too so I can run the cooler in high performance mode.

Does anyone know of any available heatspreaders that are designed for VLP memory that don't add height but aren't.. y'know, purple?

Any reason why you are getting ID cooling fan instead of noctua fan?

Sergei Koynov

Minimal Tinkerer
Sep 13, 2018
Your images are not displaying; I'm very curious how your setup looks. I have the same Mother board and CPU in my current setup, and I would like to see how those components look inside of the DAN A4.

I do not understand why my images are not displaying. So I did direct links in my posts. Please chek it.

tenrose

Caliper Novice
Jun 27, 2018
Is there any chance @dondan of future options like alternate panels with different IO or my preference, no IO at all?

I would love an option for a completely clean front panel and a rear power button, or more likely a front panel with ONLY a power switch and nothing else since I don't use front panel IO due to having a hub attached to my desk. Is there a chance custom panels may become a thing down the line?
going off this it would be nice if the panels were modular, in that you could purchase sides and a top which allowed for room to mount a 240mm rad + fans in the top of the case. similar to the tophats of that other expensive sfx case which looks similar.

tenrose

Caliper Novice
Jun 27, 2018
The case is 114mm in width so a 240mm rad will not fit.
the modular side panels i was talking above in my post above could allow for this extra width. i've seen a build with 3d printed spacers for the side panels to allow extra cpu cooler height, perhaps something like this could be done to allow for the extra width required

DarkCanuck

Average Stuffer
Jun 28, 2018
I do not understand why my images are not displaying. So I did direct links in my posts. Please chek it.
Thank you for adding the links; your images validated my plans for my build.
I'll probably be running a slightly different config: utilizing a HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX and a 400W AC-DC unit (when it becomes available).

JAugust

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2018
The L9A is capable of cooling a 2700X, not overclocked ofcourse. but properly ventilation, they mean a decent airflow? I bet it's not meant for the DAN.. but what if i slap a bigger fan on the headsink? or use my C7 with the noctua L9I/A fan?

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Any reason why you are getting ID cooling fan instead of noctua fan?
Cos it's $13 and I am modding it with a Phanteks Halo RGB fan frame I have lying around (the LED strip can be easily removed and attached to another fan) which I reckon would look really cool on the smoked out grey frame of the ID fan.

I may move to the Noctua down the line, but wanted to give this a crack first XD

Desertf0x9

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
I will say my CU C7 with noctua fan had trouble cooling the 2700x even running at 4.0 ghz. Stock 3.7 is fine but pushing it to 4.1 and 4.2 it got real hot real quick.

JAugust

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2018
Hmm yeah, I'm already considering a 120mm AIO. But I got a feeling I should wait for the Ryzen 3000 series.

Was that 4.0ghz on all cores though?

Last edited:

DarkCanuck

Average Stuffer
Jun 28, 2018
I currently work on the water cooling manual/guide for the A4-SFXv3. It will be available as an PDF on dan-cases.com. It will include all three possebilities to installe an AIO inside the v3.

@dondan Have you finished the Water cooling manual that you announced in May? Or are you currently waiting for the debut of the
HDPLEX 400W AC-DC Adapter to finalize your listed configurations.

Last edited: