DAN A4-SFX v4.1

nhatminh2h

Cable Smoosher
Dec 23, 2020
Are my temps normal?
R5 3600 /w NHL9i At stock, I reach a max of 88-90 C on prime95 and Cinebench, idles around 45 C. After some tuning(CTR did not work well for me, possibly due to limited cooling), CPU runs at 4GHz 1.05V, idles at 38-40 C, Cinebench maxes out at ~72 C(possibly lower if I max out my fans), and prime95 small FFT gets to about 80-82 C.

Also printed a custom bracket to rotate the orientation of the cooler fins, not sure how much that helped with temps.

Mentanoo

Efficiency Noob
Jan 18, 2020

The window kit came in!
It looks so cool, but I think the letters don't let in enough air, so I will add another 2mm spacer to lift the window from the wood.
I can upload the spacer file if you guys are interested, the evga fits nicely :)

Reactions: SiKiaTriK

neoberg

Cable Smoosher
Dec 18, 2020
Just finished my build with a similar setup. As recommended by nearly everyone, I went with both bottom fans as exhaust and CPU fan as intake
Thank you. I will probably go with that, too. Actually I ordered 2 different psus; one is sfx and the other one is sfx-l. I will try 2 different configurations:
1st option: sfx-l flipped, single exhaust below the mobo
2nd option: sfx, 2 exhausts

SiKiaTriK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 28, 2019
Anyone ever bulit a NAS inside the Dan A4 with GPU? Just curious.
Unless you're going with the IGPU and build some custom bracket to install HDD's on the available GPU chamber space... only 3 x 2.5" units seems a bit weak to be a proper NAS. On the other hand, a well designed bracket could easily accommodate like 6 drives, making the total amount inside the case up to 9 ☺️ (it's easy to dream)

lilclie

Caliper Novice
Jul 14, 2019
Unless you're going with the IGPU and build some custom bracket to install HDD's on the available GPU chamber space... only 3 x 2.5" units seems a bit weak to be a proper NAS. On the other hand, a well designed bracket could easily accommodate like 6 drives, making the total amount inside the case up to 9 ☺️ (it's easy to dream)
Thanks! question is how far should I go?

Frenzy

Trash Compacter
Feb 14, 2020
Are my temps normal?
R5 3600 /w NHL9i At stock, I reach a max of 88-90 C on prime95 and Cinebench, idles around 45 C. After some tuning(CTR did not work well for me, possibly due to limited cooling), CPU runs at 4GHz 1.05V, idles at 38-40 C, Cinebench maxes out at ~72 C(possibly lower if I max out my fans), and prime95 small FFT gets to about 80-82 C.

Running an 3700x + NHL9a (you have really an "i", i is for intel with alt. bracket ? But not big cooling difference what i've read).
Its quite a bit warmer still, your temps look as expected i'd say. Idle temps are quite low actually.
Using: PBO off, slight undervolt, fan duct

Main thing that helped with the noise during idle was adjusting "Minimum processor power state" in "advanced power settings" in the AMD Ryzen power plan (using Balanced). Somehow initially stuck on 95% or something to that order.

edit: Ow interesting you have a bracket to change the orientation of the fins. Would be interesting to read the difference in temp between stock (not optimal layout) and adjusted with the bracket.

Last edited:

SiKiaTriK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 28, 2019
Thanks! question is how far should I go?
Well, that depends entirely on your needs. From 2 drives on Raid 1 you could talk of a "NAS", but if you want awesome bandwidth, data redundance and so you'll need more drives, storage and perhaps dedicated board to control it all. I've never attempt to build a dedicated NAS, just have a fair old Synology with 2 drives but it copes with my needs, so it's OK for now.

Mentanoo

Efficiency Noob
Jan 18, 2020
Just added a second noctua a9x14 under the powersupply to help dump the heat, and did some cablemanaging.
temps:
CPU: 78/80c -> 62c
GPU: 80c -> 72c.
I did not expect this much difference. Very happy with the results. the PC is totally quiet under full load now! and the 3080 now runs at a stable 1950mhz, instead of dropping to around 1850mhz

daddelbud

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 9, 2019
Just added a second noctua a9x14 under the powersupply to help dump the heat, and did some cablemanaging.
temps:
I did not expect this much difference. Very happy with the results. the PC is totally quiet under full load now! and the 3080 now runs at a stable 1950mhz, instead of dropping to around 1850mhz
Very nice! Intake or exhaust and what speed?

Mentanoo

Efficiency Noob
Jan 18, 2020
Very nice! Intake or exhaust and what speed?
Both as exhaust :)

I have a blackridge CPU cooler with this curve:
20% - 28c
40% - 38c
54% - 75c
74% - 80c
100% - 90c

idles at 990RPM / 46c cpu

and the 2 noctuas:
36% - 44c
49% - 78c
100% - 90c

idles at 1270RPM / 46c cpu

around 45dB at idle. while gaming it is audible but quiet.

Reactions: dondan and condelio

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
temps:

Please post some detailed pics of your rig.

Happy 2021!

Reactions: condelio

xtraj

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 10, 2020
Both as exhaust :)

I have a blackridge CPU cooler with this curve:
20% - 28c
40% - 38c
54% - 75c
74% - 80c
100% - 90c

idles at 990RPM / 46c cpu

and the 2 noctuas:
36% - 44c
49% - 78c
100% - 90c

idles at 1270RPM / 46c cpu

around 45dB at idle. while gaming it is audible but quiet.
did you set both of the exhaust noctuas to follow CPU temps?

Patience

Efficiency Noob
Jan 5, 2021
Hi Everyone,

Just created a account in order to thanks DAN for the great case. I bought one in order to create a small factor workstation using intel Xeon as CPU.

Cable management was a bit a nightmare at the beginning, therefore I decided to create my homemade cables. they are still under progress, need to improve the sleeving.

Reactions: dealda

neoberg

Cable Smoosher
Dec 18, 2020
Thank you. I will probably go with that, too. Actually I ordered 2 different psus; one is sfx and the other one is sfx-l. I will try 2 different configurations:
1st option: sfx-l flipped, single exhaust below the mobo
2nd option: sfx, 2 exhausts
Tried the first configuration yesterday (sfx-l psu, flipped) and it didn’t work well. It works ok at the beginning when everything is cool but over time the psu heats and starts heating the side of the case and causes the cpu to heat (probably because the side panel heats the air pulled in to the cpu).

nhatminh2h

Cable Smoosher
Dec 23, 2020
Running an 3700x + NHL9a (you have really an "i", i is for intel with alt. bracket ? But not big cooling difference what i've read).
Its quite a bit warmer still, your temps look as expected i'd say. Idle temps are quite low actually.
Using: PBO off, slight undervolt, fan duct

Main thing that helped with the noise during idle was adjusting "Minimum processor power state" in "advanced power settings" in the AMD Ryzen power plan (using Balanced). Somehow initially stuck on 95% or something to that order.

edit: Ow interesting you have a bracket to change the orientation of the fins. Would be interesting to read the difference in temp between stock (not optimal layout) and adjusted with the bracket.
I didn't really have the chance to do any testing with the cooler in the default orientation because for some reason mine was touching the vrm heatsink(). Since printing custom brackets would solve both that and the air flow problem, I decided to just go for it. Here's an album for my build ().

Happy with my temps atm,
- The 3600 is running at 4.1GHz 1.05V, lightwork load with about 50 chrome tabs and a few applications open -> 45C(silent), gaming -> 60 C (audible), prime 95 -> 78-80 C(loud).

- GPU 3070FE stock, gaming(Metro 2033, haven't had a chance to play many games) -> 75-78C. I haven't tried any of the novel solutions like turning the case upside down or tape mod+fan duct on the GPU side.

The only upgrade I can really foresee is an A9 fan under neat the PSU as I currently have an A9x14.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Hi Everyone,

Just created a account in order to thanks DAN for the great case. I bought one in order to create a small factor workstation using intel Xeon as CPU.

Cable management was a bit a nightmare at the beginning, therefore I decided to create my homemade cables. they are still under progress, need to improve the sleeving.

Very Cool please share specs.