DAN A4-SFX v4.1

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
Allright, someone has to do it...

Despite that it's now clear to me that it is possible to make a custom aio with the Eisbaer LT Solo in the Dan A4 (I tailor-made it directly for this case), I failed in implementing it on my first try. As it can be seen on the awful quality pictures I made with my 13 year old feature phone, it is possible to do this with Vengeance LPX RAM and Alphacool's 12.7/7.6 metal fittings with a 10mm and a 15mm extender. The fittings can go under the screw that holds the aio on the mobo and it still leaves enough space to plug in the fan and aio headers and even include the case fan underneath! However, I failed to measure the tube lenght correctly and they ended up being too long resulting in the side panels not fitting correctly. Tubes are very rigid and are pushing onto the panels. I could still close them but they only stay put if I screwed them on. This I didn't like as I don't want to strain the tubes that much especially for long term. So I went with plan B, a reliable L9a + fan duct combo for now. Cable management turned out better than expected. This is my first pc built ever and going sff is one thing, but I was a little overconfident when I tackled into the territory of custom watercooling in addition. Maybe I do another attempt with my aio some other time - I still have most of my coolant and tubes. It's overkill for the 3300x I have underneath but the concept of using a 120mm aio in the Dan A4 really appealed to me.

Now some thoughts on this pinnacle of german engineering that is the Dan A4: I love this case, it's the one that made me go sff. Found it quite early when I got introduced to the topic. I immediately knew this is the way to go for me instead of another laptop. Saw a lot of other options that were nice but always came back to this one and I'm glad I did. However it's not perfect - the power button inside and the wire seems VERY fragile and unprotected to me. I took great care not let anything touch it but it would be nice to cover it with a small piece of metal. Also, if the side panel on the gpu-side can be increased by 3mm, I could've used an NF-A12x25 with that XSPC 20mm radiator and that would be insane:)

One thing that ruins my mood is that single case fan under the mobo that is loud for some reason and I don't know why. The whole build is silent otherwise. I will now check if lowering it's fan curve would solve this. Did not set anything yet, but if any of you have another solution please share it!

Last edited:

SiKiaTriK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 28, 2019
Allright, someone has to do it...

Despite that it's now clear to me that it is possible to make a custom aio with the Eisbaer LT Solo in the Dan A4 (I tailor-made it directly for this case), I failed in implementing it on my first try. As it can be seen on the awful quality pictures I made with my 13 year old feature phone, it is possible to do this with Vengeance LPX RAM and Alphacool's 12.7/7.6 metal fittings with a 10mm and a 15mm extender. The fittings can go under the screw that holds the aio on the mobo and it still leaves enough space to plug in the fan and aio headers and even include the case fan underneath! However, I failed to measure the tube lenght correctly and they ended up being too long resulting in the side panels not fitting correctly. Tubes are very rigid and are pushing onto the panels. I could still close them but they only stay put if I screwed them on. This I didn't like as I don't want to strain the tubes that much especially for long term. So I went with plan B, a reliable L9a + fan duct combo for now. Cable management turned out better than expected. This is my first pc built ever and going sff is one thing, but I was a little overconfident when I tackled into the territory of custom watercooling in addition. Maybe I do another attempt with my aio some other time - I still have most of my coolant and tubes. It's overkill for the 3300x I have underneath but the concept of using a 120mm aio in the Dan A4 really appealed to me.

Now some thoughts on this pinnacle of german engineering that is the Dan A4: I love this case, it's the one that made me go sff. Found it quite early when I got introduced to the topic. I immediately knew this is the way to go for me instead of another laptop. Saw a lot of other options that were nice but always came back to this one and I'm glad I did. However it's not perfect - the power button inside and the wire seems VERY fragile and unprotected to me. I took great care not let anything touch it but it would be nice to cover it with a small piece of metal. Also, if the side panel on the gpu-side can be increased by 3mm, I could've used an NF-A12x25 with that XSPC 20mm radiator and that would be insane:)

One thing that ruins my mood is that single case fan under the mobo that is loud for some reason and I don't know why. The whole build is silent otherwise. I will now check if lowering it's fan curve would solve this. Did not set anything yet, but if any of you have another solution please share it!

I would say like 1cm from either tube, especially the short one as it would allow the right fitting to rotate a bit more and take the long tube into the case with it. On the other hand, I have the exact same problem with the fan under the mobo and it's because of the closeness to the edge of the board / tray itself. Mine's a 15mm tall fan, so the problem is aggravated and indeed you can address it with a more flattened curve on bios. Man! give it another try whenever you can because this is going to work and it will be awesome!. ?

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
Ok. So since then a BIOS update basically ruined my mood as it did not recognize my ssd afterwards and the OS was there of course (thankfully not much else). I managed to solve this eventually but it was not a pleasant afternoon. Set up some fan curves for the case fans and cpu and that definitely helped. Installed a couple of utility programs, wanted to check on my gpu as it seemed cool, fans were not even moving. Then according to msi afterburner my regular (non-oc) 2060 mini (rev.2) is idling on 55c. A little too hot for the fans to not move. Started to stress it a bit and it got this sudden spikes in speeding up and toning down for seconds at a time. That got solved with setting a fan curve that lets it barely spin at a much lower temp and then have it gradually increase. From setting it 30% at 30c and 50% at 60c, the temps got from a non-spinning 55 to a non-audiable 34c! But it's crazy how one have to fine tune everything, since components doesn't work properly just out of the box. At least my 3300x is an exception, but I didn't even get to memory tuning yet. That I need to do my research first as I don't know nothing about that, but I red it somewhere that it is recommended.

Does anybody know how to keep my gpu fan curve setting without running msi afterburner in the background?

Last edited:

supremeMilo

Trash Compacter
May 3, 2019
For those that have the blackridge with 120mm fan, do you use the fan bracket to hold it on or just pry it with the vlp and the riser? I can't figure out how to get the clips to work with the riser installed.

shelfcompact

Chassis Packer
Jan 8, 2020
Custom cable for the Nvidia 3070 FE came in. Notice there's no black adapter at the top of the card. Might be the first in the world?

Got it in exchange for sending my Nvidia factory adapter to the owner of a popular custom cable site so I'm the beta tester. Works fine and is cleaner.
You can see the original cable + adapter I was using under the system.

Now I can finally start testing and undervolting as I sent it off soon after getting the card.

Reactions: DarkCanuck

Nichronos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 22, 2018
wow this is small, what are the temps are noise level ?

Sorry, cant hear you.... can you repeat please? :D
In terms of temps, never exceeds 70*C in any stress test I throw at it!

My specs:
CPU: i9-9900KS @5GHz
GPU: RTX 3090 Turbo
RAM: 4400MHz 17-17-17-39
MB: ASRock Z390 PG ITX/ac
SSD: Samsung EVO 970 Plus
PSU: Corsair SF750 Platinum

Last edited:
Reactions: kiehl

ZTylerDurden

Trash Compacter
May 31, 2020

My specs:

And you're using the 92mm radiator. This is really promising for my future build. Some guy earlier also with a radiator had to adjust the riser for the card to not hit the radiator pipes. Did you have to do anything unique?

Reactions: Nichronos

Kozi

Caliper Novice
Jun 13, 2019

My specs:
Could you please include some noise samples while gaming and during full stress test? I’ve been considering this GPU and wonder how bad it is in terms of noise.

Nichronos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 22, 2018
And you're using the 92mm radiator. This is really promising for my future build. Some guy earlier also with a radiator had to adjust the riser for the card to not hit the radiator pipes. Did you have to do anything unique?

No needs to touch the riser with the custom cables from Pslate Customs, card does not fit in the case with stock braided cables at all!

joconnell

Average Stuffer
Jul 23, 2019
Really interesting that it goes in there! I wonder what'd happen if you did a slight underclock on it like optimum tech - I know it kinda defeats the purpose of having a turbo card but I wonder if it could be made to lose a tiny bit of performance for the sake of being possible to have beside you!

joconnell

Average Stuffer
Jul 23, 2019
1 fan in the bottom should be exhaust. I think that would improve it. Kinda weird you are getting 83 on yours. My 3080 FE should’ve been higher than that but I only get a max of 77C and mine is undervolted to 2025MHz/.925V.

This is interesting, i'll be looking at a 20gb 3080ti when they come out. I've got a 3950 with the asetek 645 and a noctua on top plus the extra noctua underneath the motherboard. Very heartening that the temperature seems good, I'd love to keep the size of the case as is!

@dondan the loudest thing in my build is the asetek, have you tried anything that does a good job on a 3950x and is a little quieter or even has a less whiney sound?

Nichronos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 22, 2018
This is interesting, i'll be looking at a 20gb 3080ti when they come out. I've got a 3950 with the asetek 645 and a noctua on top plus the extra noctua underneath the motherboard. Very heartening that the temperature seems good, I'd love to keep the size of the case as is!

@dondan the loudest thing in my build is the asetek, have you tried anything that does a good job on a 3950x and is a little quieter or even has a less whiney sound?

Yea 3950x seems fine, but the 5950x is literally a nuclear reactor, the asetek 645 is far from enough!

Kozi

Caliper Novice
Jun 13, 2019
Yea 3950x seems fine, but the 5950x is literally a nuclear reactor, the asetek 645 is far from enough!
I managed to put 5800x with Asetek and used liquid metal (grizzly condactonaut). In OCCT it reached max 93C. I set it to 4500 Mhz and 1.25V in Bios and it goes up to 90 max. I will run Cinebench later to see what is the performance degradation and will post results here (provided that I will get my Dan back which got lost with my luggage at the airport :-)