DAN A4-SFX v4.1

area

Case Bender
New User
Nov 17, 2020
Was kind of counting on the stock 6800xt fitting in a Dan A4 with a spacer, but that Optimum Tech video seems to put paid to that.

Time wait for the partner cards, I guess!

dank

Efficiency Noob
Nov 16, 2020
Request A4-SFX v5?:

I am currently in the process of ordering the next batch of A4-SFX. I have the idea to make the case 5mm more wide to support 2.5 Slot GPUs. With this change all new AMD cards will fit.

The volume will be increase from 7.2L to 7.6L.

What do you think?

Gee, now I regret buying v4.1 (and it just arrived). Anyways, do you have an estimation of when it'll become available? I'd love to sacrifice a bit of volume for it to accommodate 2.5 slot GPUs!

Nichronos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 22, 2018
@noregas: I am not interested in offering two products that are so similar. There will be only one A4-SFX.

As i said there will be 2 slot or at least 2,2 slot of every GPU, its just not on launch day,
going for 2.5 slot for people that are too lazy to wait regardless that they wont even be able to purchase the GPU this year is ridiculous!
The only reason most people buy DAN A4 vs for example the Ghost S1 is because is more compact and can fit inside DSLR bags.
I already have my A4 and I'm proud of it! :)

definelicht

Caliper Novice
Sep 24, 2020
Request A4-SFX v5?:

I am currently in the process of ordering the next batch of A4-SFX. I have the idea to make the case 5mm more wide to support 2.5 Slot GPUs. With this change all new AMD cards will fit.

What do you think?

This sounds amazing, but I second the concern with the camera bag: I take my case on flights, and it's a major part of why I chose the case over something bigger. I would jump on this if I knew that there was a corresponding bag where it would fit.

dank

Efficiency Noob
Nov 16, 2020
What about dan-a5? The same case, but stands vertical for less footprint, similar to velka 7.
Tbh, I find 3d printing a spacer for the gpu door a good enough solution. A 2.5 slot dan will have similar problems to our current 2 slot. AIB will start making 2.5 or 2.6 slot cards that make the fans come too close to the door, causing air turbulence noise. A spacer can be printed to your needs.
If I saw it correctly, 6800XT doesn't fit even without the side panel (the left stand on the back interferes with the GPU's shroud), so even a spacer can't help.

definelicht

Caliper Novice
Sep 24, 2020
As i said there will be 2 slot or at least 2,2 slot of every GPU, its just not on launch day,
going for 2.5 slot for people that are too lazy to wait regardless that they wont even be able to purchase the GPU this year is ridiculous!
The only reason most people buy DAN A4 vs for example the Ghost S1 is because is more compact and can fit inside DSLR bags.
I already have my A4 and I'm proud of it! :)

I somewhat disagree with this though, the trend from the last few generations has been towards phasing out two-slot designs. Blowers cards have all but vanished. Even many lower end 3080 boards are 3-slot now. It's not a bad idea to try to anticipate this!

Reactions: BummlerD

ahillelt

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 11, 2020
Would this also benefit those of us wanting to be able to fit a larger radiator for the CPU?

Request A4-SFX v5?:

What do you think?

Nichronos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 22, 2018
I somewhat disagree with this though, the trend from the last few generations has been towards phasing out two-slot designs. Blowers cards have all but vanished. Even many lower end 3080 boards are 3-slot now. It's not a bad idea to try to anticipate this!

All are 3 slots because they were over rushed, manufacturers throw the maximum they had on them so its guaranteed they can stay cool,
better optimized PCBs are coming next year, also there will be ITX versions of the RTX3070 @220W also bellow cards like RTX3060 @180W and RX6800 @220W

Maeiourk

Chassis Packer
Oct 18, 2020
Managed to get my Dan back so I played a little more with the new Ryzen 7 5800x. On Asus X570-I gaming with the latest beta firmware I managed to stabilise CPU at 4600Mhz applying 1.24V. It successfully passed OCCT linpack test with highest temp peak at 92C (ambient room temp 24C). This is with grizzly condactonaut so I would expect worse temps with normal thermal paste. Cinebench r23 results: 1512 single core and 15438 multi core. I believe it could be a nice combo with new 6800 cards after Dan release 2.5 slot version of the case.
Fyi, 5800x runs hot compared to the other 5000 series. It’s the CPU itself. From Anandtech

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
@dondan I can propose an idea that will please everyone (hopefully):
Make an official metal GPU spacers as an accessory,
then you can have an 2,5 slot and even 3 slot editions of the case while preserving the original design of the 4.1 version!
End of story :)
That's really cool actually! like top-hat system of the Ghost/Ghost-like cases, except in this case it will be side-hat ?

kondrat2004

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 16, 2020
That looks great! Share your 3D file... please?

Link to files as discussed:

Thanks,

Denis

SiKiaTriK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 28, 2019
Request A4-SFX v5?:

What do you think?

I think that everyone is going to benefit from more room to play (except the volume fanatics): less turbulence noise, more possibilities when deshroud and a bit more ventilation on top (one extra row of holes maybe?). Due to the issues with the flow through design of the next gen GPUS I was wondering: since we're building more "wall" with that 5 extra mm, maybe the vertical aluminum fin between the two gpu slots could be deleted. That way you could play with the riser standoffs to make more or less room for thicker backplates / thicker vents and for the air to scape on RTX series between them and the PSU without worrying to block all your ports (maybe just half of them if you go too far on any side).

Last edited:
Reactions: Bonusround

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
I think that everyone is going to benefit from more room to play (except the volume fanatics): less turbulence issues, more possibilities when deshroud and a bit more ventilation on top (one extra row of holes maybe?). Due to the issues with the flow through design of the next gen GPUS I was wondering: since we're building more "wall" with that 5 extra mm, maybe the vertical fin between the two gpu slots could be deleted. That way you could play with the riser standoffs to make more or less room for thicker backplates / thicker vents and for the air to scape on RTX series between them and the PSU.
Yes! and also some 3090s and 3080s will FINALLY fit!