DAN A4-SFX v4.1

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
you can always go with
"NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition"
maximum power and it fits very well in dan a4 case.

Yeah, maximum power and maximum heat in basically a shoe box.

@Dawelio Yes I already have my PCIe cables routed through the front of the case. This gives me some room under the PCI brackets where the GPU is sat, so I was wondering if I could bunch up the bulk of the 24pin in that area.

I was wondering if there is enough gap between the PSU and the Mobo to fit the 24 pin through when coming back from the GPU side.

Another note: Is there a spreadsheet somewhere listing compatible GPUs? It seems a lot of manufactures list something as "Dual slot" even though the fans stick out slightly more - Thus making it incompatible with the DAN

As far as I know, here's an list of it. Not sure how updated it is though in regards to every GPU on the market: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/nvdia-gpu-compatibility-list.9992/

And no, I don't think there is enough room between the PSU and mobo. They are literally next to eachother. Maybe a few millimeters at most between them.

swaggywaggy

Average Stuffer
May 3, 2020
Got a good deal on a Noctua L9A. So I'll switch to that for the time being and see what prices and shipping are like from PSlate when they reopen.

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
@Dawelio do you know the length of the PSlate unsleeved 24 pin?

Due to one side cable is shorter than the other, to not have excess cable once twisted, I don't think it has an "standard" length of like 100mm.
But one is longer than the other.

Got a good deal on a Noctua L9A. So I'll switch to that for the time being and see what prices and shipping are like from PSlate when they reopen.

Oh nice, hope it works out for you! I'd highly recommend that you undervolt your CPU and set it at a constant voltage. Otherwise the fan will spin up and down randomly, which will get rather annoying. I experienced this and now I have my 3700X set at 4GHz @ 1.130V and it's silent. Slightly more noise while gaming though, but not much.

swaggywaggy

Average Stuffer
May 3, 2020
Otherwise the fan will spin up and down randomly, which will get rather annoying. I experienced this and now I have my 3700X set at 4GHz @ 1.130V and it's silent. Slightly more noise while gaming though, but not much.

Currently having that issue with the fan in the AIO but I'm experimenting with fan curves that is easing it off.

I have also set my GPU fan to 0RPM while under 50C.

Thanks for also mentioning your volts. I was curious as to what voltage would be needed for my 3600 to sit at 4Ghz. My old 1600 needed 1.37 for a 3.7Ghz OC

Hope to not be without the AIO for too long.

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 11, 2020
Hello members of the forum!

I'm planning on a new build with the Dan A4 V4.1, and my CPU cooler of choice is the Alpenfohn Black Ridge.
My planned config is:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Mobo: Asus ROG Strix B450-i
GPU: XFX Thicc II 5600XT
PSU: Corsair SF600
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb 3600mhz C18

If you have any experience with the Black Ridge cooler, I would like to know the temps and noise.
Thanks!

Reactions: thelaughingman

swaggywaggy

Average Stuffer
May 3, 2020
Hello members of the forum!

I'm planning on a new build with the Dan A4 V4.1, and my CPU cooler of choice is the Alpenfohn Black Ridge.
My planned config is:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Mobo: Asus ROG Strix B450-i
GPU: XFX Thicc II 5600XT
PSU: Corsair SF600
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb 3600mhz C18

If you have any experience with the Black Ridge cooler, I would like to know the temps and noise.
Thanks!

Hey @732

I recommend checking out this video and also this channel for more information on ITX builds. There is a few videos on the Dan case itself and some other low profile coolers.

Reactions: 732

x111

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
I'm not looking for anywhere near that much power. Looking for something between RX5500 and RX5600 - Also only looking at AMD as it plays nicer with Linux

than look not further
"PowerColor Red Dragon Radeon Rx 5700 Xt"
great power per $ !!
Also, check its review, it has some impressive performance compare to other radeon cards and well built internals.

Yeah, maximum power and maximum heat in basically a shoe box.

with two 120mm fans on the side your 2080ti will not heat over 70C at full blast.

Last edited:

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
with two 120mm fans on the side your 2080ti will not heat over 70C at full blast.

Umm, you can't add fans on the side - there isn't enough space.

And having them on the outside, I highly doubt that many people will like it this way. So this argument isn't that valid, since this requires some modding to the case and not many people are willing to do that. So a 2080 Ti inside of this case will get hot.

swaggywaggy

Average Stuffer
May 3, 2020
than look not further
"PowerColor Red Dragon Radeon Rx 5700 Xt"
great power per $ !!
Also, check its review, it has some impressive performance compare to other radeon cards and well built internals.

A 5700XT, is much more power and more costly than what I need. That's why I stated 5500/5600

@Dawelio do you think using the stock Corsair cables (flat ones that come with the Gold PSU) that the 24 pin could go out the PSU, under the motherboard and then back on itself and into the connector?

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
A 5700XT, is much more power and more costly than what I need. That's why I stated 5500/5600

@Dawelio do you think using the stock Corsair cables (flat ones that come with the Gold PSU) that the 24 pin could go out the PSU, under the motherboard and then back on itself and into the connector?

I had this exact same idea, but for the 8 pin CPU cable. Unfortunately, you can't. Due to this will interfere with the PCI-E riser cable that is attached to the case spine itself. Maybe you can try and force it a bit to get in there, but I didn't want to personally risk it and hence didn't go that route.

safenox

Efficiency Noob
New User
May 12, 2020
Friends I need help!

Here are my settings:

Dan A4 Sfx v4.1
I9 9900k Stock
Z390i Aorus pro wifi
Rtx 2080 Super
Ssd 970 evo plus
Vengeance lpx 16gb 3200mhz
Corsair sf750
Wc Asetek 645lt + Noctua NF-A9x14

Ambient temperature: 30 degrees.

When I'm playing, the processor temperature reaches 100 degrees.

Cooler at 100%.

What do you think of this?

HwInfo + AIDA64

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Friends I need help!

Here are my settings:

Dan A4 Sfx v4.1
I9 9900k Stock
Z390i Aorus pro wifi
Rtx 2080 Super
Ssd 970 evo plus
Corsair sf750

Cooler at 100%.

HwInfo + AIDA64

I think this:

1. Having run the Aida64 stress test for just over 4 minutes is basically nothing. The temperatues haven't reached equilibrium inside the AIO yet.
I ran my test for about 40 minutes and then it crashed. So just having passed a few minutes is nothing. I then ran it for over 12 hours without a crash, now we're talking.

2. The i9 9900K is a VERY hot running chip. So it's no surprise that you are reaching 100C, especially since running a small 92mm AIO. There's only so much cooling that small AIO provides.

3. My advice to you would be to undervolt your CPU. Find a clock that you're comfortable with, between performance and voltages. Ie, trying for 5GHz on all core clock in this scenario, might not be ideal. Due to the CPU will run rather hot constantly.
But maybe go for 4.5 - 4.7GHz depending on what voltages your CPU requires in order to run at that clock stable - It's important that it's stable at a specific clock.

Hence you're going to need to tinker around with a clock you'd like, then just go on and drop your voltage untill it doesn't crash during Aida64 stress test anymore. Then bump up the voltage about 0.005V which is what I did, but I have an 3700X chip.

Then when you have run the Aida64 test for maybe 12+ hours without an chrash, you should be good. But you never know untill the first month after this tinkering, since that is the "true" test on wether it's stable or not.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Reactions: safenox

x111

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
Friends I need help!

Here are my settings:

Dan A4 Sfx v4.1
I9 9900k Stock
Z390i Aorus pro wifi
Rtx 2080 Super
Ssd 970 evo plus
Corsair sf750

Cooler at 100%.

HwInfo + AIDA64

- put fan into intake
- do better cable management so there will be a little bit more room for air to escape
- put fan at 50% from 0C up to 40C and than aggressive up
- try to repaste your cpu
- make sure pump is working
- find a proper "Noctua NF-A9x14 2.5W" fan
- put extra fan under the motherboard and even sidewise facing pump.
- do not overclock your cpu

with my 3900x on the stress test "https://www.userbenchmark.com/"
without extra help of 120mm fans I got maximum 80C based on "HWMonitorPro" and other software and for very short time,
it stabilized to normal under 50C on cpu package.
also, I have just over 40C on motherboard and on both ssd.

Last edited:

safenox

Efficiency Noob
New User
May 12, 2020
I think this:

1. Having run the Aida64 stress test for just over 4 minutes is basically nothing. The temperatues haven't reached equilibrium inside the AIO yet.
I ran my test for about 40 minutes and then it crashed. So just having passed a few minutes is nothing. I then ran it for over 12 hours without a crash, now we're talking.

2. The i9 9900K is a VERY hot running chip. So it's no surprise that you are reaching 100C, especially since running a small 92mm AIO. There's only so much cooling that small AIO provides.

3. My advice to you would be to undervolt your CPU. Find a clock that you're comfortable with, between performance and voltages. Ie, trying for 5GHz on all core clock in this scenario, might not be ideal. Due to the CPU will run rather hot constantly.
But maybe go for 4.5 - 4.7GHz depending on what voltages your CPU requires in order to run at that clock stable - It's important that it's stable at a specific clock.

Hence you're going to need to tinker around with a clock you'd like, then just go on and drop your voltage untill it doesn't crash during Aida64 stress test anymore. Then bump up the voltage about 0.005V which is what I did, but I have an 3700X chip.

Then when you have run the Aida64 test for maybe 12+ hours without an chrash, you should be good. But you never know untill the first month after this tinkering, since that is the "true" test on wether it's stable or not.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Thank You my friend!!!!

I will study how to underclock and undervolting. I don't know how to do it.

Reactions: Dawelio

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Thank You my friend!!!!

I will study how to underclock and undervolting. I don't know how to do it.

No problem, happy to help! :)

Here's a small video that briefly touches on this. It is actually this video that I personally learned and took the data for my 3700X from. Since he happens to use exactly the same CPU, motherboard, AIO and case as me.

You could check out his other videos as well for maybe some more tips and info on this subject.

Here are some more videos for you, from a different Youtuber. This guy is well known, especially in the SFF community, since that is basically what his channel is focused on. The last video is specifically for your 9900K.

Please do keep in mind though, that I haven't personally watched these videos below, so not sure how well informed they are. Just linked them due to their titles suggests that they are related to this subject.

safenox

Efficiency Noob
New User
May 12, 2020
- put fan into intake
- do better cable management so there will be a little bit more room for air to escape
- put fan at 50% from 0C up to 40C and than aggressive up
- try to repaste your cpu
- make sure pump is working
- find a proper "Noctua NF-A9x14 2.5W" fan
- put extra fan under the motherboard and even sidewise facing pump.
- do not overclock your cpu

without extra help of 120mm fans I got maximum 80C based on "HWMonitorPro" and other software and for very short time,
it stabilized to normal under 50C on cpu package.
also, I have just over 40C on motherboard and on both ssd.

Omg man!!!

I didn't know that there were 2 models of this cooler. Mine is NF-A9x14 1.32w .

Is this what is causing the processor temperature to rise so much? That cooler?

What is the best cooler I can buy?

This one? Noctua NF-A9x14 2.5W. I didn't find this 2.5w version to sell.

Is there another one that is better?

Note: Sorry my english. I'm brazilian.

Noctua NF-A9x14 1.32W (01)

Noctua NF-A9x14 1.32W (02)

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017

That site you linked isn’t a stress test, it’s a website with a database of different performance data for different components.

Omg man!!!

I didn't know that there were 2 models of this cooler. Mine is NF-A9x14 1.32w .

Is this what is causing the processor temperature to rise so much? That cooler?

What is the best cooler I can buy?

This one? Noctua NF-A9x14 2.5W. I didn't find this 2.5w version to sell.

Is there another one that is better?

Note: Sorry my english. I'm brazilian.

Noctua NF-A9x14 1.32W (01)

Noctua NF-A9x14 1.32W (02)

The fan he’s referring to is the one included with the Noctua cooler and isn’t sold seperately. The slower rpm one is the one that is sold as a stand alone fan.

The reason the higher rpm fan is included with the low profile heatsink is because it’s a very small cooler and hence could potentially benefit from a faster fan. In order to provide decent cooling efficiency.

And no, you don’t actually need it. It just spins faster, ie has a higher rpm. Which results in more noise.

I have the slower one and it works just fine on my 645LT.

If you configure your system, ie get your clocks and voltages in check, you’ll see a big improvement. Try that first, since it’s free and only requires time.

Getting new fans, coolers etc costs and isn’t really proven to give enough advantage in terms of cooling efficiency to justify spending the extra cash on it.

Last edited:

element72

Average Stuffer
Oct 7, 2018
will right angle sata cables work ? It looks like it might not work because of the PSU. I just want to make sure before I order right angle ones.

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
will right angle sata cables work ? It looks like it might not work because of the PSU. I just want to make sure before I order right angle ones.

I wouldn't recommend it. While it might fit, it will be very tight. And I wouldn't be comfortable to have it like that long term wise.