Stalled Custom_MOD MINI

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
4.8L doesn't seem worth it to me just to accommodate the C7. The L9i is a better choice anyway.

I see where you are coming from but I had some issues keeping my r7 1700 decently cool under a C7 with 3700 on all cores and 1.25v. That was with the Asrock x370 itx board. I feel that the R7s amp draw means that you need a beefy cooler. Or better yet go with the 1600 in really small enclosures. All my opinion here. Stock clocks were acceptable.

That said I want to keep mine under or around 65c in a tiny enclosure unless stressing or doing serious work. Others may feel differently of course.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Since everyone can now order a custom sized case, I figured I'd let you know that my Batch 8 case is one:

108mm x 190mm x 190mm

I really liked the porportions of the original 3.27l. In order to keep them with a 190 depth, I had to make the height and width a bit larger.

Can't wait to see some pics when it's back from the factory!!!

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Sorry to repeat myself, but could someone answer my question from earlier -- could the 3.5L mini fit 2 7mm SSDs taped together with thin double sided tape (so a total of 14.5mm) and still fit a 1080 Mini?

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Well, I just built my rig into a DAN A4SFX while waiting for my Custom Mod. I have some bad news for anyone thinking of using the I7-8600K, 8700K, or other 95W CPUS...

The L9I cannot keep them cool enough. They hit 100C very quickly, and throttle hard. I'm still experimenting a bit, but by underclocking them to 4GHZ All core turbo, I was able to keep the temps in the 80s.

CoffeeLake runs hot, and may not be the best choice for one of these cases.

Reactions: Runamok81

Asdeff591

Cable Smoosher
Sep 21, 2017
Well, I just built my rig into a DAN A4SFX while waiting for my Custom Mod. I have some bad news for anyone thinking of using the I7-8600K, 8700K, or other 95W CPUS...

The L9I cannot keep them cool enough. They hit 100C very quickly, and throttle hard. I'm still experimenting a bit, but by underclocking them to 4GHZ All core turbo, I was able to keep the temps in the 80s.

Instead of underclocking, have you tried undervolting?
i am currently running a i5-4690K (88W), undervolted to 1.001v and its keeping it stable and only in the high 60's under load

Ziths

Chassis Packer
Mar 19, 2017
So, I was browsing through the order form and was particularly interested in the vent hole options (I've seen some pretty cool ones on here), but there are only 3 types shown in the order form (type 1,3 and 6). I would like to see the other types pictures as well, presumably the missing 2, 4, 5 etc.

Also, is there finally a good PSU cable length specification for your case? I know you combo them with the cases, but I want to customize it and such. I ask because I remember someone complaining here that some cables are too long or short, but that could be just me.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017

Agreed. Apparently Intel measures TDP from the base clock, which is cheating IMO... What I'm curious about is the 8700 stock heatsink. It should be able to handle the 8700's boost clock, otherwise Intel wouldn't have bundled it with it. And the L9i is better than the stock heatsink, yet there are reports that the L9i can't handle the 8700. I can't find much testing on this online.

I think the 8400 should be fine with the L9i. Pretty low clocks, only 4GHz turbo on 1 core, and 3.8 on 6 cores. And very good value. Perhaps the best choice for this case.

Maestria

Average Stuffer
Jun 8, 2017

Maybe you should consider delidding and undervolting. I have a 8700k with cache OC (4400Mhz instead of 3800Mhz) with a NH-L9i and i have still some room to OC it to 4700Mhz on all core under heaviest load.

Take a look : https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/i7-8700k-delided-and-silver-ihs-from-der8auer-team.3444/

Reactions: Runamok81

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Agreed. Apparently Intel measures TDP from the base clock, which is cheating IMO... What I'm curious about is the 8700 stock heatsink. It should be able to handle the 8700's boost clock, otherwise Intel wouldn't have bundled it with it. And the L9i is better than the stock heatsink, yet there are reports that the L9i can't handle the 8700. I can't find much testing on this online.

I think the 8400 should be fine with the L9i. Pretty low clocks, only 4GHz turbo on 1 core, and 3.8 on 6 cores. And very good value. Perhaps the best choice for this case.

I can confirm the following:

1. The stock heat sink is the same basic stock heat sink they've used for a while design wise. Not sure if the fan spins faster, but it's nothing special.

2. The L9i is a better cooler than the stock Intel.

3. Intel has allowed the power to spike in the 110-120 watt range for short times to get those 8700 turbo specs. Then it powers down to 65 watts. Here the L9i will maintain the base clock of 3.2ghz. Anything above is bonus.

4. Intel is now taking the NVIDIA approach to turbo in that it's become an "up to" number that doesn't mean it's fixed. They only gurentee the base clock.

5. I've been adjusting the power settings on the mainboard allowing the CPU to go up to 75 watts on long term. This puts me at about 4ghz turbo, while staying nearly silent.

6. If you want to avoid this headache or fun depending on your perspective, wait for the T series to launch.

7. Obvious thing is obvious... bigger cooler will allow for more wattage. The 8700 is a 100+ watt CPU at full turbo. If you want it to boost that high all the time, you'll need a bigger cooler than stock or L9i

8. Cases like the Dan or 3.5 with back to back style mounting are limited by the coolers available. Until Dan comes out with his own, or vendors increase the width of the CPU compartment, high speed fans will probably be the only choice.

9. I'm all for CPU delidding, but I don't have the time/patience for it.

10.... and let's bring this thread back to the 3.5. If you plan to use an L9i on the 8700/8700K in the Custom Mod case, seriously consider delid and liquid metal mod, or accept your turbo will be lower.

lqbweb

What's an ITX?
Oct 26, 2017
So, without a dedicated GPU, do you think there is enough room for a C7? I'm aiming for a small and silent 8700/8700K, no need for dedicated GPU.
You said that we can customize the size? can I decide it to be narrower, just enough to fit the C7?

Thanks!

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
I can confirm the following:

3. Intel has allowed the power to spike in the 110-120 watt range for short times to get those 8700 turbo specs. Then it powers down to 65 watts. Here the L9i will maintain the base clock of 3.2ghz. Anything above is bonus.

4. Intel is now taking the NVIDIA approach to turbo in that it's become an "up to" number that doesn't mean it's fixed. They only gurentee the base clock.

6. If you want to avoid this headache or fun depending on your perspective, wait for the T series to launch.

7. Obvious thing is obvious... bigger cooler will allow for more wattage. The 8700 is a 100+ watt CPU at full turbo. If you want it to boost that high all the time, you'll need a bigger cooler than stock or L9i

Great summary. I think it's ridiculous that Intel has designed these CPUs to thermal throttle at the rated TDP. Granted, very few people will use the stock cooler with the 8700, but guaranteeing only the base clock is stupid. Who would be okay with 3.2GHz. I really hate Nvidia's implementation of this where if your GPU goes above 55C, the thermal algorithms kick in and it starts to adjust the clock. You gotta be running at under 50C to get a stable clock... At least with Intel you can still set your own clock and TJMax, provided you can cool the CPU. But this is cheating, they can't call these chips 95W and 65W, completely arbitrary ratings. Anyway, enough ranting.

One final point, I think it's worth getting the 8700K as it costs roughly the same as the 8700, and you have complete control to set the clock and voltage to whatever your cooler can handle, and you have the flexibility to OC in a different case + better resale value.

Probably a good idea to delid if you can and also get the Mini with the super open vent design to maximize airflow. I am a dust control fanatic, so I thought I'd want to put dust filters on both sides of this case, but it's so small and components so exposed, it's probably really easy to just blow out the dust once a month with an electric PC duster, and with the giant vents you dont even have to disassemble the case to clean it. You basically get windows too.

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
One final point, I think it's worth getting the 8700K as it costs roughly the same as the 8700, and you have complete control to set the clock and voltage to whatever your cooler can handle, and you have the flexibility to OC in a different case + better resale value.

Not sure where you are at in the world but in the US the 8700k is $56 more, which is not quite roughly the same.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Not sure where you are at in the world but in the US the 8700k is $56 more, which is not quite roughly the same.

Fair enough, not quite roughly, but roughly roughly ;) in the context of a ~$1,300 build, which is probably what you're building with an 8700/8700K in this case. I guess if you know you'll never use it with any cooler other than an L9i, then it makes sense to go 8700. But I think you'll make the $50 back in higher resale value.