Stalled Custom_MOD MINI

sergiiua

The builder of unique cases ...
Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
@sergiiua will this fit in the case? It's just a couple mm taller than the 160-XT

No, 37 is the max.

alexep7

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 30, 2017
Hmm, if the difference is only 1.5mm I think I'll order it anyway and try to cram it into the case somehow, even if I have to bend or cut a little of the case... the 160-XT would cost me 40€+ more than that unit.

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
@sergiiua will this fit in the case? It's just a couple mm taller than the 160-XT

If the case can fit a 37mm cooler, which goes on top of the socket and ihs (which combine for 7.781mm), then it should fit just fine. You should have 6.281 mm clearance, minus whatever space is between the tips of the 24 pin connector and the motherboard (very little).

Reactions: alexep7

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
I have a case coming from batch 1 all and cant wait to see it in person.

It looks like its not too far off now!
Its in the states as of today.

From USPS tracking:
April 10, 2017, 10:38 am Processed Through Facility ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
That's great news! I can't wait to see you batch one folks building into your cases!

Also hopefully we'll get an update on batch 2 and that anodizing test soon too!

Reactions: alexep7

alexep7

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 30, 2017
If the case can fit a 37mm cooler, which goes on top of the socket and ihs (which combine for 7.781mm), then it should fit just fine. You should have 6.281 mm clearance, minus whatever space is between the tips of the 24 pin connector and the motherboard (very little).
The thing is the space between the tip of the 24 pin connector and the motherboard might not be very little. I don't have a motherboard here to measure it, but I feel like it'll fit but touch the side of the case. The biggest problem will be the connector on top of that Realan unit.

See this picture for reference with a ~36mm pico unit (160-XT)

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
The fact that this is a fully-fledged desktop computer is just mind-blowing to me. You can put a 6950X and a 1070 in there. I'd be willing to bet an ITX-sized 1080 (or 180W equivalent) would be out within a year. I'm curious to see the next revision.

Reactions: Acalanata

stevey500

Trash Compacter
Feb 16, 2017
I'd be willing to bet an ITX-sized 1080 (or 180W equivalent) would be out within a year.

With some modification to the Zotac 1080 Mini, I think it could work. Pinching off the over-hanging heatpipe and switching the fans out may do the trick just fine.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
You'd have to completely replace the cooler, as the entire heatsink protrudes 30 mm or so past the PCB and past what this case supports. I'd be curious to see a mod where a Gigabyte 1070 Mini's cooler is placed on the Zotac 1080 Mini and tested as a proof of concept, if that's even possible.

y.dn.a

Trash Compacter
Jan 29, 2017
You'd have to completely replace the cooler, as the entire heatsink protrudes 30 mm or so past the PCB and past what this case supports. I'd be curious to see a mod where a Gigabyte 1070 Mini's cooler is placed on the Zotac 1080 Mini and tested as a proof of concept, if that's even possible.

Could work, maybe...

Zotac GTX 1080 Mini

MSI GTX 1070 Aero ITX

Gigabyte GTX 1070 Mini ITX

Reactions: Acalanata

stevey500

Trash Compacter
Feb 16, 2017
You'd have to completely replace the cooler, as the entire heatsink protrudes 30 mm or so past the PCB and past what this case supports.

You wouldn't have to *replace* the cooler with some modifications to the factory cooler, is what I was meaning. Take a dremel metal cutting saw to the over-hanging fins and pinch off the heatpipe end (so that it continues to work of what's left of it) and there you go, you might have yourself a 1080 in this little awesome case. This zotac 1080 mini already has far better than expected thermal handling.

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
I'm pretty sure that would ruin the heatpipe.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Yeah... Pinch the heat pipe then cut but it seems like the chances of ruining the cooler are very high.

That being said post some pics if you make the attempt!

Reactions: iFreilicht

eggDK

Average Stuffer
Mar 14, 2016
And also @sergiiua, maybe you could note which batch each pic is from in the imgur album, to help spot the progress with each new batch? I'm lurking like a mofo :)

TinyAudio

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 9, 2017
@sergiiua or perhaps one of the lucky chaps who have received there's. Could I have an internal measurement please.

The internal measurement from the centre panel to the outer panel (MB side) + (GPU side).

Is the split even on both sides, not by much but it looks like the MB side is slightly larger.