Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Theelichtje

Chassis Packer
Mar 1, 2016
But guys. everyone knows that aluminium is the magic material that makes everything better!

Seriously though, the kickstarter does seem to have a small bump in backing, so who knows!

Anthony

Average Stuffer
Dec 5, 2015
Steel is such a wonderful material. It's a shame to see so many negative comments because it's not "Apple Sleek." How much did it cost to manufacture the current prototype? Can the cases be painted in the available batches the company is currently using to save on cost, or even be left untreated?

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 9, 2015
I don't know how committed you guys are to the naming of the Infinite Vent system, but I've seen it on enough marketing material that I was surprised that Dmitri just called it "the grid". Was he informed it had a name? Because I thought his video was going to be a good opportunity to inform the mass about the (name of the) system.

I am also disappointed that he didn't take the time to do a few shots of different things mounted onto the same face using the Infinite Vent. But that goes with the fact that he only had a few days time with it I suppose.

I know it may be a minor thing amongst others, but the Infinite Vent system is what really spoke to me, considering your company's name is based on a creature that takes on many forms.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Brian

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Steel is such a wonderful material. It's a shame to see so many negative comments because it's not "Apple Sleek."
To be fair, Apple also uses steel regularly, but structurally or when the weight or manufacturing cost aren't as big as an issue. Case in point: Apple Watch Sport (Aluminium) vs the more expensive Apple Watch (Stainless Steel).

Apple didn't have a hand in this, as most laptops before the aluminium MacBook were still 95% plastic casings with some slivers of metallic structures internally. People just don't consider steel as a quality material anymore and cases like Lian-Li have made more of an impact in this area than any other brand.

Theelichtje

Chassis Packer
Mar 1, 2016
Would it be an idea to post on the kickstarter that cheaper options for shipping are being looked at? I read some comments about people not buying because of the shipping price.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I don't know how committed you guys are to the naming of the Infinite Vent system, but I've seen it on enough marketing material that I was surprised that Dmitri just called it "the grid". Was he informed it had a name? Because I thought his video was going to be a good opportunity to inform the mass about the (name of the) system.

I am also disappointed that he didn't take the time to do a few shots of different things mounted onto the same face using the Infinite Vent. But that goes with the fact that he only had a few days time with it I suppose.

I know it may be a minor thing amongst others, but the Infinite Vent system is what really spoke to me, considering your company's name is based on a creature that takes on many forms.

This is really the only "disappointment" I had with his overview, since I think the functionality of the vents is a key feature of Cerberus. I think some of the other criticism I've read on here is a bit much, however - though that's just my own opinion.

To be fair, Apple also uses steel regularly, but structurally or when the weight or manufacturing cost aren't as big as an issue. Case in point: Apple Watch Sport (Aluminium) vs the more expensive Apple Watch (Stainless Steel).

Apple didn't have a hand in this, as most laptops before the aluminium MacBook were still 95% plastic casings with some slivers of metallic structures internally. People just don't consider steel as a quality material anymore and cases like Lian-Li have made more of an impact in this area than any other brand.

Our choice to use steel was deliberate for what we felt was important. It wasn't driven by cost, mostly just the ability to have a rigid frame (even with thinner metal) that can take more abuse when travelling.

That the perception of "aluminum = better" exists isn't terribly surprising, though - almost all high-end enclosures use aluminum. But we didn't do a good job of explaining why we went with steel, and why we thought that it was the better material to realize Cerberus with. That's on us.

Would it be an idea to post on the kickstarter that cheaper options for shipping are being looked at? I read some comments about people not buying because of the shipping price.

We already have, twice, but I'll mention it in an update recapping the past week and a half. Still waiting on figures from one fulfillment company at this point!

EDIT: Gamecrate (same guys at Newegg) just posted another article/build using Cerberus, this time tuned for silence! Check it out here.

Brian

Caliper Novice
Feb 5, 2016
With the ATX version and CPU clearance of 48mm, would the new C7 (47mm) be too tall to allow air cooling or would the Noctua NH-L91 (37mm) be the only choice for a 6700k? (i'll most likely go with AIO 120mm or 240 slim, but I just want to explore options)

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-...PU-Cooler-Review/Performance-and-Conclusion-0

Thanks

Edit: Would you guys recommend having the ATX PSU with the fan towards CPU side to help vent air out the CPU area or leave it facing out for cool air? (im planing a Platinum EVGA 850 P2)

Last edited:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I can't say for sure without actually testing it, but I'm fairly certain a C7 would perform poorly with an ATX PSU since there would be no room for the fan to intake air.

Plus if you have non-reference video cards then what air it can pull in would be warm exhaust from the cards.

Terse

Cable Smoosher
Mar 12, 2016
I find it hard to sift any useful information from the sludge of youtube comments, but that wasn't the best video that shows off the case to Joe Anybody that has never spend more than $100 on a case and certainly not one built by anyone outside China. Many design choices have already been communicated well on the kickstarter. This is a good case, the problem seems to be getting more of these units in capable reviewers hands (that actually do builds with them, hats off to the newegg team).

I know this kickstarter hasn't gone the best, lets learn from it and see what works in the months ahead to get this to those of us that want it.

tedlas

Average Stuffer
Aug 18, 2015
lets learn from it

I think that one of the things we learnt is that people don't appreciate the fact that things are made in america as much as we thought they would.

I do hope you guys figure out how to get this thing afloat, making them in china or otherwise.
I took some of the pics and showed some randoms online, one guy quoted me a setup and a small price per piece, and another lady quoted me a setup and sample price. Setup is refunded once an order of 500 pieces is made.

They say they do qc, and the second company has been in business for 10 years and do oem, so they seem ok. Seeing how it was possible to raise 45k+, I think some of these can be options, even if they low-balled and ends up costing twice as much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est and Brian

Theelichtje

Chassis Packer
Mar 1, 2016
I think that one of the things we learnt is that people don't appreciate the fact that things are made in america as much as we thought they would.

I do hope you guys figure out how to get this thing afloat, making them in china or otherwise.
I took some of the pics and showed some randoms online, one guy quoted me 11k setup and like $20 price per piece, and another lady quoted me ~750 setup and 125/pc sample price. setup is refunded once an order of 500 pieces is made.

They say they do qc, and the second company has been in business for 10 years and do oem, so they seem ok. Seeing how it was possible to raise 45k+, I think some of these can be options, even if they low-balled and ends up costing twice as much.

Very interesting ^^

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
Plenty of Powmax PSUs have "QC OK" stickers. Don't mean much when it turns your rig into a husk of charred metal.

tedlas

Average Stuffer
Aug 18, 2015
Plenty of Powmax PSUs have "QC OK" stickers. Don't mean much when it turns your rig into a husk of charred metal.
Building a metal box is a bit different from building a metal box with electronics inside.

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
Building a metal box is a bit different from building a metal box with electronics inside.

Nonetheless, how effective QA is entirely depends on what QA process was used. It's one thing to use a binary answer as a marketing point, another to follow a 38-page checklist when a shipment deadline is looming.

tedlas

Average Stuffer
Aug 18, 2015
I talked to Luke from LinusTechTips, and he said that you guys sent the email to the wrong email, as linus gets way too much email, you should've sent it to him, but they wouldn't "pimp" Kickstarters anymore because they have before, viewers backed it, the kickstarters failed or the product was bad (he was unclear), and the people doing the kickstarter peeps were dicks about it, so it made LMG look really bad, which can't happen.

Hope that explains something :)