Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

tedlas

Average Stuffer
Aug 18, 2015
3. Move production overseas (or at least to a different manufacturer), make changes to the design

Why would you have to change the design? Have you tried getting quotes yet, say on AliExpress? Is it not possible to find a manufacturer that wouldn't compromise the build quality?

If you revert back to the replaceable back panel, that would decrease the number of skus, and i'm sure you can find a manufacturer that would make a run of 200-250 full-spec cases for 180USD. Possibly, you can also have them shipped disassembled and unfinished, powdercoat them in the US, or just have them shipped finished but disassembled. Not sure if that would make the package smaller. Might have some issues with QC if shipping disassembled.

If you like or don't care to do it yourself, I can pester some companies and see what they say.

I believe that it's possible to move production overseas, and keep the quality the same, maybe adding 1-2 months to delivery, but still getting everything done by Christmas.

I don't know anything, just trying to help :)

Which other forums/subreddits should I post that review to?

Qrash

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2015
Yes. A couple of builds would have been nice to illustrate the flexibility of the design.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I can't yet watch the video (behind a firewall), but FWIW they got their hands on the enclosure only a few days ago! I'm actually quite surprised at the turnaround... And in any case, it probably isn't a formal "review" since what we sent them wasn't a shipping case, but a prototype. (I'm expecting a few criticisms about some details as a result of that, but those would be fair)

For us, we're really just wanting to see what they think stand out as the positives and drawbacks, as well as whether or not they see value in the philosophy/principles we're advocating for by making Cerberus.

raymondo

Trash Compacter
Mar 2, 2015
1. I'm very sure most people outside the US have lost interest because of the +120$ tacked on the price immediately on Kickstarter, this alone makes the case seem 50% more expensive (it is, ofcourse) than without. Disillusioning many people right there when they need to decide. [...] And 25% in taxes need to be added.
I didn't have the biggest interest yet thought the case to be quite promising and liked the ideas. So I would have opted for it for a reasonable price. However, Phuncz pointed out correctly that (at least for me) that if you happen to be living in good ol' Europe you'd be set back by a whopping estimated 400€. Consequentially I lost all interest due to overall costs (shipping, customs, VAT). It's a pity but I just wanted to give a little feedback. Hope you can sort it out and get the production running somehow.

Qrash

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2015
I can't yet watch the video (behind a firewall), but FWIW they got their hands on the enclosure only a few days ago! I'm actually quite surprised at the turnaround... And in any case, it probably isn't a formal "review" since what we sent them wasn't a shipping case, but a prototype. (I'm expecting a few criticisms about some details as a result of that, but those would be fair)

For us, we're really just wanting to see what they think stand out as the positives and drawbacks, as well as whether or not they see value in the philosophy/principles we're advocating for by making Cerberus.

Yes, Dmitry expressed both praise and criticism in the video. He definitely was impressed with the compactness of the case, especially given how accomodating it is for various build decisions. He liked how the handle mounts directly to the interior frame for strength. He was disappointed that the side bracket is not listed as compatible with 240 mm AIO radiators, unlike the Ncase M1. I think he forgot that the front area occupied by the SFX power supply would make that not possible. Dmitry did mention that a 240 mm radiator could fit at the bottom of the case or at the front (if an ATX power supply is used). He did criticise the length of the I/O cables and the difficulty he had with removing the panels.

Overall, ther was a lot that Dmitry liked about the Cerberus (even if he can't say it well) and he hopes the Kickstarter campaign is successful to show other case manufactures what is possible in a small form factor.

Reactions: tedlas

veryrarium

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 6, 2015
I just watched the entire HC video, I'm sorry to say this but I'm pretty disgusted, I can't think of how Dmitry could have made a worse presentation than this. Lack of time I understand, but through his reviewing experiences he should himself know so well that he can't make a reasonable judgement on the design of a PC case until he goes through the process of completing a build at least once. Even a single attempt to install a microATX board and an SFX PSU simultaneously would have allowed him to avoid making such a stupid comment about the side 240 rad, even if he lacks hands-on experience with SFX PSUs and couldn't visualize in his head the width of an SFX PSU and the width of a full size microATX board not allowing them to be installed in the NCASE M1 fashion. Same with his gripe about the front I/O cable length. When he said that in the video he could not even be sure if the cables were really way too long.

Also he totally failed in conveying the idea of how tiny this case is compared with commercially available popular microATX cases to the public, just placing Cerberus next to TJ08-E or 350D or Define Mini or Enthoo Evolv would give those clueless subscribers of his one of the major selling points of this case. He also spent too much time showing himself trying to take the panels off, we viewers all get it after ten seconds of him struggling so just edit the rest, after all that's his forte.

/End of rant

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian and tedlas

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
I know an unprepared presenter when I see one, and Dimitry was very much unprepared.

And of course the comments are full of the opinion that steel cases should be $8 abominations from the '90s at Goodwill. What is it with people and aluminum nowadays? I regularly service machines made from high-strength aluminum and there is not a day that goes by where I don't wish it was all made of steel.

I wonder...does Sliger work in cadloy? "Cerberus R2: Now made from tank armor."

Qrash

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2015
My guess is that many people's thinking is as follows:

Steel: heavy and rusts = old technology
Aluminum: light, no rust = spaceage technology

Oh well.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Will 2 FuryX rads fit in the front? or only in the bottom?

Both rads should fit on the front.

My offer still stands!

Noted, it'll depend on when the case gets back.

I don't suppose going back to the older prototype design where there was a swappable plate for the PSU rather than an entire back panel would save any costs from not having to manufacture two different versions, would it?

It depends on how many people want SFX-only versus ATX/both. If the majority want SFX-only then it's more expensive having a swappable plate because it's an extra part they will never remove.

Why would you have to change the design? Have you tried getting quotes yet, say on AliExpress? Is it not possible to find a manufacturer that wouldn't compromise the build quality?

I don't think the design would need much changes just to go overseas, the main problem is quality control. China is perfectly capable of making very high quality products, but it often requires regularly visiting the factory to ensure they're not cutting corners. But that's time and money we don't really have right now.

He did criticise the length of the I/O cables and the difficulty he had with removing the panels.

I think part of this is maybe we weren't clear enough that this is a prototype and we're aware of both those issues.

I know an unprepared presenter when I see one, and Dimitry was very much unprepared.

He was, but the case got delayed in shipping back from California so it was late going out to him and he has other things scheduled.

I wonder...does Sliger work in cadloy? "Cerberus R2: Now made from tank armor."

They do do stuff for the military, but I believe it's just server cases with more expensive coatings for better corrosion resistance.

I think it's more to do with the fact that aluminum is associated with quality due to companies like Apple and Lian Li using it.

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015

Steel: heavy and rusts = old technology
Aluminum: light, no rust = spaceage technology

Oh well.

Heh, the irony (pun not intended) was that stainless steel consumer goods were considered space age during the actual Space Age.

tedlas

Average Stuffer
Aug 18, 2015
but it often requires regularly visiting the factory to ensure they're not cutting corners.

Maybe you/we can find someone that can be a representative for K who is already near the factory? I think having them send samples before production and then inspecting the cases on arrival should be sufficient. Cutting corners is ok, it's just which corners are cut that matters.

TBH, i'd like to see what kinda quotes the peeps over at aliexpress have to offer. Maybe i'll talk to some of them soon.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Maybe you/we can find someone that can be a representative for K who is already near the factory?

It's an interesting idea.

TBH, i'd like to see what kinda quotes the peeps over at aliexpress have to offer. Maybe i'll talk to some of them soon.

Be sure to adjust your privacy settings immediately after registering. But you probably won't get far without a CAD model, and that's the other issue with manufacturing in China, IP theft.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Is there a reason you guys didn't go with an open mold type manufacturing?

I guess I'm not familiar with that, unless you're talking about making the case out of composites instead of steel.

tedlas

Average Stuffer
Aug 18, 2015
The Youtube comments are brutal. everyone wants fan filters, lower price (70??), and aluminum.