Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
So I test fit the Noctua C14S, Cryorig H7, and EK Predator 240 and in each instance it's like it was made for the case, they all fit with just a few mm to spare if that :D

First up is the C14S. Here I have the fan screwed to the side bracket. It looks like the fan is pressing down on the heatsink at the back but it's not, the rubber corner just hang down a bit.

Bonus test: here's the ASUS GTX 970 Strix.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but the bottom and top frame sections are removable. Good thing too because it really comes in handy for the Predator.

I forgot but the Cryorig H7 isn't compatible with socket 2011, so I just set it on top the CPU to check that it clears the side panel. Note that this is with the hinged side bracket removed.

Closeup of the above to show how close it is.

Here's the Predator mounted to the bottom. Protip, don't get the version with the quick disconnects. I tried and tried but the tubing kept kinking on either side of the QD so I wasn't able to test the performance.

The Predator 240 does fit on the front, with about 1-2mm to spare.

Routing the tubing with an ATX power supply will be tricky though since there's so little room. This is a 180mm long unit though.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The Noctua C14S will be the way to go for me then. Although I'll try out the Kabuto II that I already have first to see if it fits properly. Awesome write-up !

Hingle

What's an ITX?
New User
Mar 3, 2016

I had a few questions regarding this particular layout, as I'm planning on a build looking something like this but with a single "hybrid" style card.

1. "I would highly, highly recommend using a 120mm AIO for this type of layout. I managed to get my X41 installed but it was an extremely tight fit and the rad is touching the top video card."

Would a Corsair H90 be a better choice for a 140mm AIO? From reading the spec sheets it seems to be a few mm thinner than the X41.

2. Does using a 140mm rad prevent the use of the 2.5" SSD mounts?

3. What size is that bottom noctua fan?

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Although I'll try out the Kabuto II that I already have first to see if it fits properly.

It's smaller in every dimension than the C14S so it should fit.

Would a Corsair H90 be a better choice for a 140mm AIO?

If it's a 10.5" card like the EVGA Hybrid the slimmer rad will help, it's still a close fit but the radiator won't be pressing on the end of the video card.

Does using a 140mm rad prevent the use of the 2.5" SSD mounts?

A 140mm fan leaves ~9mm room for a 2.5" drive, most modern SSDs are 7mm so it's close but it should fit. Most AIOs are 140mm wide but aftermarket rads may not leave space.

What size is that bottom noctua fan?

That's a 120mm fan in the picture.

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
The fitment on the Predator...dang. How's clearance on the motherboard headers?

Guess I'll be doing a custom loop.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The fitment on the Predator...dang. How's clearance on the motherboard headers?

It should clear them, but just barely. The Predator seems like a nice unit but it's really not SFF friendly.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Awesome, nice find ! Amazing what they've stuffed in there and nice to see the enthusiasm !

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Any updates on the shipping?

Not yet.

Found a Newegg review, not sure if anyone knew about this yet?

Haha, we're going to be posting an update soon with it. The same guy also wrote this: http://unlocked.newegg.com/build-kimera-cerberus-gigabyte-sli-980-ti/

Does a Kraken x61 fit in the bottom?

The problem is the width, with regular thickness fans it'll interfere with the motherboard. With slim fans it may work but it'll be extremely close.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Any updates on the shipping? ^^

We're pretty close to having final numbers! We've got a few possible fulfillment places on deck, and we're waiting on final quotes from everyone.

EDIT: http://unlocked.newegg.com/kimera-cerberus-review-smallest-sli-vr-ready-case-in-the-world/

Found a Newegg review, not sure if anyone knew about this yet?

Awesome, nice find ! Amazing what they've stuffed in there and nice to see the enthusiasm !

Fantastic review, posted it on reddit in a couple places :D

I'll be sharing that on Kickstarter soon, but yes, the folks at Newegg were able to get some quality time with Cerberus and really made the most of it :) Excellent photos too!

I'm just hoping that it stirs up a little extra interest. I'm going to quite upset if the funding fails.

Don't be! We'll be bummed, for sure, but it isn't as if we disappear from the face of the earth if we don't make our goal.

We'll have to revisit our options and find a different way to do production, obviously, in order to make it viable. But we've already learned a lot from working on this, the least of which being how much support we have from you all, and even from people who aren't interested in the enclosure from themselves (which we're incredibly grateful for, by the way) :thumb:

tedlas

Average Stuffer
Aug 18, 2015
I really like your current prototype, with the rear replacable atx/sfx panel. How much extra does it cost to add that feature to each one? That way, you only have to deal with the handles and the side panels.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I really like your current prototype, with the rear replacable atx/sfx panel. How much extra does it cost to add that feature to each one? That way, you only have to deal with the handles and the side panels.

I can't give you an exact number, but not an insignificant amount. It's cheaper to do it the way we're offering in the Kickstarter, to the point where providing that bracket meant either raising the price for everyone a little, or for ATX folks even more.

jsco

Average Stuffer
Feb 2, 2016
great review. hope it stirs up some interest! i want my cerberus!

funny how they flipped the side panel in their 2x980ti build. i guess that's not a bad idea when you're running an ATX supply and massive non-blower GPUs.

also, i completely agree with the caselabs comparison. this would look right at home in their lineup, if they decided to start using the min() function instead of max().

tedlas

Average Stuffer
Aug 18, 2015
Why is the exterior panel that covers the back of the motherboard perforated? Can't you just leave it solid and save on machine-time?

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Why is the exterior panel that covers the back of the motherboard perforated? Can't you just leave it solid and save on machine-time?

It was done to keep it symmetric but the production version has a solid back panel to save money.

Reactions: tedlas