Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Invisible

Case Bender
Aug 17, 2017
Hello All,

I just recieved my ceberus X in the Netherlands and its great.
I am wondering of my Kraken X52 will fit with the ATX setup on the hinge part.
the kraken Cpu cooler is around 55mm heigh.
I hope some one can help me with my question?
thanks in advance

capt_rusty

Efficiency Noob
Nov 23, 2017
Hello All,

thanks in advance

The CPU clearance if using a rear mount ATX psu is 48 mm, the X52 water block is too tall (found that out after purchasing it..). BTW, most dimensions and clearances are listed under the "Specifications" section of the product page.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Hello All,

thanks in advance
Yes cpu cooler height while atx psu is too small.
Also, you something 40cm of tubing...if it’s the case with kraken, then just switch to sfx-l psu..:)

nemotron

Chassis Packer
Oct 29, 2017
So I tried to see if I could use the rubber pins that comes w/ Noctua P12 fans to mount some to the top of the case. Sadly not possible. Really looking forward to some top mounted fan options.

@MarcParis Were you ever able to have a top mounted fan w/ your build when you had a C14s w/ dual fans? I'm looking at your build log and can't find a photo w/ the top mounted fan there.

Dharwin

Cable Smoosher
Nov 19, 2017
Just got my build done last night and I'm so pleased with the size.

It took a lot of convincing to get the X over the regular Cerberus but now that I have it, I'm so pleased. The X is smaller than any of the micro towers I considered. I may end up with regular Cerberus down the line as a LAN build but for now, I couldn't be happier.

Need to thank everyone who posted on these forums. Taught me about how to remove the panels correctly, which screws go where, and how everything generally fit together.

The back panel piece which goes over the expansion slots arrive 2 days later in the mail without having to contact anyone.

My only issue was two of the screws. I had two screw heads become near-stripped without any serious twisting. I also had one of the PSU bracket screws just shear in half inside the hole while doing a test fit, just screwing it in once outside the case to remove any extra powder coat. I know it's the right screw because three others fit. I'll have to drill that one out eventually and replace it. Also had some issues with the screws for the rear PSU cable mount.

Everything else was wonderful. Alignments were good, no visible scratching or denting, and the build runs at same temps as previously in the old case.

Overall, very happy.

Now the only question is if I want to plug the light into the power indicator, get a steady white ring, or the HDD activity and watch it flicker...

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
Just got my build done last night and I'm so pleased with the size.

It took a lot of convincing to get the X over the regular Cerberus but now that I have it, I'm so pleased. The X is smaller than any of the micro towers I considered. I may end up with regular Cerberus down the line as a LAN build but for now, I couldn't be happier.

Need to thank everyone who posted on these forums. Taught me about how to remove the panels correctly, which screws go where, and how everything generally fit together.

The back panel piece which goes over the expansion slots arrive 2 days later in the mail without having to contact anyone.

My only issue was two of the screws. I had two screw heads become near-stripped without any serious twisting. I also had one of the PSU bracket screws just shear in half inside the hole while doing a test fit, just screwing it in once outside the case to remove any extra powder coat. I know it's the right screw because three others fit. I'll have to drill that one out eventually and replace it. Also had some issues with the screws for the rear PSU cable mount.

Everything else was wonderful. Alignments were good, no visible scratching or denting, and the build runs at same temps as previously in the old case.

Overall, very happy.

Now the only question is if I want to plug the light into the power indicator, get a steady white ring, or the HDD activity and watch it flicker...
Pics or it didn't happen.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
So I tried to see if I could use the rubber pins that comes w/ Noctua P12 fans to mount some to the top of the case. Sadly not possible. Really looking forward to some top mounted fan options.

@MarcParis Were you ever able to have a top mounted fan w/ your build when you had a C14s w/ dual fans? I'm looking at your build log and can't find a photo w/ the top mounted fan there.
Sure, i was able to put top slim 120 fan with dual fan noctua c14s..:)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Casekings/Overclockers won't write me back, sent several emails.

If some EU Cerberus-enthusiasts could get them to know people are looking for this case that may push them to write back.

You could also go for french reseller, like ldlc.com (they are also doing clevo barebone integration)

Reactions: Biowarejak

Dharwin

Cable Smoosher
Nov 19, 2017
Any idea of these vertical GPU brackets would work in the X?

https://mnpctech.com/gpu-support-bracket/#/category/534

I'm considering the Zotac GTX 1080 Ti ArticStorm.

I'm not I understand your question. You linked GPU support brackets. The GPU is mounted horizontally, facing the bottom of the case. These brackets fit into the two PCIe expansion slots below the GPU to physically support and hold the GPU up. They will fit and could be useful if you have card the sags or bends.

If you're talking about an actual vertical mounted GPU you'd want some of these parts. There is a space above the PCIe slots where it looks like you could drill holes to install a vertical GPU mount. Is that what you mean?

Reactions: Biowarejak

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016

I'm considering the Zotac GTX 1080 Ti ArticStorm.

Are you watercooling the CPU as well? It'd definitely occupy the space above the CPU if you mount it vertically to the bottom face

EDIT: if you meant the vent in the rear above the IO shield then you might have problems, because it's a 92mm fan mount (the adapter's 120mm), and also you might interfere with the front-mounted PSU

Last edited:

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
There was a person that bought a case and mentioned they were missing one ballstud on their side panel, if that's you please PM me I want to get that out to you.

Tons of support/order/misc requests, sorry if responses are slow. Getting a ticketing system and support person for new year.

Anthony

Average Stuffer
Dec 5, 2015
Are you watercooling the CPU as well? It'd definitely occupy the space above the CPU if you mount it vertically to the bottom face

EDIT: if you meant the vent in the rear above the IO shield then you might have problems, because it's a 92mm fan mount (the adapter's 120mm), and also you might interfere with the front-mounted PSU

Oh yes, I'm planning a full custom loop. I'm willing to mount it anywhere it fits inside the chassis

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
You should do fine on the bottom face vertically. Not sure if you’d like an upside-down gpu, but there’s mountable space at the lower-front as well.

240mm rads? or how many of which in total?

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
okay the inside height should more than clear a vertical mount from the bottom (and then 280mm rad at the front)

but for the horizontal option, the inside length won't be able to clear if you're using the stage-2 standoffs
  • inside length of CX is 329mm
  • stage 2 mount is 58mm + Zotac 1080ti arcticstorm is 300mm (not sure if it includes that PCI flange on top)
    • totalling 358mm (-10mm ish for said flange, but I still doubt it'd clear)
if you're not using the standoffs and want the upside-down horizontal mounting (with the rad staying put at the bottom) then be prepared to cut the front vents. you might need right-angle cable adapters for the HDMI and DP connections as well

EDIT: I haven't considered PSU placement yet, and I'm starting to think there might be placement issues if you're using a full ATX PSU in the bottom vertical setup...

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
I just wanted to chime in and say that I could NOT get my vertical mounting solution (requires dremel modding) to fit with a 240MM rad at the bottom. Even if I somehow could, the FTW3's increased height would have likely collided with the ATX PSU in the Cerberus-X (pic).

That was originally my plan but the height of the rad+fans proved too tall, so unfortunately I had to gave it away to a friend's relocation project instead.

Now, had I gone with a standard size GPU like the 1080ti Black with a 240/280MM rad mounted to the front the case, I think that a vertical GPU mounting solution would have worked flawlessly.

Reactions: VegetableStu

Johnny0971

Caliper Novice
Dec 19, 2017
Hi everyone,

I have ordered and received a red Cerberus X and I'm currently planning my build.

Case itself is everything I hoped for, the quality is really good and it looks great! : ) Some panels are a bit stiff to take off but other than that nothing.

For specs I'm going to house a X399 Threadripper system with a RX Vega 64 card, and that is about how far I gotten : )

The motherboard I got is a X399 Gigabyte Designare EX, I also got the Enermax Liqtech 240 TR4 for cooling, all other parts are still subject for change, so any input is welcome.

I have seen the pictures of @3lfk1ng build, and while I'm going for the same orientation for the radiator, I still got some questions.

The GPU I'm hopingto buy is the Sapphire RX Vega 64 Nitro+, and it is 310mm long, will I have space for intake fans in front of the case with this GPU?

Will there be space for the Enermax AIO tubing with this large GPU?

I've been looking at the pictures for quite some time : P I can't figure out any space for 2,5 or 3,5 inch drives anywhere, is it possible or is it too crammed?

Would be thankful for any replies or ideas, expensive stuffs to buy so I rather not order and then realize they don't fit togheter : P

Thanks!

Last edited: