Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

TheInternal

Trash Compacter
May 27, 2016
It's been a bummer that the SFF friendly cases for micro and full size ATX boards with 2-way SLI / crossfire full-size GPUs have continued to not be readily available. I've been trying to find one to buy for about a year now... I love the idea of the Cerberus X, and would happily give ten hours worth of my wages to such a case right now. I'm literally looking for another case right now (one for an ATX case, the other for an E-ATX motherboard I got on the cheap).

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
This is really great! Probably one of my favorite builds I've seen yet.
You know, when modern cases are mostly oriented in TG, RGB, or to show graphic card with riser...it's refreshing to have a case that is very compact, nice looking, full of functions, modular and effective in cooling...:)
Gamers nexus is making same status on case industry, especially as most of companies are afraid of tooling and reality of case market is quite simple : you need to sell thousands of cases with a max budget of around 100$.

Pyrath

Average Stuffer
Feb 5, 2016
@PlayfulPhoenix @Aibohphobia

I'm not sure how to phrase this without sounding like an entitled twat... what's going on, guys? I know Aiboh is newly very busy and 'disheartened by the lack of mATX boards', and real life takes precedence over a passion project... BUT! - No news for months and Aiboh hasn't made a peep in six weeks. By the norms of this subforum this project can be considered 'stalled'.

I didn't spring for the pre-preproduction run because up until that point the two of you were very active / excited, and I considered the preproduction / main prod run to be an inevitability. Since then, though, communication has entirely dried up. I'm starting to get antsy!

You've got a decent sized base of users held hostage by the unfulfilled niche that Cerberus / Cerberus-X carves out, but others are catching up. I don't want to have to settle for something else. Got any crumbs for me?

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
Let me set the scene:
MarcParis has just taken the last spot on the life-boat, then proclaims what is above. :-p

Lol i love your analysis

Or in my case (heh), I got on the lifeboat only to find that because the benches weren't square, the bag of emergency rations didn't fit in the designated compartment.

So I had to get back out, none the worse save for wounded pride. Fortunately I was picked up by another vessel. Unfortunately said vessel is cavernous.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Hello all,

I just posted an update to the community, but wanted to re-post this portion of it since it pertains to KI as well.

Lastly, I wanted to give the community an update regarding James (@Aibohphobia). A while ago, James let us know that he needed to take some time away from his day-to-day work with Minutiae, in order to put his attention towards some health issues he's encountered. We've been entirely supportive of him taking this time for himself, and have consequently been putting most of our own efforts into backfilling his responsibilities.

To be honest, that process of filling in for him remains ongoing - simply put, James has done a lot to support Minutiae's operations, all while consistently remaining one of the most engaged community members on the forum. He's got some big shoes to fill. Furthermore, we aren't yet sure when James will be back and fully active around here, though we remain in contact and have respected his privacy during this time.

During James's absence, we will be doing a few things differently. Most of these will be operational concerns that take place behind the scenes, but the primary item of note is that we will be putting Low Volume on hiatus. We can't imagine Low Volume without him, and while we may do other podcast-y things in the interim, they won't fall under the Low Volume banner. Once James is back in action, we will resume the show on the same cadence as before.

I'll make sure to keep you all posted as to James's status, but know that we've been missing him a lot - there are many people in this community that are stewards of our hobby, but James stands out as one of the most impactful. I have a lot of respect and admiration for his contributions, and of himself as a person; I know many of you all do as well.

-

On a personal note, I am honestly crushed about this. I've worked with James for several years now, and building Cerberus and KI with him has been a visceral joy and absolute privilege thus far. Although I do not know much (certainly not any specifics) beyond that update, it has been tough to just know that he's not well, and to try to support both KI and Minutiae without him. KI and Minutiae just aren't what they are without him. I took for granted the ability to hop on Slack and converse and work with him, and I miss it.

More tactically, I hope this explains the quietness from us as of late. Looking back, I wish I had spoken to this sooner to you all, but balancing privacy, disclosure and productivity with this has been very challenging. I'm trying to make the best of this at this point for everyone.

-

Needless to say, James's absence from day-to-day work does impact Cerberus and KI, but I want to share some updates regarding what I've been up to:
  • I have been in active discussions with Sliger to get final design changes committed and a subsequent manufacturing run started.
  • I have been in communication with some business customers that are interested in placing orders of Cerberus or Cerberus X.
  • Once the above have been finalized, I will share details about the design changes, availability, and pricing.
  • I will provide weekly updates at a minimum to the above.
In a strange way, this has accelerated our manufacturing schedule insofar that the avenues and opportunities open to Cerberus are now narrowed down to a few well-defined paths. I'm feeling optimistic about having concrete dates and figures for you all in a timescale of weeks rather than months, and Sliger is eager to build enclosures. There is work to be done, though.

If anyone has any questions or thoughts, feel free to express them here or to me directly and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.