Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Pyrath

Average Stuffer
Feb 5, 2016
I hadn't thought about the integrity of the glass after multiple times being removed. I had though about having larger holes cut and these PEM broad studs installed with rubber O rings on the ticker piece. Or something like the Thermaltake Core P series.
So long as you've got sufficiently thick neoprene/nitrile or even HDPE washers between the metal hardware and glass it should be okay. I was considering going the Tharmaltake Core P direction as well; it will provide additional depth to the case which will alleviate a lot of the anxiety about certain gpu waterblocks. I can't seem to find that style of fastener in a small enough diameter though...

artemis

Chassis Packer
Jun 7, 2016
Guys, is a 400W 33A SFX enough for 4690k 4.4ghz 1.19V + GTX 1070 OC?
I'm currently running the 1060 OC and the PSU got a pretty warm and a bit loud already
it's this one
AFAIK this is a pretty decent PSU and 400w should be enough for even a stock 1080ti seeing how you guys running 1070s with HDPLEX 300W

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
400w should work for core i5 oc+gtx 1070, however it will be loud.

After on cerberus/cerberus-x, it's very important to put a fan on front panel, just below sfx psu, in order to push all hot air coming from psu to back of case. Based on my cerberus-x, this is very important in order to avoid heating ambiant air of sfx psu.

billango

Minimal Tinkerer
May 31, 2017
Hello. I was just wondering about the advantages/disadvantages of using an SFX PSU and a side bracket mounted CPU cooler vs having an ATX PSU on the side bracket and fitting a 240 rad on the front? It seems that the ladder option is better in terms of power and cooling intuitively. Anything I am missing? Thanks !

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Well I disagree that ATX psu is better for Cerberus.
  1. With ATX psu, you will a small clearance for cpu waterblock height (48mm) that limits AIO choice
  2. With ATX psu, you will face TOO LONG cable to handle inside Cerberus. That will lead directly to customed cable (doable but expensive)
  3. In cerberus (not cerberus-X) you could have also 240mm radiator compatiblity issues with height of front panel
To sum up, ATX psu is doable but you truly need to justify it as current SFX are delivering easily up to 600W or even 800W in SFX-L.

In terms of thermal, best solution I've test on my cerberus-X is a front monted SFX psu with a 140mm fan below it in order to push all hot air coming from GPU to back of the case.

Reactions: Phuncz

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
This is the main problem, the height clearance is really tight.
Its insanely tight. I've tried it. Checking my album I don't have the photo but the AIO hoses put more pressure on the back of the ATX PSU than I was comfortable with as it contorted the bracket at the rear of the case. Your mileage may vary with a different hose config but regardless of how the CPU block is rotated it will probably interfere regardless of hose type.

I picked up an SFX to ATX PSU mount to solve that problem.

Apologies for lack of exact measurements.

Last edited:

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
Thanks.

Well, if it's true that AMD is going to be selling a custom AIO dual radiator solution separately (to cool Threadripper), then I think a rear PSU orientation might be the only way to go for those that plan to run Crossfire/SLI.

Last edited:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Asking for a friend: Will the Cerberus-X support EATX Threadripper motherboards like the ROG Zenith Extreme?

Maybe not with front mounted SFX, but it'll definitely fit.

A side mounted SFX psu with a 240 rad in the front should work alright though? Do most 240s fit in the front alright? or are there a couple youd recommend?

As long as it's the size of typical 240mm AIOs and not like the EK Predator it should fit on the front with a rear mounted SFX PSU.