Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Arctic Freezer 50 TR, with modifications (stripped all plastic from the cooler, gave the top of the heatpipes some concussive therapy to shorten them by 2mm, bent some of the fins on the sides just enough to allow for some fan clips from the Cryorig H7 to clip on with two 120mm fans)
Custom CPU air cooler..;) nice!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update 22nd December 2020 : Taming RTX 3090 FE part II, upgrade!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(It's just a sum up, please check link above to have more details)

Based on my last experiments, I decided to try again 92mm rear AIO.

Thus I tried Asetek 645 LT...I powered it on outside the case to check & shake it..:) Shaking proved to HUGE benefit as I heard air bubbles moving from cpu block to built-in reservoir (included on radiator)...at my BIG (& pleasant) surprise 645LT pump noise (I was reporting previously) is no longer a issue.

Here is final result :

Issue with 645LT is that side bracket rivets (back side) are bumping into radiator, by default (you can see on previous photos scratches of paint on 645LT radiator). Side panel is not fitting.

Thus I decided to file all 4 rivets back side.

With this small mod, I was able to put back side bracket with no issue!

Best news with this mod is thermal & noise results :
  • RTX 3090 FE is sitting 95% of time at around 1300rpm @67°C in benchmark passage (chap 1 hive buster Gears 5)
  • R7 3800X OC 4.3Ghz & RAM @3800MTS : CPU is clearly in the sixties °C!

On top, here is updated pure CPU cooling benchmark :
  • Overclocked R7 3800X 4.3Ghz @1.3125v RAM @ 3800MTS (Asetek 645LT Intake, Side Exhaust) :
    • IBT 2.54 Very High : 915.72sec
    • Max temperature : 78.9°C
    • Max CPU Package Power : 120.03W
  • Overclocked R7 3800X 4.3Ghz @1.3125v RAM @ 3800MTS (Noctua C14S Push/Pull Intake) :
    • IBT 2.54 Very High : 915.80sec
    • Cinebench R20 (multi) : 5120
    • Max temperature : 73.9°C
    • Max CPU Package Power : 119.23W
  • Overclocked R7 3800X 4.3Ghz @1.3125v RAM @ 3800MTS (customed 92mm watercooling, push/pull) :
    • IBT 2.54 Very High : 917.12sec
    • Max temperature : 79.5°C
    • Max CPU Package Power : 118.33W

Asetek 645LT is not beating "Intake" C14S...obviously...but it's only 5°C hotter vs overclocked R7 3800X! (I did run 2 times IBT VH profil twice to make it sure)
As annoying pump noise is today removed (thanks to gentle shaking while powered on), I have to declare this setup as best gaming setup for Cerberus case, providing best GPU cooling (almost as if it was on open bench table with RTX 3090FE & strong CPU cooling either under gaming load or pure processing!

PS : Screenshot of IBT 2.54 VH test :

• Love
Reactions: sn0man

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Sooo... 645LT beats C14s?
Well it depends...:)
For GPU cooling, yes, 645LT is beating C14s inside cerberus-X

For CPU cooling, C14s is beating 645LT only while used as intake (but this is worst case for GPU cooling). C14s as exhaust is worst on cpu cooling but good for gpu cooling.

brownelvis

Trash Compacter
Jun 5, 2019
Well it depends...:)
For GPU cooling, yes, 645LT is beating C14s inside cerberus-X

For CPU cooling, C14s is beating 645LT only while used as intake (but this is worst case for GPU cooling). C14s as exhaust is worst on cpu cooling but good for gpu cooling.
I am getting ok performance from CPU and GPU now with C14s as intake, i removed the rear 92mm exhaust fan and placed it on top of the GPU jut below the C14s, that clears out the pocket of hot air that sits there and forces it out of the top exhaust (i have a nf-a12x15 there). i still might try with an AIO to see if i can make it work, either 120mm in the front intake or 240mm on the top exhaust with no cover

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I am getting ok performance from CPU and GPU now with C14s as intake, i removed the rear 92mm exhaust fan and placed it on top of the GPU jut below the C14s, that clears out the pocket of hot air that sits there and forces it out of the top exhaust (i have a nf-a12x15 there). i still might try with an AIO to see if i can make it work, either 120mm in the front intake or 240mm on the top exhaust with no cover
In my case, I always used C14S with Dual fan (either exhaust or intake..:)). While using C14S, Rear fan is mostly useless..:)

For AIO, definitely Front 120mm/140mm intake with Rear SFX PSU & side exhaust should work really fine.
Top 240AIO in exhaust should be difficult to do (doable with mod) and result, in game, should be average as "fresh" air will come from exhausted hot air from GPU..:)

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
Checked back through the last several pages I'd missed to see if anyone had tried it yet. I found some time and installed the Iceman NCASE M1 DDC Pump/Res unit to the back of the mATX Cerberus. Very pleased with the result.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Checked back through the last several pages I'd missed to see if anyone had tried it yet. I found some time and installed the Iceman NCASE M1 DDC Pump/Res unit to the back of the mATX Cerberus. Very pleased with the result.

nice to share it again to Cerberus community..;)

This external DDC/Reservoir Iceman is very convenient to watercool everything inside Cerberus..:)

What about noise or vibration?

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
nice to share it again to Cerberus community..;)

This external DDC/Reservoir Iceman is very convenient to watercool everything inside Cerberus..:)

What about noise or vibration?
Its not as quite as a D5 that's for sure, which I knew moving to a DDC unit, but without having the prior experience to rely on its difficult to gauge.

It does come with vibration pads for the screws but I didn't install them and I haven't heard any vibration noise using the EK 3.2 DDC PWM.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Its not as quite as a D5 that's for sure, which I knew moving to a DDC unit, but without having the prior experience to rely on its difficult to gauge.

It does come with vibration pads for the screws but I didn't install them and I haven't heard any vibration noise using the EK 3.2 DDC PWM.
thanks for your feedback!

sn0man

Trash Compacter
Jan 10, 2020
What is IBT?

IBT 2.54 Very High and Cinebench R20 (multi) free? I was considering doing a before/after on temps when I change my CPU cooler in the next few days.

sn0man

Trash Compacter
Jan 10, 2020
(It's just a sum up, please check link above to have more details)
Thanks as Always @MarcParis for your thorough tests.

I presume that a 3080 FE is same length as a 3090FE. Would a front NFA12 fan fit in the front of the case for helping to vent the hot air off the GPU? Looks like it might be a little long.

Also what is IBT 2.54?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
What is IBT?

IBT 2.54 Very High and Cinebench R20 (multi) free? I was considering doing a before/after on temps when I change my CPU cooler in the next few days.
IBT is Intel Burn Test. Quite useful tool to test CPU & RAM overclock stability. Used it since a couple of years and proved to be very good to test both CPU & RAM stability.
I used it also for comparing CPU coolers but you need to store also total time required to finish IBT 2.54 Very High (to make sure CPU is working as expected)

Thanks as Always @MarcParis for your thorough tests.

I presume that a 3080 FE is same length as a 3090FE. Would a front NFA12 fan fit in the front of the case for helping to vent the hot air off the GPU? Looks like it might be a little long.

Also what is IBT 2.54?

No. RTX 3080 FE is way smaller (2 slots, 285mm long) than RTX 3090 (3 slots, 313mm long). By the way, no place to front fan with RTX 3090 (possible with RTX 3080)...on top of that, I don't recommend to use longer GPU than 313mm in Cerberus...as it could be impossible to fit inside (there is a narrow passage just above GPU location).

kecoal2

Caliper Novice
May 6, 2018
Doing a bit of an update to my build. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on sleeving? I am going to be sleeving 1 24 pin connector and 3x8 pin PCIE ones. Should I go purchase out from moddiy and use their pre sleeved cables or do it myself? Just curious on people's thoughts here.

Also what should be the optimal measurements for these cables if my ATX PSU is mounted above the CPU?

media7788

Case Bender
New User
Jan 13, 2021
My question/post is about another variety. I recently ordered a Cerberus and while they sent an order confirmation, it's been 2 weeks and I haven't heard anything from them. I've requested some info/clarification from their sales email/support twice, but I've yet to receive any type of reply. Is this company still alive?

media7788

Case Bender
New User
Jan 13, 2021
Yeah, theyre active on reddit. Seems like they got tons of order and trying to fulfill em asap

Shouldn't they at least answer back email/support queries though? Is there any alternate way to contact them besides email and phone (which I've also tried, but nobody answers).

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Don't worry too much and just be a little bit patint. Sliger is right now overbusy (success consequence..:)).

I'm expecting to receive my CL530 something 2 months after order.

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Back from Xmas and have my Cerberus X! I did a quick test build and discovered I'd made a few mistakes but nothing too serious. I'll post a pic once I get it tidied up a bit.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an 80mm exhaust fan? My knowledge is way out of date on those.

FInally, if you're looking for a bag to carry your Cerberus X system, these worked as an international carry on and are dirt cheap.
The old product page shows it is no longer available, but I found a new product page here:

Amazon.com | Foldable Travel Duffel Bag 26L Lightweight, Water Repellent & Tear Resistant Travel Luggage Bag by INVODA (Black) | Travel Duffels