Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

integer

Trash Compacter
Aug 29, 2019
I went with Cerberus but was so conflicted about whether to go with X. Anyone committed one way then switched later?

Upcoming build is 5950x/rtx 3080/sf750/x570 pro4 matx, and if I can make it a 4x4x4x4x quad WD sn850 nvme array.

Cerberus X seems like the way to go cos you have more options, but also don't mind a challenge, and want to maybe be able to fly with it. So space is a concern. Hoping it will fit in large carryon.

sn0man

Trash Compacter
Jan 10, 2020
I went with Cerberus but was so conflicted about whether to go with X. Anyone committed one way then switched later?

Upcoming build is 5950x/rtx 3080/sf750/x570 pro4 matx, and if I can make it a 4x4x4x4x quad WD sn850 nvme array.

Cerberus X seems like the way to go cos you have more options, but also don't mind a challenge, and want to maybe be able to fly with it. So space is a concern. Hoping it will fit in large carryon.
I was going to recommend X for you all the way up until you mentioned flying. If space is a premium for travel, also go smaller if you can. There are so many ITX/DTX (and a few MATX) for AMD that you're basically fine with the non-X to me. You might want to confirm compatibility before you dive in.

I have an X, and for my second build I was considering a non X just to have something different.

Reactions: integer

TLN

Average Stuffer
Mar 9, 2020
Kinda conflicted which AIO to go for in this case. It will be a fairly dense build, 3080 + 5950x and quad nvme AIC card so space gonna be limited.
Why quad nvme aic card? You can get single server nvme that will get similar performance for way less. Im assuming you're looking at 5+Tb and $1k

sn0man

Trash Compacter
Jan 10, 2020
Recommendations for an SFX or SFX-L that would work in a Cerberus X and also handle an RTX 3080 or 6800XT graphics card?

Notes:
1. I'm not sure an SFX-L would work with a 3080.
2. I would also like some headroom for a future CPU upgrade. I've got a 3600x right now, but am considering a 5800x in the future or even something that might draw more power.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Recommendations for an SFX or SFX-L that would work in a Cerberus X and also handle an RTX 3080 or 6800XT graphics card?

Notes:
1. I'm not sure an SFX-L would work with a 3080.
2. I would also like some headroom for a future CPU upgrade. I've got a 3600x right now, but am considering a 5800x in the future or even something that might draw more power.
Well SFX & SFX-L are all good for those GPU & CPU.

SFX is up to 850w with Cooler Master V850 SFX.
SFX 750W platinum from Corsair/Silverstone are plenty enough also

TLN

Average Stuffer
Mar 9, 2020
Considering Cerberus X for my workstation. What is the best way to cool and overclock 10700k there? Will likely go with sff power supply, so I have some flexibility there.
280AIO on the bottom? (It doesn't fit on the front panel?)
240 AIO on front or bottom?
or go with provel solition like C14s (any alternatives?)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Considering Cerberus X for my workstation. What is the best way to cool and overclock 10700k there? Will likely go with sff power supply, so I have some flexibility there.
280AIO on the bottom? (It doesn't fit on the front panel?)
240 AIO on front or bottom?
or go with provel solition like C14s (any alternatives?)
What is your GPU size & workload?

Depending on your answers :
  • GPU is power hungry and need as much as possible cooling : go for Noctua C14S (side intake) or Rear intake 92mm AIO (best if you have windowed panel)
  • GPU is secondary contributor, CPU is the key : Go for AIO. Front Radiator if GPU length is compatible, otherwise go bottom radiator (+10°C on GPU as AIO will inject hot air inside case)

Last edited:

integer

Trash Compacter
Aug 29, 2019
Why quad nvme aic card? You can get single server nvme that will get similar performance for way less. Im assuming you're looking at 5+Tb and $1k

" single server nvme" - not sure I understand that phrase.

Quad nvme should be able to get close to 4x performance. I'm hoping for a 25000MB/s on seq read on Crystalmark. The Sn850 has a read of 7000MB/s and 5000MB/s write. Utter insansnity, and I want to dial it up to the max cos why not.

Also 4 nvme's feeding zfs will produce better latencies for vm's with multiple random 4k r/w's than a single drive.

Short of optane it should be the fastest possible storage layer. I could go NVME of Fabrics, or ROCE or something else, but this is more of a workstation build than homelab, and need it portable.

TLN

Average Stuffer
Mar 9, 2020
" single server nvme" - not sure I understand that phrase.

Quad nvme should be able to get close to 4x performance. I'm hoping for a 25000MB/s on seq read on Crystalmark. The Sn850 has a read of 7000MB/s and 5000MB/s write. Utter insansnity, and I want to dial it up to the max cos why not.

Also 4 nvme's feeding zfs will produce better latencies for vm's with multiple random 4k r/w's than a single drive.

Short of optane it should be the fastest possible storage layer. I could go NVME of Fabrics, or ROCE or something else, but this is more of a workstation build than homelab, and need it portable.
I was thinking about fast enterprise (hense server) NVME like Intel P4800 or Samsung PM1725. I'm running latter in my homelab and it gets me 6000MB in crystaldisk mark. Perfect for VM and general use. Drive was designed for highload databases and such. It's PCIe 3.0 x4, but bandwidth is the same as PCIe 4.0 x4
Here's performace tested within VM:
I've tried to make mdadm with pair of PM1725 3.2Tb drives and it ended bit above 10000MB/s, clearly less then double. I was using older Xeon CPUs, so that might be the reason.
Here's post that I googled that sounds like what you're after: says 15000MB/s with four drives.
I'm all in for overkill builds, but 25000MB/s seems a bit too high.

Reactions: integer

SecretImbecile

Case Bender
New User
Nov 25, 2020
Hi, I'm considering upgrading my current case to the Sliger Cerberus. I'd like to hear your opinions on my planned airflow for an air-cooled system.

My current system includes the following cooling components:
  • Noctua NH-U9S Cooler
  • 2x Noctua NF-A14 fans
My idea would be to make use of the fans I already have along with adding a pair of slim 120mm fans in the top to create a bottom-to-top airflow in the case. My concern there is that my graphics card (a fairly typically sized 2070s) might block the airflow towards to CPU cooler What are your opinions on how this configuration would fare? I'd ideally want to use the solid side panel on the Cerberus, that's just an aesthetic preference.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Hi, I'm considering upgrading my current case to the Sliger Cerberus. I'd like to hear your opinions on my planned airflow for an air-cooled system.

My current system includes the following cooling components:
  • Noctua NH-U9S Cooler
  • 2x Noctua NF-A14 fans
My idea would be to make use of the fans I already have along with adding a pair of slim 120mm fans in the top to create a bottom-to-top airflow in the case. My concern there is that my graphics card (a fairly typically sized 2070s) might block the airflow towards to CPU cooler What are your opinions on how this configuration would fare? I'd ideally want to use the solid side panel on the Cerberus, that's just an aesthetic preference.
Would you have a photo or more details?
2xnoctua fan are at bottom? Front?

Do you have side vented or window panel?

Standard schema with U9S and Cerberus is the following :
  • Rear 92mm INtake
  • U9S towards front PSU
  • Top 120 slim EXhaust
  • 2x120/140 fans at bottom for GPU cooling

SecretImbecile

Case Bender
New User
Nov 25, 2020
Would you have a photo or more details?
2xnoctua fan are at bottom? Front?

Do you have side vented or window panel?

Standard schema with U9S and Cerberus is the following :
  • Rear 92mm INtake
  • U9S towards front PSU
  • Top 120 slim EXhaust
  • 2x120/140 fans at bottom for GPU cooling

Thanks for the response. I haven't purchased the case yet, but I was hoping to go with the solid side panel, as that best suits the look I want.

Yeah, 140mm fans would be at the bottom of the case. Forgive the roughness, but here's a drawing of what I was proposed in my last post:

• 2x 140 mm intake in bottom (Blue)
  • 2x 120 mm slim exhaust in top (Red)
  • NH-U9S in whichever orientation (Green)
  • GPU (Yellow)
But I see how doing a 92 mm intake in the rear could work well for the CPU. Would it perhaps be sufficient to orient the CPU cooler in the way you suggested, rather than adding an additional fan? Or do you think swapping out one of the 120 mm exhausts with the additional intake be a better idea?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Apparently Sliger is sneaking in some new designs.

Thanks for the response. I haven't purchased the case yet, but I was hoping to go with the solid side panel, as that best suits the look I want.

Yeah, 140mm fans would be at the bottom of the case. Forgive the roughness, but here's a drawing of what I was proposed in my last post:

• 2x 140 mm intake in bottom (Blue)
  • 2x 120 mm slim exhaust in top (Red)
  • NH-U9S in whichever orientation (Green)
  • GPU (Yellow)
But I see how doing a 92 mm intake in the rear could work well for the CPU. Would it perhaps be sufficient to orient the CPU cooler in the way you suggested, rather than adding an additional fan? Or do you think swapping out one of the 120 mm exhausts with the additional intake be a better idea?
SecretImbecile
Double 140 intake on bottom, 92 intake on the rear plus double exhaust on top sounds good to me.
Yes we agree.
Only point I’m not 100% sure is about top dual fans as I didn’t manage to put it in place in my Cerberus-x (mostly because it’s a pre-production version).
Anyway even going with middle single fan is working just fine

testUser001

Case Bender
New User
Nov 23, 2020
Is there any way I could get the 3d model y'all use in the documentation? I would like to build in the Cerberus X, but need to see what parts I could fit in it before going all in. This would save me the time and possibly mistakes from modeling it myself.

testUser001

Case Bender
New User
Nov 23, 2020
Not seeing an edit button, but I saw your BF reddit post and went ahead and bought the X. I would still like to have a 3d model so I could plan ahead.