Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Anthony

Average Stuffer
Dec 5, 2015
How likely is it for the prototypes to have defects that would affect their functionality? Eg. Motherboard offsets aren't correctly aligned, not enough space for a particular part that should fit, etc.

For the steel panels, would they only be available during the prototype stage or would I still be able to order those during general production? Windowed?

Would bare metal chassis require powder coating asap? Just simple corrosion prevention correct?

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
How likely is it for the prototypes to have deflects that would affect their functionality? Eg. Motherboard offsets aren't correctly aligned, not enough space for a particular part that should fit, etc.

Anything that major is unlikely since I don't have any issues like that with my prototype and there hasn't been any big changes to the basic layout.

For the steel panels, would they only be available during the prototype stage or would I still be able to order those during general production?

I guess I should make the survey more clear, the frame is steel, the panels are aluminum, steel panels will not be offered either for the prototypes or production. It sucks but we have to limit the options to keep the total number of variations to a sane number to streamline production and logistics.

Windowed?

The partial window that's been pictured up to now will be available for both prototype and production. Same for the handle.

Would bare metal chassis require powder coating asap? Just simple corrosion prevention correct?

Just the panels would be available bare. Since they're aluminum they don't have to be coated.

Will it be possible to get more than one 3.5 bracket?

We'll probably limit the number of 3.5" brackets to two. The question is more for us to get an idea of the breakdown of any 3.5" bracket at all versus none. The previous survey showed the vast majority of people only needed 2x 3.5" drives or less so I limited the question to that for simplicity.

Anthony

Average Stuffer
Dec 5, 2015
Thanks for the quick reply! Well that does suck; I do understand the ever compounding issues though. I'll still be purchasing it either way.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It didn't proceed to the next page when I selected "What?" :mad:

Does the prototype's handle's bracket also support a slim fan like we talked about earlier ? I'm thinking about that for use without the handle (I transport my PC once a year or so), but maybe if the 3D file is made available, we can have it 3D printed individually ? Since for me it would only need to hold a Scythe 100mm Kaze 10mm fan.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
I know it's all not set in stone yet, so roughly how long a time will the next one be after the Prototype run? (and any price difference?) o_o

EDIT: a bit of context: Singapore has 7% tax on imports costing more than 400SGD (inclusive of shipping)

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I do understand the ever compounding issues though.

I'm glad you understand. I've talked to several people who don't realize how badly each additional option can compound the total number of possible configurations. 3 colors x yes/no window x yes/no handle = 12 combinations. If we add steel/aluminum as a choice now there's 24 combinations.

It didn't proceed to the next page when I selected "What?" :mad:

That's on purpose, though perhaps I should do a more traditional checkbox instead of being cheeky :p

Does the prototype's handle's bracket also support a slim fan like we talked about earlier ?

Yes

but maybe if the 3D file is made available, we can have it 3D printed individually ?

That's a neat idea, I'll check into that.

I know it's all not set in stone yet, so roughly how long a time will the next one be after the Prototype run? (and any price difference?) o_o

No idea on timeline. In theory it could be just a few weeks but I seriously doubt we'll manage that. General production should be cheaper, not sure by how much yet.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
No idea on timeline. In theory it could be just a few weeks but I seriously doubt we'll manage that. General production should be cheaper, not sure by how much yet.

Ahh, okay. I'm not in a hurry to get it, but nonetheless interested in getting one eventually! :D

MrBreakfst

Caliper Novice
Jul 27, 2016
I'm hoping to do a custom loop with 2 reference (or rather, "Founders Edition") 1070s. Also, would there be enough room between the mobo tray and the bottom radiator for the motherboard to fit between

Cutie DarkFae

Caliper Novice
May 18, 2016
Good luck with the prototype run :)

The lack of steel panels is, *shrug* I'll have to line the inside of the aluminium in magnets, I've got enough :)

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'm hoping to do a custom loop with 2 reference (or rather, "Founders Edition") 1070s. Also, would there be enough room between the mobo tray and the bottom radiator for the motherboard to fit between

It'll depend on the radiator then, bottom rad can be a tight fit. I recommend the AlphaCool ST30 since it's fairly slim in both width and length compared to most of the other options.

Good luck with the prototype run :)

Thanks!

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The GTS 240 is 133mm wide compared to 124mm for the ST30. With rad on bottom and fans on top that's ok.

But with the fans on bottom and rad on top that extra width impedes on the room for the motherboard headers (USB, front IO, audio, etc.)

Reactions: Commissariat

tokyovigilante

Cable Smoosher
Aug 26, 2016
Hi,
Is there any provision for a rear-mounted SFX power supply, for use with a single GPU and front-mounted radiatior?
I'm planning on using a Cooler Master Nepton 120 which has a 47mm block, so should just fit an ATX supply, but it would be good to have a bit more room, and I don't want to use a front-mounted power supply and have the rad stuck under the GPU.
Can't wait for the case by the way!

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Is there any provision for a rear-mounted SFX power supply, for use with a single GPU and front-mounted radiatior?

As there is a rear mounting option for ATX PSUs, all you'll need is the Silverstone PP08:

Reactions: tedlas and jeshikat

O_and_N

Average Stuffer
Aug 18, 2016
Why is a prototype run necessary?You did all the thermal testing.
So in the end is a steel interior and only all the pannels are aluminum?sides, top,front)

Reactions: tedlas

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Why is a prototype run necessary?

There have been minor adjustments to the design and we need to check them. Plus, it's a test of manufacturing and shipping a larger volume.

So in the end is a steel interior and only all the pannels are aluminum?sides, top,front)

Correct. Steel frame and brackets. Aluminum exterior panels. Everything still powder coated.

Reactions: Phuncz