Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

sr2002

Case Bender
Aug 13, 2016
Maybe, if you're willing to throw enough money at the manufacturer :p

Welcome to the forum!

We don't know yet. I know "it's done when it's done" is frustrating to hear but it's better than promising dates and failing to meet them.

When we take orders for the prototypes you'll be able to specify color, window, carry handle, etc. for the available options.

Probably not actually. I'd like to but part of the reason for the delay is the manufacturer has been busy with bigger customers lately so we want to keep the prototype run straightforward and close to the production units to streamline things.

Fair point.

Yes. I only have windowed panels for the white, black, and blue for the current prototype which is why those aren't pictures of the red window.

Thanks a lot for the response. I've sent you a PM.

candyman

Caliper Novice
Mar 27, 2016
I would leave the 2.0mm measure even for steel: on the contrary the panels wouldn't perfectly alined.
One panel windowed: any others interested on a prototype with these specs?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Practically there is only one positive difference with going for aluminium and that is the reduced weight. The toughness is worse, looks are the same (because powder coated) and magnetical adherence is gone. One advantage I can think of is bare aluminium as a potential option, but those will probably show a lot of production marks.

It would be nice if anodizing the panels was an option, but after seeing the powder coating samples and their unique look, I am converted.
I'm not against the use of aluminium because it will probably boosts sales by a large factor because people associate aluminium with higher quality.

Last edited:
Reactions: Commissariat

candyman

Caliper Novice
Mar 27, 2016
What about two different production runs?

First the "Steel prototype edition" and then the "Aluminum regular edition"?

p.s.: yes I know that the goal of the prototype is to get an idea of the definitive result.... But it would satisfy who make a pledge on the original case...

Last edited:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
In the short term, none. The appeal is in weight and magnetism.

Magnetism for magnetic dust filters?

I would leave the 2.0mm measure even for steel

Ah, that would get around the alignment issue.

What about two different production runs?

That's not practical since it'd split an already small run into even smaller batches. Plus I'm sure that not everyone who wants steel wants 2.0mm steel.

candyman

Caliper Novice
Mar 27, 2016
So the frame for steel panels is slightly different from the frame for aluminum panels?

I asked for 2.0mm steel panels only because I know that is the measure of aluminum ones... So, I thought, to maintain the alignment I have to ask for the same dimension...

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
Magnetism for magnetic dust filters?

Yes, among other things. Attaching filters to the inside of a the panel instead of the frame offers some more flexibility and neatly avoids the problem of screws. Also, magnets >>> double sided tape for attaching things like embedded controllers/temperature probes/LED strips.

At the moment I am considering dremel-free solutions to the 1080 FTW being too wide. Among them is to leave it air-cooled since the ACX design appears to have come a long way since version 1.0. The remaining 20 mm gap is probably not enough for the cooler's exhaust but if the side panels are still symmetric, the vent could be flipped to the bottom. The intake fans will probably also draw air from this vent even with bottom case fans so filtration is needed.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
So the frame for steel panels is slightly different from the frame for aluminum panels?

When I switched from 1.3mm steel to 2.0mm aluminum panels I had to adjust the position of the clips on the frame and the dimensions of the panels slightly so that the panels are flush where they come together at the top of the case.

So you're right, doing a straight material swap and using the same thickness of steel will mean the panels will align correct, just at the expense of weight.

Yes, among other things.

I see.

if the side panels are still symmetric

They are.

Anthony

Average Stuffer
Dec 5, 2015
Magnetism would be great for filters, led lights, and regular decorative magnets. Magnets are much better than tape; I'd rather not have to clean off any more glue residue from a hard to reach places.
@Aibohphobia

waldoh

Efficiency Noob
Aug 16, 2016
I am late to the party, but planning a new build.

I saw the kickstarter failed and it would be difficult to deliver to the 150 or so people still interested at that volume. Is this case still going to be produced? I am interested.

O_and_N

Average Stuffer
Aug 18, 2016
So the thread at the hardforum started to become ¨dusty¨ so im here :)
Aiboh,i havent read all the info here but i can see thing are still moving slow.Did you consider leaving the(made in use thing)and probably go with lian-li for speed like the ncase?I somehow have a feeling that this is starting to cost you(money wise)more than it shoud.
On the other hand do you think people will be able to by the case this year?

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
So the thread at the hardforum started to become ¨dusty¨ so im here

Welcome to the forum! Keeping up with multiple forums proved to be too much so we've consolidated the discussion here.

Did you consider leaving the(made in use thing)and probably go with lian-li for speed like the ncase?

We will not use Lian Li for Cerberus. Main reason is that the case will resemble the M1 too much and I already get enough comments about it being a M1 knockoff as it is :p

On the other hand do you think people will be able to by the case this year?

Hopefully.