Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I hate to ask, but can you roughly estimate when you think sales for the cases will initiate?

You shouldn't hate to ask that at all! You'd only be asking if you were eager to get the case :)

Anyways, and more seriously, though, probably in the Q3 timeframe - i.e. July-September. That would be for commercial availability of the final version of the enclosure, if you catch my drift. I'll go that specific but no more, for now. Lots of other details surrounding that... but I personally would consider it a failure if we were later than that. I don't think we will be.

---

To be honest, there's a few things we can't share yet because we've actually been sideswiped by a pretty serious setback: geopolitics. Yes, seriously. The US has massively escalated the level of tariffs on the cost of rolled steel imports from China, and this is causing a spike in domestic steel prices that's disrupting pretty much the entire manufacturing sector.

To keep a long story short, US manufacturers have enjoyed a glut of steel for the past few years because Chinese steel mills were flooding the market with cheap steel - in part because they had the support (and a degree of financial backing via subsidies) from the Chinese government, and in part because a slowing Chinese economy and construction bust has encouraged producers there to export heavily. This boosted demand and use of steel by US-based manufacturers, since steel prices had plummeted, but the market is so over-saturated that prices haven't rebounded and domestic steel producers have been quite adversely affected. Nucor and others have lost billions, overall US steel production has plummeted, and US-based steel mills have been struggling financially as of late.

The US has, in response, elected to dramatically increase the cost of importing steel, in order to ensure that domestic steel producers aren't completely devastated by (what they'd argue are) prices that they simply can't compete against. This is great news for the steel companies, and their employees, but it's terrible news for domestic manufacturers for three very important reasons:
  1. The price of steel is going to spike in a very big way in the US, and stay high for the foreseeable future, or until the tariffs are reduced. That could be a timescale of months or years, it really depends on whether or not China and the US can come to some sort of trade agreement.
  2. Because manufacturers across the country are now trying to stockpile steel in anticipation of increased prices, the supply of steel is now inconsistent and scarce already.
  3. Because the low cost of steel incentivized a lot of manufacturers and companies to use lots of steel in their products, there's likely going to be a lot of re-tooling and re-adjusting in order to compensate for everything above - from using less steel, to replacing it with other metals. So market prices for ancillary raw materials and other things are going to be affected by this as well.
[To be clear, I'm not saying all of this to argue one way or another that the US imposing these tariffs is a "good" or "bad" thing, and this isn't meant to be a political post. It's just the reality that Kimera Industries has found itself in.]

Given that Cerberus uses steel, the entire cost structure of manufacturing the enclosure has now changed considerably. To wit, aluminum is now cheaper for us to use, when compared to steel. We're considering what to do to keep the price from being affected, and what materials we should avail ourselves of. We've been looking into using aluminum for the panels, but at this point we may have no choice but to make the entire enclosure in aluminum.

...Ironically, a lot of people may interpret this as a good thing, but we've consistently believed that steel was a better choice for the internal chassis for a few reasons, none of which had to do with cost. Namely, we're able to use a thinner gauge, magnetic dust filters are supported, and the case is able to be more rigid. That said, and for whatever reason, the market perception does tend to be that "aluminum is higher quality than steel", which, although primitive, means such a change may be advantageous from a strictly marketing perspective. Furthermore, a fully aluminum enclosure does have the very nice benefit of significantly reducing the weight of the case as well, and that's pretty great for something that's ostensibly portable.

(We may also be able to reduce shipping costs a little bit, though dimensions factor more into that than weight, and Cerberus may have to increase in size slightly to accommodate the necessarily thicker gauge we need to keep the enclosure solid)

---

Anyways, we've been pretty frustrated behind the scenes with this since, if this wasn't going on, we'd probably have made some announcements by now. And to be clear, the magnitude of this is very large: this not only affects us, but practically every customer our manufacturer has! So not only do we have to respond in our own product, but our manufacturer has to help literally everyone they serve refactor their entire product lines to account for this. Hence, work that took us a day or two is now taking a week or longer. There are a lot of losers among us.

Lastly, and just because I know some will think of it, or think to ask: we will not be moving production of Cerberus overseas. That would add monumental delays, marginal cost savings, and compromise a lot of things about the enclosure. There are also some things we're able to do (but can't announce presently) that we simply can't do with an international manufacturer. Once we announce and ship, I promise that you'll see how going with our present manufacturer is highly advantageous and beneficial to you all. Until then, though, you'll just have to trust us.

Sorry for the longwinded post, but this is what's been occupying us for the past two weeks, basically. It's frustrating as hell, but I'll admit that it's pretty neat insofar that I've only really been an observer of these sorts of things in the past. To be an invested participant in economics and geopolitics is actually pretty neat, even if we're on the losing end of things right now.

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
Wow. Well I guess the refusal of US mills to move to minifacturing has finally caught up. Who knows, maybe steel will become seen as a premium material now.

So, will the case remain steel?

Commissariat

Caliper Novice
Jun 20, 2015
We've been looking into using aluminum for the panels, but at this point we may have no choice but to make the entire enclosure in aluminum.

Damn. Would even sticking with just the steel inner frame change the price by much (how much are we talking about, if you feel confortable disclosing that?) or is the question more about the sudden unavailability of steel in the market? Also, is a steel inner frame still an option being considered, or is it pretty much ruled out at this point?

Sorry for all the questions, these news just came a bit suddenly to me.

Vidjagames72

Chassis Packer
Apr 5, 2016
I won't be able to do what I panned with this case. The engine in my car just blew and I am now looking at getting a replacement car.

At best what I will now be able to do with this case (if I get one at this point) is just keep what I can of what I have and transferring it over instead of upgrading (watercooling would just be my h-220x on the cpu). If the atx option becomes a reality I won't have to change anything. If it ends up only being the mATX case I would need a new motherboard. Honestly though with having to get a new car I probably won't be messing with my computer at all.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
We're not 100% sure either way just yet.

Waiting on figures from our manufacturer, and time to discuss options. Everyone's opinion on an all-aluminum case (and let's assume that price wouldn't change) would be appreciated, though!

We'll find a way to resolve this, but just wanted to share so it doesn't seem like we're just twiddling thumbs :p

I won't be able to do what I panned with this case. The engine in my car just blew and I am now looking at getting a replacement car.

At best what I will now be able to do with this case (if I get one at this point) is just keep what I can of what I have and transferring it over instead of upgrading (watercooling would just be my h-220x on the cpu). If the atx option becomes a reality I won't have to change anything. If it ends up only being the mATX case I would need a new motherboard. Honestly though with having to get a new car I probably won't be messing with my computer at all.

Very sorry to hear of car troubles, they can kill budgets :( I'm a happy non-car owner presently, but back in high school I had a Subaru Outback, and the gas and repairs took a distressingly large chunk of my minimum-wage part-time income.

I suppose one "benefit" to all this is that we've had time to work on the ATX design, since we've had more time between milestones for Cerberus proper. For what that's worth!

jsco

Average Stuffer
Feb 2, 2016
thanks for the updates. i always find it interesting to hear about the gory details of manufacturing and distribution. there is so much more to the engineering process than you'd ever imagine from just looking at a finished product.

meanwhile, i am super excited about the strix gtx 1080. looks like it'll just fit in the cerberus (i.e. it'll look massive in there), it has RGB lighting, and those external PWM fan headers are going to work brilliantly with a pair of huge, bottom-mounted 140mm fans.

i will admit to being tempted by other cases, like the caselabs bullet bh4, or going mITX with the DAN A4, but the airflow design and the aesthetics of the cerberus are just too perfect to pass up.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
meanwhile, i am super excited about the strix gtx 1080. looks like it'll just fit in the cerberus

Actually, the 1080 Strix is a bit longer than the 980 Strix but it's shorter in height since it doesn't have that stupidly tall bit of heatpipe sticking out.

i will admit to being tempted by other cases, like the caselabs bullet bh4, or going mITX with the DAN A4

I'm really glad to see the direction CaseLabs went with the Bullet line. Their previous cases are nice for what they are, but water cooling isn't the end all, be all of enthusiast PCs so I like the focus on air-cooling for the new cases. Still too big though :p

I'd get a DAN A4-SFX for myself but I'm too fond of having a handle on my case and there's not an easy way to mod one onto the A4. I really hope that the project hitting it's goal in an hour will show the industry that SFF deserves more attention than we saw at Computex this year.

Reactions: alamilla

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
The lack of magnetism could make dust filtration a serious pain. I'd like to avoid an adhesive solution like Demciflex provides because it's kind of flaky. I'd also like to avoid having to unmount all the intake fans to clean filters.

forstsiven

Chassis Packer
Jun 2, 2016
Really interested in your case, I have a few questions. I am vacillating between this or the Dan A4.

Apologies if I have missed someone else's question that you've already answered. I filled out the survey and saw an option for additional colors such as purple, which I would be really keen on. Are there any pictures or mockups of the case in other colors?

Additionally, and perhaps this is a stupid or naive question, but would this Cerberus be able to fit two of the 1080s?

Finally, is the clear side panel expected to make it to the final design spec? Or is that still in play depending on potential customer response?

Thanks and good luck with this project!

AstroWan

Caliper Novice
Apr 14, 2016
Really interested in your case, I have a few questions. I am vacillating between this or the Dan A4.

Apologies if I have missed someone else's question that you've already answered. I filled out the survey and saw an option for additional colors such as purple, which I would be really keen on. Are there any pictures or mockups of the case in other colors?

Additionally, and perhaps this is a stupid or naive question, but would this Cerberus be able to fit two of the 1080s?

Finally, is the clear side panel expected to make it to the final design spec? Or is that still in play depending on potential customer response?

Thanks and good luck with this project!

So I can kick in to offer a few answers from what I've seen in the past.

Addessing the sli 1080s thing, yes you can fit two gtx 1080s in the case, so long as you have enough power from the psu and a mobo with 2 pcie ports (but I assume you would have that already planned out). If you're comtemplating sli-ing, just note that you should use either two blower style gpus or a watercooling loop for both, as open-aired cooling is not recommended (I'm possibly planning to do sli if buy this case myself).

As for the windowed side panel, they stated that it'd be an additional option when you're purchasing the case (so it cost an additional fee).

Hope that can help a bit.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Really interested in your case, I have a few questions.

Welcome to the forum!

Are there any pictures or mockups of the case in other colors?

No, because at this point it's looking unlikely we'll be able to offer colors beyond the basic red, black, blue, and white. I'd love to offer a wide variety of colors but the logistics of it are too cumbersome.

It'll depend on which GTX 1080s. Several of the cards shown look pretty big so they may not fit. Any reference-size cards will fit for sure.

Finally, is the clear side panel expected to make it to the final design spec?

The partial window design on the prototype is pretty sure to be available. A full window will not.

Reactions: AstroWan

AstroWan

Caliper Novice
Apr 14, 2016
Hmmm so about pricing, if you switch to aluminum would pricing be the same or cheaper (as I was shooting for around 150 USD like the Ncase M1). And I'm still awaiting for a windowed one :eek:.

Also... the wait is killing me, I want to put two 1070s in there now!

Last edited:

Cutie DarkFae

Caliper Novice
May 18, 2016
I wouldn't mind an Al case. A steel inner would be nice though, stability, rigidity and all that. Al I can get oxidised for a lovely oil-on-water shimmer effect, which is really hard with steel :)

forstsiven

Chassis Packer
Jun 2, 2016
So I can kick in to offer a few answers from what I've seen in the past.

Addessing the sli 1080s thing, yes you can fit two gtx 1080s in the case, so long as you have enough power from the psu and a mobo with 2 pcie ports (but I assume you would have that already planned out). If you're comtemplating sli-ing, just note that you should use either two blower style gpus or a watercooling loop for both, as open-aired cooling is not recommended (I'm possibly planning to do sli if buy this case myself).

As for the windowed side panel, they stated that it'd be an additional option when you're purchasing the case (so it cost an additional fee).

Hope that can help a bit.

Welcome to the forum!

No, because at this point it's looking unlikely we'll be able to offer colors beyond the basic red, black, blue, and white. I'd love to offer a wide variety of colors but the logistics of it are too cumbersome.

It'll depend on which GTX 1080s. Several of the cards shown look pretty big so they may not fit. Any reference-size cards will fit for sure.

The partial window design on the prototype is pretty sure to be available. A full window will not.

Thank you for the welcome and the quick responses! Shame about the colors but white was my second choice anyways, so it's not a major issue.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
We're considering what to do to keep the price from being affected, and what materials we should avail ourselves of. We've been looking into using aluminum for the panels, but at this point we may have no choice but to make the entire enclosure in aluminum.
Titanium frame, anyone ? Or how about carbon-fiber ? I'd also settle for magnesium or chrome-plated copper.

I suppose one "benefit" to all this is that we've had time to work on the ATX design, since we've had more time between milestones for Cerberus proper. For what that's worth!

The last time I bought an ATX motherboard was pre-Pentium 4 era. But I'm eagerly looking forward to the Cerberus EXTRA-REDACTED.