Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
@TheHig link is working now...don't why it didn't before..;) Anyway thanks for fixing it.

Thanks also for sharing those Cerberus setups..:D

For some reason a few image hosting sites, especially imgur have been having trouble loading here thelast couple of months. Usually a browser refresh button a couple of times will get them to load if they don’t the first time. At least in safari and chrome.

Theinnocent

Efficiency Noob
Feb 26, 2018
@TheHig I should be able to fit a pair of Noctua NFA12-25 fans in my system considering that I am using one x-flow radiator in the vertical mount and a standard u-flow on the bottom. Perhaps that would mitigate any potential noise issue.

Reactions: TheHig

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Yeah you should be able to run lower rpms with those fans. I’m still messing with the fan curve so some improvements can be made.

Invictum594

Minimal Tinkerer
Nov 26, 2018
Has anyone seen/done an mATX in the Cerb-X? I'm planning to do Threadripper build + watercool and will need a ton of radiator space. I saw on the website that mATX is supported in Cerb-X but in the threads it seems like y'all are saying that you have to drill your own standoffs?

Should I just be doing an ATX mobo? My assumption is that by going mATX in the Cerb-X there would be space available for a reservoir, similar to the layout of the people doing custom loops with an ITX in the smaller Cerberus.

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
FWIW I swapped from the slim noctua to the grey noctua pwm, on mobile so model # escapes me, and frankly did not gain a real big,noticeable difference in noise at load. As described before, it’s not loud but it is a hummming. I also have the solid window panel on mine , but it doesn’t really bother me.

My goal in changing them wasn’t for noise, but in the hope of a bit lower temps and maybe a better oc. On that front, I gained little to nothing. Of course, my temps were good imo so it’s mbd.... at least the coffee and cream color scheme is gone, a huge plus in my book :)

altano

Cable Smoosher
New User
Nov 21, 2018
alan.norbauer.com
Has anyone seen/done an mATX in the Cerb-X? I'm planning to do Threadripper build + watercool and will need a ton of radiator space. I saw on the website that mATX is supported in Cerb-X but in the threads it seems like y'all are saying that you have to drill your own standoffs?

Should I just be doing an ATX mobo? My assumption is that by going mATX in the Cerb-X there would be space available for a reservoir, similar to the layout of the people doing custom loops with an ITX in the smaller Cerberus.
It says at the top of the official page:

“Support for ATX, EATX, and Mini-ITX motherboards”

Note that mATX is not listed but mini-ITX is. Confusingly people refer to micro-ATX as mATX instead of µATX, which people sometimes confuse with mini-ITX. Perhaps that’s what you’re thinking?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
mATX and ATX aren't mutually compatible because of conflicting scew stand-off locations for mATX.

microATX (4th layout) has the bottom two/three screw holes in a different position than ATX. On ATX boards it would probably cause short-circuits so it is omitted from the case. The mATX boards will still fit and work, but you have to be careful not to excert too much pressure on the bottom part of the motherboard when inserting connectors or cards.

Invictum594

Minimal Tinkerer
Nov 26, 2018
I see @altano , that makes sense. Thanks for the diagram @Phuncz that is super helpful, though I feel like either the mini-atx or microatx shouldn't exist because that's super confusing lol.

I'm guess it's ATX for me. In fact, correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't @loader963 have an e-ATX mobo in his Cerb-X build and has dual radiators with no clearance issues?

hyp36rmax

Trash Compacter
May 7, 2018
I ordered by Cerebrus X last week during the holidays. Is there a way to monitor shipping status or an account login? I understand the holiday delays, just want to know if there's access to my account.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
@hyp36rmax

I’m just a customer as well but can share my experience.

Look for an email from shipping@sliger.com. It will include tracking information for your order. Also feel free to email them directly to inquire as well. They are pretty prompt to respond.

rcradiator

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2018
mATX and ATX aren't mutually compatible because of conflicting scew stand-off locations for mATX.

microATX (4th layout) has the bottom two/three screw holes in a different position than ATX. On ATX boards it would probably cause short-circuits so it is omitted from the case. The mATX boards will still fit and work, but you have to be careful not to excert too much pressure on the bottom part of the motherboard when inserting connectors or cards.
I've always wondered why the Cerberus comes with preinstalled standoffs. The removable ones don't cost much and I imagine it's cheaper to drill holes for standoff screws than it is to weld standoffs to the case.

Reactions: Kooki

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I've always wondered why the Cerberus comes with preinstalled standoffs. The removable ones don't cost much and I imagine it's cheaper to drill holes for standoff screws than it is to weld standoffs to the case.
Not so sure as it depends on full build process.

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
Do you think an ATX board would interfere with the dual radiators?

100% sure ATX is not a problem with dual 240mm rads as long as you don't plan to use the bottom pci slots. How many pci cards or slots that may have interference issues will depend on the rad thickness and fan choice. Also it may be a bit of a challenge to plug some cables in any of the mobo's plugins on the bottom, but nothing impossible.

Dezroxx

Efficiency Noob
Nov 21, 2018
I ordered by Cerebrus X last week during the holidays. Is there a way to monitor shipping status or an account login? I understand the holiday delays, just want to know if there's access to my account.

@hyp36rmax

New member here, just ordered my Cerberus this past Sunday (4 days ago) and just got confirmation from Sliger support that it will be shipping out today with an email as @TheHig descried with tracking info. Looks like its just a busy time for them. Hard to be patient :)

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
@hyp36rmax

New member here, just ordered my Cerberus this past Sunday (4 days ago) and just got confirmation from Sliger support that it will be shipping out today with an email as @TheHig descried with tracking info. Looks like its just a busy time for them. Hard to be patient :)

Apologies on the delays to everyone that ordered over holiday! Last of the orders will get tracking today or early tomorrow.

Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

Invictum594

Minimal Tinkerer
Nov 26, 2018
100% sure ATX is not a problem with dual 240mm rads as long as you don't plan to use the bottom pci slots. How many pci cards or slots that may have interference issues will depend on the rad thickness and fan choice. Also it may be a bit of a challenge to plug some cables in any of the mobo's plugins on the bottom, but nothing impossible.

Thanks for the insight. One last question I swear...do you have a recommendation for rad thickness? I'm going to need to dissipate a ton of heat with a Threadripper + Vega 64 build, and possibly a second card to use for VM passthrough.