Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
What is the lead time if I order this case?

In stock on both sizes, all options, and all colors. We typically ship same day if you order before 2pm PST, or next business day unless there's a large quantity of orders - then it's processed by oldest orders first.

Well the difference between 240 and 280 is only 40mm of rad space so the differences in performance are likely minimal. I wanted to max out performance though so that's why I went with a 280. I'm sure using another 240mm rad will be just as fine.

I would go 240mm, 280mm fits but it is so tight.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
In stock on both sizes, all options, and all colors. We typically ship same day if you order before 2pm PST, or next business day unless there's a large quantity of orders - then it's processed by oldest orders first.

I would go 240mm, 280mm fits but it is so tight.
Thanks a lot!!

Nyven

Caliper Novice
Nov 16, 2017
@KSliger On the website for ordering full panel windows for the Cerebus X (ATX) it looks like it puts the panels in for the Cerebus (microATX) into the cart, at least for black and red it does when I tried. After adding window panel under Cerebus X, also adding a panel under the Cerebus just ups the counter to 2 which also makes it look like the wrong panel size is being ordered for full window side panel in the Cerebus X parts page.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
@KSliger BTW, sorry to bother you again, maybe you lost my previous question; because of opening and closing a lot of times the side hinge (testing testing testing), I've just stripped one of the small screw. Could you confirim the size from the manual 4-40 x 0.25"? Because actually seems smaller, like 4mm in total the one that I have. Or maybe doesn't matter? Please, let me know when you have a bit of time!
Thank you in advance!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Well the difference between 240 and 280 is only 40mm of rad space so the differences in performance are likely minimal. I wanted to max out performance though so that's why I went with a 280. I'm sure using another 240mm rad will be just as fine.
I will just add that, dislike 280mm radiator, 240 rad can count on the best suited fan for radiator (Gentle typhoon or Noctua NF A12x25).
140mm fans are either/both noisier and less well designed versus 120mm I mentionned

isabirov

Average Stuffer
Nov 15, 2017

Sorry, but it's calculated differently.
You should calculate surface area. 240 rad is 28800 sq.mm. 280 rad is 39200 sq.mm
So difference is 36%. Performance wise you will get about 25-30% increase by using 280.

isabirov

Average Stuffer
Nov 15, 2017
I will just add that, dislike 280mm radiator, 240 rad can count on the best suited fan for radiator (Gentle typhoon or Noctua NF A12x25).
140mm fans are either/both noisier and less well designed versus 120mm I mentionned

Noctua is going to release 140 version of NF-A12x25 :) Or you can use adaptor.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Noctua is going to release 140 version of NF-A12x25 :) Or you can use adaptor.
I know...:)
Wait and see...Noctua 140mm are far from being quiet (especially 1500-2000rpm range) right now...
Like NF A12x25 I waited for mulitple reviews versus (either gentle typhoon or vardar) to see how they perform in performance and noise.

On 140mm fan you need a beefier motor than on 120mm fan...and Sterrox proved to be heavier material than others...so need even beefier motor than standard 140mm fan...a good headache for Noctua designer.

But, if Noctua managed to release a Sterrox 140mm fan than performed "similarly" (ie better performance for same noise) than 120mm then 140mm radiator could be worth looking at..;)

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
@KSliger On the website for ordering full panel windows for the Cerebus X (ATX) it looks like it puts the panels in for the Cerebus (microATX) into the cart, at least for black and red it does when I tried. After adding window panel under Cerebus X, also adding a panel under the Cerebus just ups the counter to 2 which also makes it look like the wrong panel size is being ordered for full window side panel in the Cerebus X parts page.

I had a wrong path in the database, should be fixed in next hour - apologies and thank you for catching that!

geck2897

What's an ITX?
Aug 4, 2018
Received it the past week and now my build is complete !

I'm very happy with the chassis! :thumb:
Just have some suggestions, please!

1. Would be fantastic if you could add audio/mic jacks on the front panel ( also add USB-C support! ).

2. Reset button & HDD usage led indicator, please!

3. Although the support for a 92mm fan at the rear is completely fine, I would like to re-use some Noctua 80mm fans I already own... so perhaps would be a good idea to modify a bit the rear mesh plate in order to use more-common 80mm fans as well as the 92mm ones.

4. Maybe the USB3 header & power led/switch cables are too large :\

5. I feel the case a bit heavy. Maybe could be an interesting idea to use a full aluminium ( or carbon fiber/graphite ) structure instead.

6. Need some cable management design work.

7. The clips-opening system is very cool... but sometimes I feel you need to apply too much force to remove the panels !

8. I would like to be able to rotate the SFX internal plate. Atm, the PSU exhausts air to the top... but I would like, for instance, to turn 90 deg the PSU to exhaust the air to left/right side, providing also more clearance for GPU ( because the power connectors & cables won't interfere with large cards using a SFX-L ).

9. You should provide FIVE pci cover slots, not only 3... because I could use the chassis just for an APU.... Also, I would like to get them as aluminium-hole-ventilated, not solid-steel ones.

10. I would like to get a hole-mesh-ventilated aluminium front panel for better airflow, instead of a solid one.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Received it the past week and now my build is complete !

I'm very happy with the chassis! :thumb:
Just have some suggestions, please!

1. Would be fantastic if you could add audio/mic jacks on the front panel ( also add USB-C support! ).

2. Reset button & HDD usage led indicator, please!

3. Although the support for a 92mm fan at the rear is completely fine, I would like to re-use some Noctua 80mm fans I already own... so perhaps would be a good idea to modify a bit the rear mesh plate in order to use more-common 80mm fans as well as the 92mm ones.

4. Maybe the USB3 header & power led/switch cables are too large :\

5. I feel the case a bit heavy. Maybe could be an interesting idea to use a full aluminium ( or carbon fiber/graphite ) structure instead.

6. Need some cable management design work.

7. The clips-opening system is very cool... but sometimes I feel you need to apply too much force to remove the panels !

8. I would like to be able to rotate the SFX internal plate. Atm, the PSU exhausts air to the top... but I would like, for instance, to turn 90 deg the PSU to exhaust the air to left/right side, providing also more clearance for GPU ( because the power connectors & cables won't interfere with large cards using a SFX-L ).

9. You should provide FIVE pci cover slots, not only 3... because I could use the chassis just for an APU.... Also, I would like to get them as aluminium-hole-ventilated, not solid-steel ones.

10. I would like to get a hole-mesh-ventilated aluminium front panel for better airflow, instead of a solid one.

Thanks!
Thanks for your feedback..:)
For sure, cerberus is not perfect but i love its modularity and compact size..:)

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Finally something is happening! Let's see what AMD and the MB vendors will release this month, and what NVIDIA as well! I would like to add like primary GPU a new Quadro, hopefully a V5000? Otherwise, the third TITAN!
The mobo is just a picture to have a reference!

(I need to flip the fan, sorry, I was tired! :D)

Please, feel free to comments the custom loop, I should have found a good setup, but I am open to changes!

Enjoy this amazing case! And always, thank you @KSliger !

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Aluminium is soft, especially with the case's current thickness ._. anything thicker will require a lot of revisions on sheet folding

not sure about carbon fiber though, but I'm assuming that will cost the case even more? might question its strength at the vents too (even with steel you can kinda flex the infinite vents with your finger)

those should relax after two to five-ish times

away from my PC now. Might need to check because the SFX-L PSU might be too long. or the cables might interfere

EDIT:

It'll be more economical for both parties to buy your own I think o_o also the bulk of the users use a GPU here, so a lot of slot covers will go unused and Sliger will burn though their stack of covers quicker

yeah this one I'm completely with you. there's a touchable temperature difference on the PSU with the front panel off

Last edited:
Reactions: MrBreakfst

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Finally something is happening! Let's see what AMD and the MB vendors will release this month, and what NVIDIA as well! I would like to add like primary GPU a new Quadro, hopefully a V5000? Otherwise, the third TITAN!
The mobo is just a picture to have a reference!

(I need to flip the fan, sorry, I was tired! :D)

Please, feel free to comments the custom loop, I should have found a good setup, but I am open to changes!

Enjoy this amazing case! And always, thank you @KSliger !

Nice..:)
As you are on x299 platform, why not using apogee drive ii as cpu waterblock/dc pump?

Also i don’t understand noctua fan on bottom panel, placed at exhaust. I will invert pump and fan, and i will put fan as intake to bring fresh air to titan..:)

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Nice..:)
As you are on x299 platform, why not using apogee drive ii as cpu waterblock/dc pump?

Also i don’t understand noctua fan on bottom panel, placed at exhaust. I will invert pump and fan, and i will put fan as intake to bring fresh air to titan..:)

Oh, i didn’t know about that waterblock! I will check if fits between the ATX Psu.
It is my first custom loop! I’ve read that bitspower and Barrow was really good for fittings and EK/XSPC for the waterblock, that’s why the choice. The pump is a DDC 3.2 last version.

For now I am more for the x299 for my needs, better support for ram, 10gbit in the SAGE 10G, and few more thing. Let’s see this new TR2 what will bring before to do a final choice.

The fan yes, I totally fucked io the orientation! XD I was so focused on the custom loop that I put them wrong.

Actually the fan is more for the 905p, at the end I will have 3 GPU, I was hoping that maybe the air through the radiator will be ok. What is your idea on it?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Oh, i didn’t know about that waterblock! I will check if fits between the ATX Psu.
It is my first custom loop! I’ve read that bitspower and Barrow was really good for fittings and EK/XSPC for the waterblock, that’s why the choice. The pump is a DDC 3.2 last version.

For now I am more for the x299 for my needs, better support for ram, 10gbit in the SAGE 10G, and few more thing. Let’s see this new TR2 what will bring before to do a final choice.

The fan yes, I totally fucked io the orientation! XD I was so focused on the custom loop that I put them wrong.

Actually the fan is more for the 905p, at the end I will have 3 GPU, I was hoping that maybe the air through the radiator will be ok. What is your idea on it?
For apogee drive ii, check my build. As far as i know, it won’t fit with atx psu..it should work with side sfx-l psu.
After if you just want to cool cpu, you can go for aio, if ever customed is too tight...:)

For gpu stacking and cooling...if you stay on air, it will throttle a little bit and quite noisy...no much to do..:)

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
For apogee drive ii, check my build. As far as i know, it won’t fit with atx psu..it should work with side sfx-l psu.
After if you just want to cool cpu, you can go for aio, if ever customed is too tight...:)

For gpu stacking and cooling...if you stay on air, it will throttle a little bit and quite noisy...no much to do..:)
I was thinking to warercool the GPUs as well, but 1 radiator only is not enough I guess!

Oohhh, I’ve seen a lot of time your builds! Which one have you chosen at the end? You did so many tests!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I was thinking to warercool the GPUs as well, but 1 radiator only is not enough I guess!

Oohhh, I’ve seen a lot of time your builds! Which one have you chosen at the end? You did so many tests!
Well i’ve chosen the last one with apogee drive ii and mcr h220 radiator with gentle typhoon 2150rpm..:)

In your case, you need 240mm radiator just for your cpu. You have to go for air with gpu, if you have several gpu..:)

Reactions: fabio

hsolo505

Cable Smoosher
Apr 22, 2018
@KSliger For the new SSD Display Bracket, what is the maximum thickness 2.5" drive it can support?

I was thinking of mounting 2X 2.5" 5 TB drives; not so much for the display but for clearance for fans.