Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
yes, but compared to original cerberus, you have now aluminium panels on cerberus-x, so it should negate weight increase, no?

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Right, production Cerberus-X will be heavier than production Cerberus.

But both will be lighter than Cerberus-00 since the panels are switching from steel to aluminum.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I've lost my estimate on the weight, so I'll just wait to get my unit and measure it to have a real-world measurement.

It's light enough that it doesn't matter for shipping if that's what you all are wondering, the dimensions of the box are the defining factor.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Lol, no it was not for shipping cost at lol, just by curiousity vs define mini c (6.9kg), the 36l atx case from fractal..:)

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
FWIW, my Cerberus-00 with steel panels, Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti, ASUS X99-M WS motherboard, Noctua NH-C14S w/ 140mm fan, Lian Li PE-750, Intel 750 PCIe card SSD, and handle kit weighs 9.27kg.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Based on main scenario on cerberus-X, I'm more and more in mood to get rid of Kabylake due to its pretty bad thermal compound on IHS. It's even worse than Skylake. That means delid Kabylake is almost mandatory to OC properlly.

Even for SLI, X99+6850K or AM4 seems to come back as my first choice. X99+6850K is offering a sweet sli with full pcie 3 16x bandwidth...that is clearly future proof when pci-e 4 will arrive. (pci-e3 16x will match performance of pci-e 4 8x)

I'm still pretty impressed by sli of gtx 1070 results compared to CF...even I'm supporting more AMD gpu generally...clearly it will be though choice at the end..:)
Compared to my last statement, I've found a trusted and honest review on Delid Core i7 7700K.
http://www.tomshardware.fr/articles/overclocking-kabylake-z270-wizerty-delid,2-2617-3.html

To sum up, up to 1,3v, no need to delid CPU. With silicon lotery you can aim 5Ghz maximum at this vcore..:)

At the end, core i7 7700K (with Asrock Z170 extreme 4 MB) is coming back to my potential choice for Cerberus X. It's still the benchmark to beat whatever..:D

Reactions: LukeD

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Forgot that the X41 won't fit on the bottom so I mounted it to the bottom front instead:

Once again I'm thankful to whoever designed this case such that all the panels come off because it makes it so much easier to work in.

Problem with the X41 in that position though is that it can't fit 10.5" cards with a standard thickness fan. A slim fan would work but I don't have a slim 140mm on hand so I have moved the rad up and put the card in a lower slot and that works :)

I really hope AMD and Intel are generous with the PCIe lanes on the next-gen boards because I love the flexibility of being able to move the card around to whatever slot I want but having to get a $200+ board and $600 CPU to do that sucks.
Sorry for this old topic unearth..:)

If I understood properlly, on X99 MB, you can use whatever pcie 16X slot for GPU, as long as these port are also 16x electrically?

If it's the case, it's shaking completely my setup choice, as it's so convenient to choose alternative pci e port..:)

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
If I understood properlly, on X99 MB, you can use whatever pcie 16X slot for GPU, as long as these port are also 16x electrically?

Kinda.

The low-end X99 CPUs only have 28 PCIe 3.0 lanes. So usually that's split into x16 / x8 / x4, with the x16 being split into x8 / x8 for dual/triple GPUs. It gets messy so best to look at the manual for the particular motherboard you're interested in for details.

Reactions: Phuncz

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Sure i was meaning with a core i7 6850K (40 pci lanes)...if MB is stated 2x16 true pcie, then i can choose whatever pci 16 port.:)

Good news..:)

LocoMoto

DEVOURER OF BAKED POTATOES
Jul 19, 2015
Any updates on that slow boat? Sorry if it sounds a little pushy...

General production is waiting on a shipment of the internal power cords for connecting a front-mounted SFX/SFX-L PSU to the rear of the case. It didn't make it onto a boat before Chinese New Year though so they won't even leave China for another few weeks, then it has to transit the Pacific.

So we're a few months away at least for general production.

Guessing that updates on that slow boats won't be that promising yet.