Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
Hello ! Just a few questions about this beautiful case. Would it be able to fit a ASUS Strix 1080 in this case without any cable interference?

Short answer: Yes.
Seems like it should fit.

That card is apparently 134mm high and the Cerb cases have 152mm PCIe clearance so it looks like you should have enough room above the card for the power connectors.
Long answer: Yes.

Picture answer: Yes - The recessed power connectors work great.

Disclaimer: This picture was a proof of concept. The Strix GTX 1080 with EK WB did not fit in the Cerberus because the EK terminal extends outside of the chassis.

Last edited:
Reactions: KSliger

echoboomer

Minimal Tinkerer
Jan 8, 2018
Hey folks! I'm new here, just created an account to join in on this thread. I'm a regular over at /r/sffpc.

I just bought a Cerberus X in Ecru. I'm a little nervous about the color. Does anyone here have additional pics of this color? The Sliger site makes it look more like a light grey than a true ecru/beige.

Last edited:

Ankacat

Trash Compacter
Silver Supporter
Mar 11, 2016
Hey folks! I'm new here, just created an account to join in on this thread. I'm a regular over at /r/sffpc.

I just bought a Cerberus X in Ecru. I'm a little nervous about the color. Does anyone here have additional pics of this color? The Sliger site makes it look more like a light grey than a true ecru/beige.

Here's the two main albums I've got from the build/update log of my beige Cerberus, I can vouch for it being a very light beige instead of a blue or green light grey, almost like faded parchment or beach sand. The second album has some varying light sources on it but the brown/yellow tones are more apparent with the wood effect washi tape accents in the first set of pictures.

Reactions: TheHig and KSliger

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015

Beige is so hard to get the photo to show the color correctly, here it i's compared the the white, red, and gray panels:

Edit: Adding Black / Grey / White / Beige for comparison

Last edited:

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Hey Cerberus folks!

I'm leaning pretty hard towards mATX right now, though I'm trying to wait until I have an idea for how mATX X470 will pan out. I want to try building a system and using "looking glass" IOMMU, where my (Linux) host OS uses single-slot AMD card that supports Freesync and I can do my gaming on a Windows 10 VM and any GPU, but actually display the frame buffer on the freesync AMD card... it's something that's in alpha, but I want to start getting my hands dirty with that kind of stuff.

So, most MITX cases just don't have enough room for me to have a dual-slot GPU and have a few other expansion cards, like a USB card and a second single-slot card...

Anyways, I like what Cerberus brings to the table a lot. But I'm also kind of buying into the current trends of case manufactuers, particularly tempered glass. I was wondering if anyone could help me get a tempered glass side panel for Cerberus, and I'd also be really interested in getting a wooden front panel. (Also open to Cerberus X.)

Also, I haven't scoured this thread very deelply (190 pages is a lot!), are there any build logs/videos with lots of info/commentary on the post-production version?

Thanks!

Reactions: Phuncz

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Currently, plexiglas side are under development. Tempered glass side panel is not considered due to fixing points (putting stress and shock on panel..tg could be clearly risky)

On your others, don’t put too high hope in any good matx in x470...i’m not even sure there was any x370 matx board.
Safest choice is cerberus-x is opening full atx mb choice

Reactions: zovc

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
On your others, don’t put too high hope in any good matx in x470...i’m not even sure there was any x370 matx board.
Safest choice is cerberus-x is opening full atx mb choice

Hm, I knew there were some mATX x370 boards, but it does seem like they are kind of crappy. I only checked one so far, but it doesn't list SLI compatibility...

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Hm, I knew there were some mATX x370 boards, but it does seem like they are kind of crappy. I only checked one so far, but it doesn't list SLI compatibility...
You know matx board (like mini itx) with x370 chipset with no sli is just stupid...:)

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016
I'm leaning pretty hard towards mATX right now, though I'm trying to wait until I have an idea for how mATX X470 will pan out. I want to try building a system and using "looking glass" IOMMU, where my (Linux) host OS uses single-slot AMD card that supports Freesync and I can do my gaming on a Windows 10 VM and any GPU, but actually display the frame buffer on the freesync AMD card... it's something that's in alpha, but I want to start getting my hands dirty with that kind of stuff.

Wow this "looking glass" thing is pretty good news! Once it becomes stable I may have to try that.

bafbaf

Efficiency Noob
Feb 26, 2017
Quick questions. Which of the screws am I supposed to use for the mainboard? Or any of the screws for that matter?

Joe89

Chassis Packer
Dec 25, 2017
Just replaced the ATX PSU with an Silverstone sx600-g sfx PSU. Now I've got a lot more room so I moved around the radiator to the side for better air intake. I also added an extra 140mm fan to exhaust hot air from the front. The difference in cooling performance is dramatic! Everything is so quiet except for the PSU. The sx600-g isn't 'silent' as advertised at all... Oh well, there aren't many choices for the price range anyways. I also moved the graphics card down to the 8X slot for aesthetic purposes. It doesn't make a difference in terms of speed, at least not for a 1070.

nevermind I gotchu fam @Joe89

(wow white is nice o_o)

Last edited:
Reactions: KSliger

Sancus

Trash Compacter
Nov 12, 2017
The sx600-g isn't 'silent' as advertised at all...

Yeah none of the SFX PSUs are very quiet, because they all use 80mm fans that are required to spin fairly fast under load. The SFX-L ones are better. The Silverstone 700/800W SFX-L that turn off the fan at low load are best!

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Yeah none of the SFX PSUs are very quiet, because they all use 80mm fans that are required to spin fairly fast under load. The SFX-L ones are better. The Silverstone 700/800W SFX-L that turn off the fan at low loud are best!

Corsair SF series and the Silverstone SX650-G and SX-500G use 92mm fans. My SF600 is not loud at all.

Sancus

Trash Compacter
Nov 12, 2017
Corsair SF series and the Silverstone SX650-G and SX-500G use 92mm fans. My SF600 is not loud at all.

You're right, I forgot 92mm was used as well. Everyone has different standards of loud. The loudest thing in my case, even while gaming, is usually the AIO water pump(it's pretty quiet but it's still barely audible with headphones off and no covering speaker noise). What I wanted from my PSU was: Inaudible at load(450W or so, for a 5.2 ghz 8700K + 1080 TI), fan off while doing desktop work(<150W). Reviews generally showed that the SF600 was around 5-10dba louder than the SX800-LTI at 450W, depending on measuring distance. Weirdly, though it generally sucks, Toms Hardware seems to have the best SFX PSU reviews(they use a hemi-anechoic chamber and take care to isolate the PSU!).

Reactions: Joe89

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Sfx-l psu best advantage over sfx is noise.
I never had any regrets to replace my sf600 to sx800lti.
Corsair sf psu are great with medium wattage in a cool environment...however when environment is becoming hot and load is reaching 75%, it’s pretty loud.
On top silverstone psu are provided with very smooth cables, best suited for sff.

Ps : i can’t see your photos @Joe89

Reactions: Joe89