Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
There needs to be some indication of the survey being up beyond the first post in this thread and posts here.. on the KI main page, on smallformfactor.net main page, in the KI blog.. somewhere...everywhere!

Achieve maximum input!

:D

As a sidenote - I find a lot of that pcperspective video troubling. Lots of misinformation in that piece both for the Cerberus and the M1 - most notably them mentioning BOTH atx and sfx support for the Cerberus, which is not true when interpreted in the literal sense.. right now it's still one or the other unless the survey option comes to fruition.

I realize it's more of a live format (I think?) and subject to errors, but it's a stark contrast to a lot of their articles/reviews that are spot on and incredibly informative.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
There needs to be some indication of the survey being up beyond the first post in this thread and posts here.. on the KI main page, on smallformfactor.net main page, in the KI blog.. somewhere...everywhere!

Achieve maximum input!

We've mentioned the survey on the forums and to our subscribers, and we've decided that such indication is enough. We only want people who are serious about ordering to fill it out, so simply getting as many people aware as possible isn't as helpful as targeting the people who are the most invested. And they tend to follow us here, or have at least subscribed for updates :thumb:

As a sidenote - I find a lot of that pcperspective video troubling. Lots of misinformation in that piece both for the Cerberus and the M1 - most notably them mentioning BOTH atx and sfx support for the Cerberus, which is not true when interpreted in the literal sense.. right now it's still one or the other unless the survey option comes to fruition.

I realize it's more of a live format (I think?) and subject to errors, but it's a stark contrast to a lot of their articles/reviews that are spot on and incredibly informative.

With the upmost respect to PCPer (I'm an avid reader and fan), everyone on the program will only have deep knowledge of articles they themselves have written, if only because they're having to take in (and subsequently report on) so much news from all over the place. If you listen to Low Volume, for example, it's abundantly clear that I (as the moderator) have a much shallower understanding of our News topics than do the guys who wrote them up - James, John and Jay. I can speak cogently towards everything, but I'm not an expert in it all by any stretch.

Likewise, as Sebastian Peak wrote the article, but wasn't in the podcast (which is typical, IIRC), nobody was there who's really intently looked into our project. So that, coupled with the error in their show notes, explains why they misunderstood a few things until they discussed during the show.

Is it a bummer that the philosophy and functionality of Cerberus isn't perfectly communicated by everyone. everywhere? Sure. But they were generally enthusiastic, and now a lot of people know about us, even if only in passing. The moment readers and viewers of PCPer look to learn more, the onus will be on us (as it should!) to succinctly and clearly communicate who we are, what we're doing, and why it's important.

Reactions: Phuncz

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Will you be sending out a prototype to pcper and others before the beginning of the crowdfunding? It will probably get you a bunch more backers.

We've got lots of things going on for the sake of promoting Cerberus, but we have only one prototype - and it will be different from the final version in a lot of little ways, so a "review" isn't really appropriate (which is what most places would seek to do). And in any case, most places we've talked to need a lot more lead-time than is available before the campaign starts.

(We also want to have the prototype with us in the beginning so we can test fitment and answer related questions as they come in.)

All that said, yes, the prototype we do have will probably be doing some traveling in all likelihood. Maybe before the campaign, maybe during. We've got lots of options and continue to consider all of 'em

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Bare in mind, Dimitri & Linus didn't receive an M1 until V4 and Ncase still had a tremendous amount of success.

We've reached out to some of these places, and a few others. We've also had places reach out to us. So we'll see what happens!

Anyways, unrelated, but: I can't resist sharing this image, as James did a photo shoot last night for the crowdfunding campaign:

Really puts into perspective how darn small Cerberus is for what goes inside it.

Pat-Roner

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2016
Aw, man this case is going to be neat! I'm so stoked.

But regards to the feet. Have you considered adding a chamfered bottom corner or something? Just to make them a bit less "bland"
As they look now, I would guess they where made from rubber, and not machined aluminium.

Reactions: tedlas

Qrash

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2015
PCPer seem to be a little lacking in the SFF knowledge. Nano-itx? really..
Yes, It's too bad Sebastian Peak was not on this week's PcPer Podcast. He is their case reviewer and is into small cases and those created by small startups like Ncase and Kimera Industries. I think Sebastian will give a very thorough and capable review if a sample is sent to him.

Another site that is receptive to these types of cases is Hardware Canucks. Igor produces some of the best video reviews online.

Pat-Roner

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2016
Yes, It's too bad Sebastian Peak was not on this week's PcPer Podcast. He is their case reviewer and is into small cases and those created by small startups like Ncase and Kimera Industries. I think Sebastian will give a very thorough and capable review if a sample is sent to him.

Another site that is receptive to these types of cases is Hardware Canucks. Igor produces some of the best video reviews online.

Dimitry's videos really are on point. So talented!

Reactions: Brian

tedlas

Average Stuffer
Aug 18, 2015

Qrash

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2015
Of course, I meant Dimitri not Igor. What was I thinking? Yes, Dimitri is in Toronto.
(BTW Canuck = Canadian, it's like a nickname)

Brian

Caliper Novice
Feb 5, 2016

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Quality reviews like those take time though. But we've reached out to a few reviewers so we'll see.

I very much think Cerberus should stay how the current prototype is with a back cutout for ATX or exhaust fan. It will give us more options if we change our minds later.

I've gotten quite a few comments like this so we're considering it. Though I wonder how much of it is the same reason many people go with ATX motherboards and full towers, they like the thought of having all that flexibility even though they'll probably never use it.

Reactions: alamilla

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I can believe people with elaborate watercooling would or could go with an SFX-L PSU in a converter bracket on the Cerberus' ATX-bracket, to allow more front-area cooling, since most would also watercool their CPU.
I think if it's an affordable option (<$35) to include these swapable rear brackets at additional cost, later or during innitial shipping, this could be an important part in flexibility.

Or possibly offer a third rear bracket somewhere down the line that has just an SFX cutout alligned as much as possible towards the outer side, if enough units are sold and it's financially doable to do this.

But I'm also aware that with an MOQ and an unknown percent of users needing/wanting this, it might be more difficult to realise.