AMD @ 7nm - Ryzen 3k series GPUs - Navi & Vega 2 GPUs

Boil

SFF Guru
Original poster
Nov 11, 2015

@ASRock System - Please hang tight for a minute, read over the speculation(s), I will circle back around to why I mentioned you...!

So, a little speculation on what we may see coming in the next year from AMD...!

Obviously, the above is a roundup of some recent AMD rumors...

Whether or not you, the reader, agree with these rumors or not, let us proceed in a hypothetical frame of mind...

IF we follow a "progression in power", extrapolated from the above GPU rumors, and the knowledge that Vega is going to a 7nm process as well, and ignore the fact that AMD has not said anything about plans for 7nm Vega for consumers / prosumers, in fact I believe they stated the 7nm Vega20 GPUs in the new MI50 & MI60 Instinct "datacenter GPUs" are not intended for display output (expensive miner cards)...

I propose a three tier consumer / prosumer GPU line-up:

(..."air quotes" around the model # because I am not going to figure out how they make break down the CU count in regards to branding...)

Vega II "56" w/16GB HBM2 = GTX 1080Ti / RTX 2080

Vega II "64" w/16GB HBM2 = RTX 2080TI

Vega II "FE" w/32GB HBM2 = RTX Titan

Minus the Ray Tracing...? But if you want to play that one game that actually uses the Ray Tracing part of "RTX"... ;^p

Alright, enough conjecture & rumor mongering, on to the real "show"...!!!

So, the above mentioned (in the first image, silly...) shows the new Ryzen 9 CPUs...

The internet tells me these will need the new X570 chipset because of the power requirements, a possible 8+4 pin CPU power situation...

The internet, by which I mean the folks over in the AMD CPU subforum of [H], also wonder at memory bandwidth needs with these purported 16 core / 32 thread consumer CPUs...

So my question to YOU, @ASRock System, might we SEE a X570 version of the X299E-ITX/ac "Little Monster" mini ITX form factor motherboard, with quad-channel SO-DIMM slots (support for 32GB modules) & multiple M.2 NVMe SSD slots...?!?

Fingers & toes crossed (it takes me FOREVER to walk anywhere now)...!!!

EDIT - Well, after more reading on the old Interwebz, looks like X570 one supports dual-channel memory & does not have the PCI lanes to support a multitude of M.2 NVMe SSDs on the CPU...

/sadface

Looks like you're off the hook, @ASRock System ...! ;^p

Last edited:
Reactions: lawney and SashaLag

parlinone

Trash Compacter
Nov 3, 2017
The specs and launch date (19Q1) seem too good to be true but we'll see. If this is true intel will need to cut their prices to be able to compete.

parlinone

Trash Compacter
Nov 3, 2017
with the rumored ~15% IPC uplift the 3300X would be as fast or faster as the 8600K, at a much lower TDP, for half the price. I have a hard time believing this will debut/launch next month...

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
More likely what will happen is an official announcement at CES 2019 next month, and then released in later Spring. If we are going with the cadence of the previous gen Ryzen announcements.

Boil

SFF Guru
Original poster
Nov 11, 2015
More likely what will happen is an official announcement at CES 2019 next month, and then released in later Spring. If we are going with the cadence of the previous gen Ryzen announcements.

I am hoping for a CES 2019 announcement of the Ryzen 3K series CPUs, Radeon RX 3K series of GPUs, & X570 / B550 motherboards; and then release / shipping in quantity no later than Computex 2019...

With the following:

ASRock Fatal1ty B550 Gaming-ITX/ac motherboard
Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
Noctua NH-U9S CPU cooler
(2) Noctua NF-A9 PWM fans (1 pushing on CPU heat sink, 1 exhausting on rear 92mm fan bracket, both on 2>1 splitter to CPU Fan Header)
Noctua NF-S12A PWM fan (intake on front side bracket slot)
16GB G.SKILL DDR4-3200 CAS 14 RAM
Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD
Radeon RX 3080 Navi10 GPU
Raijintek Morpheus Vega GPU cooler
(2) Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM fans (on GPU heat sink, set to exhaust)
NCASE M1 v5
Corsair SF600 SFX PSU (which I already have courtesy of a give-away right here at SFFN)
A set of three custom length sleeved cables (24-pin / 8-pin CPU / 8-pin GPU) for above

I can bring in a NCASE M1 build suitable for the predicted GTA VI system requirements, and do it all within a budget of 1500 bucks...!!!

Reactions: lawney

Boil

SFF Guru
Original poster
Nov 11, 2015
Sorry @ASRock System , I have been doing more reading on the old Interwebz...

So, would you please, Please, PLEASE push for the following Enthusiast X570 ITX motherboard...?!?

AM4 socket
X570 chipset
Ample power phases for Ryzen 9 3850X CPU
64GB maximum RAM
(2) DIMM slots w/ support for 32GB DDR4-3200 CAS 14 DIMMs (ECC support as well)
NO onboard video support
Chipset moved to bottom rear corner of motherboard (like with the X299 ITX motherboard)
Front side 2280 M.2 slot (like H270 / H370 / Z270 / Z370 motherboards) that is for NVMe SSD only, x4 PCIe straight to the CPU
Two (2) rear 2280 M.2 SATA III SSD slots
NO onboard SATA ports, the backside M.2 SATA III SSDs are what you get
Gen 4 x16 PCIe slot
Dual 10Gb Ethernet
USB-C
USB
Audio I/O & Optical

The ASRock X570E-ITX/ac "Little Monster AM4 Edition"...!!!

I will be glad to T&E a production sample for you, please include R9 3850X CPU & RAM kit, thanks...! ;^p

Last edited:

sgtspiff

Caliper Novice
May 25, 2018
Wishlisting deluxe. The Nice thing is That we just Have to wait for about 2-3 weeks and get alot of answers.
Hopefully Vega 3000 Will compete on tdp as well as price.
Ryzen 3000 Will boost IPC making them not just price/performance winner But actual gaming winner.
And if I get to wishlist a powerhouse APU That can handle 1080p.

Boil

SFF Guru
Original poster
Nov 11, 2015
Wishlisting deluxe. The Nice thing is That we just Have to wait for about 2-3 weeks and get alot of answers.
Hopefully Vega 3000 Will compete on tdp as well as price.
Ryzen 3000 Will boost IPC making them not just price/performance winner But actual gaming winner.
And if I get to wishlist a powerhouse APU That can handle 1080p.

Hey, it is a totally feasible X570 ITX motherboard...!

And it is the Navi 3K series of GPUs forthcoming, not Vega...

Maybe we will learn more of the future of Vega (they did have that new Vega II logo pop up online somewhere...?), and maybe even some Big Navi tidbits...!?!

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
No SATA headers? That's a long shot. Considering manufacturers still make GPUs (or at least were making them last gen) with DVI ports, I think we're still a few years away from that happening.

Boil

SFF Guru
Original poster
Nov 11, 2015
No SATA headers? That's a long shot. Considering manufacturers still make GPUs (or at least were making them last gen) with DVI ports, I think we're still a few years away from that happening.

Not saying take SATA ports off all motherboards, just this special niche ITX one...

lawney

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 28, 2018
Well, that's a dream motherboard. But I don't see why it can't or shouldn't be made. I'd buy two.

Reactions: Boil

jho

Efficiency Noob
Mar 28, 2018
The Ryzen 3000 specs "leak" was "leaked" in Reddit and also confirmed fake later that week. Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/a44f4b/the_excel_spreadsheet_ryzen_leak_was_me_it_is_not/

I personally think B350/X370 and B450/X470 boards will fully support Ryzen 3000 CPUs because 7nm also "means less power for same perf". It would also hurt AMDs Threadripper adopters if they release 16c/32t on AM4.

MI50 and MI60 are purely datacenter GPUs and their pricing will most likely be way above cryptominers wallets.

tl;dr
All I'm saying is that these rumours are already partly confirmed fake and it's only few days untill CES so hold your horses, dont jump on the hype train and wait for official information.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Writing this post from the other side of the AMD keynote...

A bit disappointed that they didn't talk about Ryzen 2/3000 series to the extent that we were all hoping. Also a bit disappointed that the video card they talked about is not Navi but is Radeon VII (clever use of Vega 2 and Roman numeral 7, though).

The good news for Ryzen, I think, is that what they showed doesn't preclude the leaks being true. In fact, if the leaks are true WRT core counts, then what they showed is a Ryzen 5 beating (okay, pretty much just matching) an i9-9900K. That's significant. Still, with Sunny Cove on Intel's horizon (wait, just realized. Pun not intentional), who knows what kind of process-shrunk war we are about to have?

Reactions: rfarmer