Solved M1 v5 - first time build advice/opinions

ak3nji

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 21, 2017
Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting here, as i've just joined the SFF family (currently in the market for building a SFF PC).

I've had some experience building PC's in the past, but i've never attempted a SFF PC before and would like people's opinions on the parts i'm using and whether i will achieve the outcome i'm looking for.

What i'd like this computer for;

Primary functions of the computer, a must have;
  • 1440p Gaming
  • Basic Computer use ie; Internet browsing, office, etc
  • Would like it to be as quiet as possible, but not averse to the gentle humming of fans during gaming
  • Not a function, but i want an all AMD build, from a RYZEN CPU to a Radeon GPU (i'm coming from an i5 3750k and Nvidia GPU build, no regrets or loyalty, I just want to try something different).
Secondary functions i'd love, but doesn't have to be the best of the best;
  • Streaming/Record gameplay
  • Video encoding (I like to encode files on Handbrake etc)
  • With the ODD slot, are there any Blu-Ray players/burners in this format that'd fit this?
You will notice i haven't got a GPU currently listed, as I am waiting for the Vega 56 to release. I feel like a lot of people are hating on the new Vega's (I don't care about TDP or my power bill), i know this may be the loudest/hottest component on my new build, but i'd allow it (My current MSI GTX 670 power edition OC, sounds like a plane already).

Current idea for placement of fans would be; (See link)

Bottom Fans
2 x Noctua NF-F12 PWM 120mm Fan (have read that high static pressure is optimal for pushing past cramped spaces, also that if i have a fairly hot GPU there, i'd like to blow as much air onto it as possible). Another sidenote, i can't find a definitive answer in regards to fan exhaust/intake/positive/negative cooling...i'm thinking of blowing in as much cool air as possible and having one exhaust in the rear...help...lol.

Side Case Fan
Noctua NF-S12A ULN 120mm Fan

CPU Fan (horizontal placement)
Noctua NH-U9S CPU Cooler w/ extra fan

Exhaust fan behind CPU Cooler
Currently haven't decided on if i need one (advice appreciated), as the CPU cooler fan is very close to the back of the PC and in the link provided he has a slim 92mm exhaust fan, but it's super close to the CPU fan (would that create any issues?)

Looking forward to reading any responses you guys have and will definitely take on board what you share.

Cheers.

NB. I actually have a spare 250gb Samsung SSD, would i have room in this case to install it, with my current components?

NCASE M1 v5 (w/ ODD)

ASRock x370 itx/ac

Ryzen 7 1700

Noctus NM-AM4-UXS Mounting Kit

Noctua NH-U9S CPU Cooler

Noctua NF-A9 92mm PWM Fan

Noctua NF-S12A ULN 120mm Fan

Noctua NF-F12 PWM 120mm Fan

G.Skill Flare-X F4-3200C14D-16GFX 16GB (2x8GB) Ryzen DDR4

Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB SSD

Wolf_LikeMe

Caliper Novice
Mar 23, 2017
Hello and welcome.

Few points, you can disregard the points about saving money if thats not of interest.
  • You could save some money with a R5 1600, 6C12T is plenty for what you have outlined. Since you're set on buying a cooler off the bat perhaps an x model?
  • Again, you can save a bit of money with the ASRock B350 ITX (Unless you want to make use of PCIE Biturification but since you're only using one GPU and plan on getting the Vega 54 card I don't think this applies (correct me if I'm wrong)), you will likely have to contact ASRock to get a replacement VRM Heatsink.
  • I might change the S12 to a P12 (which doesn't come with silicone corners surprisingly enough) since that fan is pretty much blowing in your PSU and some cables, there isn't a massive volume between here. I might say the same for the bottom ones here.
  • RAM, Risen is getting more stable on other silicone dies but personal preference, shop around.
  • SSD: Boot times! Woo Hoo! There is room for your 2.5" drive, actually 2 of them if you have a ODD installed (There is also room on the floor of the case if you opt for a reference GPU and 1 fan on the bottom. I'll buy myself an M.2 drive sometime too.
  • PSU - Spot on.
To answer whatever of your questions I can:
  • The definitive answer (or so from what I have gathered) on GPU temps in the M1 is either water-cooling or, the cheaper option, an Arctic Accelerometer Extreme III. But GPUs survive just fine without either.
  • ODD
    • BLU-Ray is either the Panasonic UJ-265 or a Silverstone SST-SOB02 (Same drive you will just need to buy separate cables if you get the Panasonic drive.
    • Other than that, any 12.7mm slot loading drive
  • Exhaust fan depends on how you mount your heatsink - you can throw a 92mm or a slim 92mm in and it certainly won't do any harm. Have you considered top-flow coolers for your CPU?

Shout if you have any queries or opposing thoughts!

Reactions: ak3nji

ak3nji

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 21, 2017
Thank you very much for your input, I've been holding out on buying any parts, because I wanted to read all your suggestions first.

Now I have things to ponder. But first off, I gotta go to work and will get back to ya.

Cheers mate.

ak3nji

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 21, 2017
I have completed my purchases and I adjusted some of my order according to some of your suggestions. See below.

You could save some money with a R5 1600, 6C12T is plenty for what you have outlined. Since you're set on buying a cooler off the bat perhaps an x model?

I thought about going down to the 1600X... But after looking at the savings and the costs, I realised I should just upgrade the 1700 to a 1700X and save myself the spare cooler.

Again, you can save a bit of money with the ASRock B350 ITX (Unless you want to make use of PCIE Biturification but since you're only using one GPU and plan on getting the Vega 54 card I don't think this applies (correct me if I'm wrong)), you will likely have to contact ASRock to get a replacement VRM Heatsink.

Too late, I purchased this before I came on here, probably should've bought the B350 instead. Ahhh well.

Also I didn't know there was an issue with the VRM, fuark... Now I need to work that one out. :'( Do I just hop on to their site?

I might change the S12 to a P12 (which doesn't come with silicone corners surprisingly enough) since that fan is pretty much blowing in your PSU and some cables, there isn't a massive volume between here. I might say the same for the bottom ones here.

Changed all the fans to the P12.

As for all your other suggestions, I will act on them in good time. The ODD and GPU are future purchases and not urgent. :)

Will keep you posted and show you my build once I'm finished.

Cheers.

Wolf_LikeMe

Caliper Novice
Mar 23, 2017
Also I didn't know there was an issue with the VRM, fuark... Now I need to work that one out. :'( Do I just hop on to their site?
It's unlikely you need to worry about this then, the 'good' heatsink is included with the X370 board.

Yeah, you can do whatever with your processor... Its just binning but they all seem to run similar across the board.

You're welcome,
Looking forward to your build!

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
I am wanting to build up a workstation in the M1. It would be all AMD as well, but a slightly more modest parts list with an eye towards an eventual full custom water cooling loop (CPU & GPU).

I am going for the B350 ASRock board, the Ryzen 5 1600 CPU (lower watts to dissipate the heat from), and the stock Spire Wraith cooler. Again, full loop down the line, so no money spent on 3rd party cooler in the interim.

Definitely going for the RX Vega 56, reference is fine, I can deal with some noise from the blower fan until a water block gets installed on it.

For fans, I again think of cost & eventual replacement, & choose the 2-packs for the Corsair ML120 PWM fans. Two on the side bracket & two on the floor of the chassis.

RAM & M.2 SSD would be the same, 16GB Flare X 3200/14 & 500GB 960 EVO M.2 SSD.

My SF600 PSU is just begging for a home.

ak3nji

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 21, 2017
Hi Gents (and Ladies),

That sounds like a great build, i'm very happy with how mine has turned out, i'm sure you are going to love yours as well!

The M1 case is amazing, the amount of space it takes on my desk and the amount of space inside, wasn't too hard with my big hands.

slightly more modest parts list

Agreed...i went a bit overkill with mine, i probably should've gone more your route to be honest, but no regrets. =)

Definitely going for the RX Vega 56, reference is fine, I can deal with some noise from the blower fan until a water block gets installed on it.

I wish i had the confidence to place a water block on my GPU, i'd probably crap myself halfway through, haha.

On another note, the Vega 56 just released this morning for $600AUD. I bought the XFX Vega 56 just in time before they all sold out, PHEW!

Will show you pics once completed and i hope to see yours too Boil

Reactions: Boil

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Looks like I may have to wait until October or so until availability & pricing is more consistent, I REFUSE to pay the "gouge-me-now" tax...!

ak3nji

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 21, 2017
Yeah i feel ya Boil, I wish I had the patience...but i've wanted to upgrade for a while now and my 670 is starting to run out of legs.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
I am also waiting to see what ASUS has to offer with their forthcoming AM4 ITX motherboard(s?) before getting a system together, so I have some time...

ak3nji

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 21, 2017
I decided in the end to undervolt and overclock my GPU and also a mild overclock of my CPU. Check here for results and settings.