Motherboard AM4 Thin ITX motherboards, They do exist!

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
@Valantar. For your reference look at the following 2 vids:

Der8auer's delid of APU with his tool

Gamers Nexus with Custom IHS

I got the same tool as Der8auer has with the special acryl piece :)

Reactions: cleveland

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
The 2400GE is still in order, but the 200GE, which is also 35w is on its way for testing purposes.

I will test all 3 coolers, but which tests would you guys prefer me to do to get the most accurate readings?

I will test with Thermal Grizzly's Kryonaut as a base paste, due to this being the highest performance paste I know of.

I will also test with delidding and Thermal Grizzly's Conductonaut (liquid metal). An added extra would be the custom copper IHS I got from rockit cool to test for AM4 cpus :)

HYPE!!!

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
and so it seems that we're both correct with our statements.
Absolutely, it was just an odd response.
@Valantar. For your reference look at the following 2 vids:

Der8auer's delid of APU with his tool

Gamers Nexus with Custom IHS

I got the same tool as Der8auer has with the special acryl piece :)
I've seen both, but thanks :) I'm probably going to have to get that myself when I get around to upgrading my HTPC, it's just a shame that the AM4 kit isn't available here in Norway (last I checked the delid die mate wasn't either, but it seems a couple of stores sell them now). Of course I could probably get a matching bolt and cut the acrylic myself, but having it pre-made would be convenient for sure.

Good luck, and I'm definitely looking forward to your results!

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
While still not everything is in. I did some checking of the components. The big cooler, is to long for my needs (sticks out over the board). Also I noticed that both the larger and smaller cooler with copper heatpipes, also have aluminium as base plate. So those also would need normal paste instead of liquid metal.

Besides that, I also noticed that there are small gaps at the base plate where the heatpipes go through it, they are not flattend to the point they are equal to the aluminium of the baseplate itself. So this would require more thermal paste, and might not cool as adequate.

Solution would be to the cooler to the size is want and CNC it from one solid piece of copper. Making sure the fan would be upgraded to Hydrolic bearings for extra low noice aswell :)

But thats a future project, first test the bought onces.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
While still not everything is in. I did some checking of the components. The big cooler, is to long for my needs (sticks out over the board). Also I noticed that both the larger and smaller cooler with copper heatpipes, also have aluminium as base plate. So those also would need normal paste instead of liquid metal.

Besides that, I also noticed that there are small gaps at the base plate where the heatpipes go through it, they are not flattend to the point they are equal to the aluminium of the baseplate itself. So this would require more thermal paste, and might not cool as adequate.

Solution would be to the cooler to the size is want and CNC it from one solid piece of copper. Making sure the fan would be upgraded to Hydrolic bearings for extra low noice aswell :)

But thats a future project, first test the bought onces.
Ouch, that sounds ... less than ideal. Looking closely, I think I can see the gaps around the heatpipe on the biggest cooler? That's a shame. As for the length, how much does it stick out by? The heatpipes don't run all the way to the end, so perhaps you'd be able to shorten the fin stack somewhat?

As for a DIY solution, wouldn't it be better to get a pre-made 1u fanless cooler (like those fancy vapor chamber+copper fin ones from Dynatron, or maybe an ID Cooling IS-VC45) and 3D print or otherwise DIY a way to hold a blower fan off to the side of it? A bit backwards in terms of mounting, but a solution like this would give you a lot of flexibility in terms of layout, at least (and potentially very good cooling).

Last edited:
Reactions: Vlad502

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
Ouch, that sounds ... less than ideal. Looking closely, I think I can see the gaps around the heatpipe on the biggest cooler? That's a shame. As for the length, how much does it stick out by? The heatpipes don't run all the way to the end, so perhaps you'd be able to shorten the fin stack somewhat?

As for a DIY solution, wouldn't it be better to get a pre-made 1u fanless cooler (like those fancy vapor chamber+copper fin ones from Dynatron, or maybe an ID Cooling IS-VC45) and 3D print or otherwise DIY a way to hold a blower fan off to the side of it? A bit backwards in terms of mounting, but a solution like this would give you a lot of flexibility in terms of layout, at least (and potentially very good cooling).

I think it sticks out about half an inch, maybe a bit less. When off work ill make a photo.
For the Cooler itself, I just like to design products, which also have great benifits for the SFF market :) So I rather do a first time right instead of super DIY :)

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I think it sticks out about half an inch, maybe a bit less. When off work ill make a photo.
For the Cooler itself, I just like to design products, which also have great benifits for the SFF market :) So I rather do a first time right instead of super DIY :)
Oh, I agree with that, I was just under the impression that CNCing copper was very difficult, and thought that when there are OTS solutions that solve that issue for relatively cheap, that might end up being a better solution? I'm pretty sure a 3D-printable radial fan shroud for existing 1u passive coolers would be pretty popular in the community too :)

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
Oh, I agree with that, I was just under the impression that CNCing copper was very difficult, and thought that when there are OTS solutions that solve that issue for relatively cheap, that might end up being a better solution? I'm pretty sure a 3D-printable radial fan shroud for existing 1u passive coolers would be pretty popular in the community too :)

I did read it aswell that copper is harder to CNC due to it being a softer metal. But I think that there are some specials ways to achieve it :) But that is up to the company that may produce it haha

Reactions: Valantar

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I did read it aswell that copper is harder to CNC due to it being a softer metal. But I think that there are some specials ways to achieve it :) But that is up to the company that may produce it haha
I think the most common way of making heatsinks from copper (that don't consist of entirely separate fins, that is) is skiving. Ought to be a lot cheaper and simpler than CNC, but also less flexible.

Reactions: kotproger

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
I think the most common way of making heatsinks from copper (that don't consist of entirely separate fins, that is) is skiving. Ought to be a lot cheaper and simpler than CNC, but also less flexible.

If you look closely at the heatsink within the "Mouth" part of the cooler, it looks like that is Skived aswell. The outer parts are darkned aluminium, I think those are CNCed.

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017

Its about 1.8 cm to long...

Also I noticed some different issues...

The volt regulators are in the way for the heat pipes, which doesn't allow it to fit...