Motherboard AM4 Thin ITX motherboards, They do exist!

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
Does anyone have a recommandation for a Slim power adapter? I'm looking for something thats 0.5 inch in thickness. But needs to output 150w.

The needs to be a 5.5 x 2.5 mm jack, or a universal brick that has such a jack with it :)

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Does anyone have a recommandation for a Slim power adapter? I'm looking for something thats 0.5 inch in thickness. But needs to output 150w.

The needs to be a 5.5 x 2.5 mm jack, or a universal brick that has such a jack with it :)
Voltage?

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017

That's pushing the limits of a commercial brick. Ask Gury?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
After looking around a bit <0,5" seems like a significant challenge. Razer gets praise for their small power bricks, and their 200W unit is .93" thick. Their 165W one is .87". Dell has a 130W one for the XPS 15 that's quite small, but 130 isn't 150, and it uses USB-C. The thinnest >140W power supplies I can find on Mouser are 1", even for internal or open-frame ones.

Reactions: Mortis Angelus

Vlad502

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 4, 2017
Size 290 x 185 x 45 mm

Board is Onda B320 IPC
Cooler is 1032-00
LVDS to 30 pin eDP board from aliexpress to use with 11.6 IPS 1920x1080 eDP display panel
11.6 USB touch screen from aliexpress
MiniBox OpenUPS
3x18650 holders from aliexpress
2x Aiyima 1 inch 16ohm speakers from aliexpress
40 x 10 mm fan
CPU probably 35W GE series because OpenUPS limit of 6A x 19V = 114W

Last edited:
Reactions: Choidebu

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Size 290 x 185 x 45 mm

Board is Onda B320 IPC
Cooler is 1032-00
LVDS to 30 pin eDP board from aliexpress to use with 11.6 IPS 1920x1080 eDP display panel
11.6 USB touch screen from aliexpress
MiniBox OpenUPS
3x18650 holders from aliexpress
2x Aiyima 1 inch 16ohm speakers from aliexpress
40 x 10 mm fan
CPU probably 35W GE series because OpenUPS limit of 6A x 19V = 114W
Looks nice! Given how much larger than the 11.6" display it needs to be, I think I'd opt for enlarging it slightly and getting a 13.3" display in there, but I guess that's down to personal preference.

Also, I don't think you can wire the power like in your mock-up - from my understanding of the OpenUPS it's meant to intercept an on-board power connector (or otherwise sit in-line with power delivery), meaning you'd need to rig up a second power input jack somewhere, wire that to the UPS, then wire the UPS's output to the motherboard's input jack. The way you've drawn it is essentially a short circuit between the UPS's input and output, which would likely confuse it immensely.

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
So the CPU (2400GE) has been ordered aswell. This one might take awhile to receive due to it being "on order only" so none in stock.

I also looked at some slim power adapters.
The 2400G has a max power draw of 120 watts.

Normaly Thin ITX boards use less power anyway and also the 2400GE is less TDP so also less power draw.

For this I bought the following:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QG86TNW/?tag=theminutiae-20

Its a 90 watt charger, universal which is handy for future projects and it has a build in wattages meter. But its only 17mm in thickness making it 0.7 inch, a bit above what I was looking for but a good compromise to have the wattages meter in it.

I also got a 87 watt macbook pro charger at home. So I purchased a USB-C to 5.5x2.5mm cable.

Which is as brickless as it could get for such a build since the whole brick is at the wallsocket side.

So multiple things to test :)

For RAM I going to a cheaper solution. 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 Mhz CL14.

A Adata M.2 Sata ssd (PCI-E M.2 is not on this board).

And a Intel m.2 wifi + bluetooth card (AC8365)

Last edited:
Reactions: Valantar

Vlad502

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 4, 2017
Looks nice! Given how much larger than the 11.6" display it needs to be, I think I'd opt for enlarging it slightly and getting a 13.3" display in there, but I guess that's down to personal preference.

Also, I don't think you can wire the power like in your mock-up - from my understanding of the OpenUPS it's meant to intercept an on-board power connector (or otherwise sit in-line with power delivery), meaning you'd need to rig up a second power input jack somewhere, wire that to the UPS, then wire the UPS's output to the motherboard's input jack. The way you've drawn it is essentially a short circuit between the UPS's input and output, which would likely confuse it immensely.
I was thinking for 13.3 lately, but i am worried about display mounting, so decide 11.6 is better to go
Yes that was confusing for sure. Thanks and fixed

EDIT: Scrach that 11.6

Last edited:

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
JUBO TA320-SA: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=573507127861
Instead VGA port has RS232 port, also has 4 pin 12V input and supports NVME

Really nice find! Does top the Onda board :)

I just purchased the AMD Athlon 200GE, due to it would take sometime to get the 2400GE to arrive. The 200GE is also 35w. So would be some sort of comparible to the 2400GE in heat.

Scott

Caliper Novice
Nov 29, 2016
Oh, that Jubo board looks interesting.

The only big thing I'd want is another HDMI or Display Port connection. Is there a way to convert the LVDS connector to HDMI or DP? I'm not too familiar with that type of header other than it is intended for integrated screens. I googled quickly and just found a bunch of controller boards for screens and a few other boards that didn't seem to be doing what I wanted.

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
The 2400GE is still in order, but the 200GE, which is also 35w is on its way for testing purposes.

I will test all 3 coolers, but which tests would you guys prefer me to do to get the most accurate readings?

I will test with Thermal Grizzly's Kryonaut as a base paste, due to this being the highest performance paste I know of.

I will also test with delidding and Thermal Grizzly's Conductonaut (liquid metal). An added extra would be the custom copper IHS I got from rockit cool to test for AM4 cpus :)

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
One of your coolers is aluminum, make sure you aren't using liquid metal on aluminum.

Edit: I now realize I misread your post and thought you were using liquid metal for the cooler testing. I see now you are using it when you deild, which makes a lot more sense.

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
The 2400GE is still in order, but the 200GE, which is also 35w is on its way for testing purposes.

I will test all 3 coolers, but which tests would you guys prefer me to do to get the most accurate readings?

I will test with Thermal Grizzly's Kryonaut as a base paste, due to this being the highest performance paste I know of.

I will also test with delidding and Thermal Grizzly's Conductonaut (liquid metal). An added extra would be the custom copper IHS I got from rockit cool to test for AM4 cpus :)

Sweet! There are too few AM4 delids out there (I suppose that's down to AMD being sensible and soldering the majority of their chips, but still...). What delid tool are you using? Or are you going old-school with razors and elbow grease?

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
AMD APU's are not soldered. In fact, that's an horrible decision from their part, since it's the most thermal sensitive processor unit they do have.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
AMD APU's are not soldered. In fact, that's an horrible decision from their part, since it's the most thermal sensitive processor unit they do have.
Majority of chips =/= all their chips. What you're saying is exactly what I was referring to.