AM4 DC input motherboard

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
Are there any AM4 mobo with this kind of power input?

The voltage, as well as the form factor (ITX or Thin-ITX) aren't relevant (at least for me), as long as the mobo could be powered by an external brick.

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
These aren't AM4 but the info might help.

Yeah, I own a A78F2-TI, equipped with an a8-7600. Awesome little piece of tech (after a few tweaks and a good cooling solution)!

Now that storage and single core performance got to another level, i'm looking for a mobo replacement to my M350 case.

The central idea here is to have a direct input mobo + m.2 SSD + Ryzen 2400GE (35w) + the lowest profile heatsink possible (NH-L9a?), all inside the M350!

Last edited:
Reactions: ColorZepppelin

ColorZepppelin

Trash Compacter
ColorZeppelin Computers
Apr 8, 2016
Reactions: cleveland

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
You might consider the AMD V1000 APU motherboards, just by chance I came across the one below. Has a 4-pin connector on the IO side.
Axiomtek GMB140 - 12V input
http://gaming.axiomtek.com/products_info.html?sn=38
I might consider it IF I can find a good/reliable comparison betwen 2400GE and V1000 (or any other embedded APU).

Features i wanna see compared:
- power consumption
- thermal dissipation
- power input vs performance output (cTDP or anything similar)

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
I might consider it IF I can find a good/reliable comparison betwen 2400GE and V1000 (or any other embedded APU).

Features i wanna see compared:
- power consumption
- thermal dissipation
- power input vs performance output (cTDP or anything similar)
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/sapphire-amd-ryzen-v1000-apu,37408.html
The APU itself is not the V1000, but rather the V1000 series, with the top-of-the-line 4-core 8-thread Vega 11 V1807B comparing to the 2400G.

The boost clocks and base clocks on the V1807B are lower by around 0.1GHz for boost and 0.25GHz for base compared to the 2400G, mostly to accomodate the 35-54 watt TDP. Expect more successful cooling with the V1807B than the 2400G given the same cooler.

Power consumption should be rather similar, considering similar clocks and similar physical features. I would estimate a power consumption of around 63 watts under load.

What might be of concern is GPU frequency, as on the V1807B, GPU frequency is at (max) 1300MHz. I'm pretty sure it's the same on the 2400G, but if we see power throttling, that may be a problem.

Hopefully this answers a few of your questions... I myself am pretty confused... :p

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
The boost clocks and base clocks on the V1807B are lower by around 0.1GHz for boost and 0.25GHz for base compared to the 2400G, mostly to accomodate the 35-54 watt TDP. Expect more successful cooling with the V1807B than the 2400G given the same cooler.

Power consumption should be rather similar, considering similar clocks and similar physical features. I would estimate a power consumption of around 63 watts under load.

What might be of concern is GPU frequency, as on the V1807B, GPU frequency is at (max) 1300MHz. I'm pretty sure it's the same on the 2400G, but if we see power throttling, that may be a problem.

Hopefully this answers a few of your questions... I myself am pretty confused... :p

I don't wanna sound harsh or anything, but do you have any source for those assumptions? I've searched online a lot for those ccomparisons, but have no success at all and the link you gave here talks solely about the specs (info that can be found everywhere).

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
I don't wanna sound harsh or anything, but do you have any source for those assumptions? I've searched online a lot for those ccomparisons, but have no success at all and the link you gave here talks solely about the specs (info that can be found everywhere).
It's fine, I understand where you're coming from ;)

These assumptions are based on the TDP and clocks of the processor. Given a lower TDP (which measures max amount of heat produced, as far as I know), the amount of heat produced by the processor will naturally be lower. Lowered clocks generally means lowered heat, the inverse of higher clocks producing more heat, so that reduces heat as well. Additionally, lowered clocks mean lower power consumption, and that hopefully is self-explanatory.

My logic here was to provide very very conservative estimates of heat/power, based off of a processor we already know exists. Since I'm kinda far away from testing equipment, I decided to assume that a clock reduction of 0.35 GHz may result in a power consumption reduction of 2 watts. Given how power efficient the Zen architecture is, that seemed rather reasonable (the Vega part may be of concern though..). Additionally, the lowered TDP is a rather easy way for me to provide a comparison of cooling power needed.

TL;DR:
My assumptions were mostly based on TDP being lower and lowered clocks meaning lowered power consumption.

Hopefully this explains my thought process well enough...

(EDIT: Evidently I wasn't thinking properly when I estimated power consumption at 63W, that's based off of TDP, a measure of heat! Either way, power consumption characteristics should be similar to a 2400G, and considering (probably) the inability to overclock the V1000-series processors, they will stay low compared to an overclocked (and better performing) 2400G).

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
TL;DR:
My assumptions were mostly based on TDP being lower and lowered clocks meaning lowered power consumption.

Hopefully this explains my thought process well enough...

(EDIT: Evidently I wasn't thinking properly when I estimated power consumption at 63W, that's based off of TDP, a measure of heat! Either way, power consumption characteristics should be similar to a 2400G, and considering (probably) the inability to overclock the V1000-series processors, they will stay low compared to an overclocked (and better performing) 2400G).

I really like the way you think and how it suits my needs!

I hope those itsy-bitsy boards come down to market ASAP, so i can put my old xbox to RIP in peace! lol

Reactions: Soul_Est and el01