Discussion How would you power a sata SSD using thin mini itx motherboard DC-Input?

BobyMadrox

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Oct 23, 2016
Hi, it's probably a stupid question but I can't wrap my head around it, how would you power a SATA SSD on this motherboard (Asrock IMB-1215) using DC-Input PSU:

I notice SATA ports but nothing to power it, not sure?

watts_happening

Caliper Novice
Apr 15, 2020
From what I've seen, the manufacturer documentation usually doesn't specify a maximum power draw. I can say I'm powering 4 Samsung SSD SATA drives off a similar connector on a Supermicro server motherboard. I would be careful about powering spinning drives, but if only 2 or so seems like it should be fine. Best guess is 20W or below through a connector like that to be safe.

Reactions: BobyMadrox

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
@watts_happening Wow ok, great observation skill man, thank you for spotting that.
Do you think if it's possible to power 2 SATA devices with that?
If it has 2 SATA data ports, then it should be able to power 2 SATA devices.
The official requirement is about 12 watts per drive split between 12VDC and 5VDC and a bit less than a watt of 3.3VDC (a note that the Thin mITX standard hasn't been updated or revised any time recently, 3.3V has been removed from basically everything else)

That said, I wouldn't put i past manufacturers to go out of spec here and there, but I doubt they'd NOT supply enough power for all of their data ports. Though as mentioned 3.3VDC has been dropped everywhere, so I'd be surprised if anyone DID provide that voltage.

Reactions: BobyMadrox