Power Supply AC/DC PSU with 600W @ 12V on a ~2x8“ footprint? Help!

petricor

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
May 12, 2018
Hi all,
I‘m working on the basics of a 12V project - details coming soon- and it needs a LOT of power, around the 550w mark to be precise:
I have a 210x54x40mm volume available for the PSU.

So far I came up with two possible solutions:

1) Two 2x4” Cosel Cosma GMA 300F with a compact load balancer of sorts (I know a forum member is developing one with matching specs, but afaik there is nothing off-the-shelf out there as of yet - correct?)

2) using a MuRata D1U54P-W-650-12-HBxC (thanks @NinoPecorino) and modding it to size - it’s near-ideal with a decent power overhead (it delivers 650w), but 20mm too long; problem is that the pcb appears to be covering the entire length of the footprint so this might be a rather adventurous and possibly unfeasible undertaking - and I will need to deal with a power bus that really wants to talk to a server backplane...

Switching is nice-to-have but optional at this stage, really

Anyone knowing of a (better) way of doing this?

Thanks in advance!

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 27, 2017
Server power supplies have form factors similar to this, once you remove the steel case and fans. They operate over 1KW.

I have a Delta DPS-650QB next to me, and naked it's 2x9" and 650W rated.

There's got to be one an inch shorter.

Reactions: petricor

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
sadly, the only server power supplies that i've seen in the 54x40 format that are under 225mm in length are rated 450w. maybe contact @guryhwa and see if he can help?

Reactions: petricor

petricor

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
May 12, 2018
Hate to necro, but I've been scouring the internet far and wide for a 300w+ PSU with dimensions roughly 54x40 under 170mm length. Super curious if you could point me at whatcha seen~
Check out the Cosel Cosma- link above, 300w and well within your volume requirements

Reactions: NinoPecorino

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
Hate to necro, but I've been scouring the internet far and wide for a 300w+ PSU with dimensions roughly 54x40 under 170mm length. Super curious if you could point me at whatcha seen~
Yes. Dismantle it, and you have an internal one.

The width constraint is what makes it difficult to find. Above 250w they are wider than 54 mm.
Check out the Cosel Cosma- link above, 300w and well within your volume requirements

yeah, what those guys said