Power Supply 500W FlexATX PSU

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Well I made a dumb mistake. I was under the impression that this was a semi-fanless unit but it's not, and that 40mm fan is SUPER annoying!

So I'll probably be sending it back.

Reactions: ricochet

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It appears to use a PWM fan though, which really limits the options.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The RPM range is pretty similar, so I don't think it'd be any quieter. Noctua doesn't have a PWM 40mm currently, they do have one in development but it's 20mm thick, so it won't fit in here.

I'm just going to give up on it and figure out something else for Jolokia until the HDPLEX 300W AC-DC is out.

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
The RPM range is pretty similar, so I don't think it'd be any quieter. Noctua doesn't have a PWM 40mm currently, they do have one in development but it's 20mm thick, so it won't fit in here.

I'm just going to give up on it and figure out something else for Jolokia until the HDPLEX 300W AC-DC is out.
I'll take that FSP PSU if you don't want it. ;)

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It's Amazon, so I can get my money back. Unless you want to buy it from me for $130 + PayPal fee + shipping. I assume you'll pass on that though :p

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
It's Amazon, so I can get my money back. Unless you want to buy it from me for $130 + PayPal fee + shipping. I assume you'll pass on that though :p
No, I'm good... but... if you don't get a refund, just send it my way. I'm just kidding. ;)

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Well, I'm glad I didn't just send it back right away. I had left it running for about 30 minutes today while I was testing something. Then afterwards, I noticed that the really, really annoying whine I was hearing when I first tried it Wednesday is no longer there.

I think maybe the bearings needed some break-in time. Whatever the cause, it now performs surprisingly well at idle, and even under CPU load with my 120W TDP Xeon.

If I could find a 40x15mm PWM fan with FDB (or even an improved sleeve bearing) I think it'd actually be close to inaudible in all but the most quiet environments.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
From the Documentation:

Important: This power supply needs airflow of 11.5CFM for running at maximum load condition. If system provides airflow less than 11.5 CFM, output power must be de-rated depending on internal components temperature rise.

The fan you linked seems to achieve that at just 8300RPM, which is quite cool.

Reactions: ricochet

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
The fan you linked seems to achieve that at just 8300RPM, which is quite cool.
But at 32 dB(A)! Deltas can be loud, as they tend to have a unique pitch/sound signature that disturbs some peoples ears and makes them sound louder than they really are. But they sure are workhorses and seem to last forever!

Reactions: iFreilicht

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
That model Delta is ball-bearing and 2-wire.

Annoyingly there are FDB 40mm fans available but all the ones I've seen are 20mm thick :(

Last edited:

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Bah, it will power off if it doesn't detect the fan. So all the 2-wire fans are out without rigging up some kind of fake tach signal.

Reactions: lordzahl

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Bah, it will power off if it doesn't detect the fan.

At least that was to be suspected. Maybe the tach signal could be faked with just +5V or GND connected permanently? Either way, I don't know whether the PSU can use voltage-controlled fans anyway, so 3pin might be the least you can do.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Oh yeah, it's a PWM fan. So I guess fan replacement on this is just not going to happen.