Power Supply 500W FlexATX PSU

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Might negate the need for a custom order?

At least for the FSP500-50FSPT it somehow does. I'm not sure how many would want to invest into a ~140€ PSU now if a better one could be released by the end of the year or earlier. On the other hand, there's nothing holding me back from opening kick-starter like pre-orders once I know all the variables. If it doesn't find enough interest, then I'll concentrate on the Vandal Button first.

Oh, and I could of course also sell the -12V supplies separately. I already got a quote for them, at 300 pcs I should be able to sell them at about 10€ + shipping + tax, and they're not that expensive so I could stock them.

Reactions: EdZ and ricochet

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
So, X99 support?

iFreilicht's second post in this thread lists a number of different boards, and whether they need -12v or not.

I'm not sure why the discrepancy between what ASRock's engineers said and my experience, but I've tested my ASRock X99E-ITX/ac and it does boot without the -12V.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'm not sure, the revision number is under the serial number sticker :\

And I don't want to remove it for the warranty.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I went ahead and ordered one off Amazon, should be here Wednesday :D

And I think it was mentioned somewhere, but does the fan spool up to full speed briefly on power on? Would it be possible to make some simple circuit to defeat that?

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
Well, it wouldn't be me, I completely suck at electronics :p
Yeah, you would have to probably make it so the fan is controllable through software. If it's three pins what I'd do is have a controller and connect three wires to the header and three from the fan and have a virtual button, which is controlled when you activate it.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
And I think it was mentioned somewhere, but does the fan spool up to full speed briefly on power on? Would it be possible to make some simple circuit to defeat that?

It does that yes, but no, you can't change it easily. It's a self-test function performed by the on-board MCU, so the firmware has to be changed for that to happen.

You could maybe make a custom daughterboard.

A daughterboard that circumvents this problem would be quite ambitious. While the fan is indeed connected by a header, it's a 4pin one, so you would first have to fake the feedback signal that the MCU uses to read the actual RPM of the fan. Not something I'd want to dip my toes in, to be quite honest.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
That's kinda neat though, most consumer PSUs (at least all the SFX/SFX-L units I've looked at so far) have just dumb 2-wire fan setups.

Do you know if the MCU actually checks that the reported RPM is within the expected range? Or does it just check that the fan is working at all?

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
That I don't know, I don't have access to the firmware. :) If someone feels up to the task they are very welcome to hack it and find out.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Heh, well I'll just try to power it on with the fan disconnected and see if it refuses to start.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
lol, I've risked far more expensive hardware.

Like purposely trying to cause a PSU to overheat and shutdown while connected to a $250 motherboard and $600 CPU.