Power Supply Flex ATX PSU help!

kowabunga_dude

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Sep 21, 2018
I am going to be building a PC with a flex atx power supply. I will be shortening the cables and doing custom sleeves regardless of which psu I choose. My question is should I go with this FSP 500w 80+ Platinum OR the FSP 500w 80+ gold?

The platinum model does not have a pcie connector, but I read on a forum that I could convert some of the extra connections into a 6+2 pin. My logic is that I want as little of fan noise as possible, so I would in turn opt for the more efficient PSU. Either way 500w is overkill for my build, but I want the extra wattage for possible upgrades down the line, and to be using a lower percentage of available power, again for fan noise.

Also, it was brought to my attention in another thread that the platinum does not have a -12v rail, but I don't know what that means, or how it will negatively affect my build. Can someone explain the differences between these two PSU's and help me decide which one to go with?

I will be running Ryzen 5 2600/x, 2 ssd's (one m.2), 16gb ram, and a 1060 most likely.

Thanks!

PS. this is my first post, so take it easy on me haha

Boganator

Chassis Packer
Sep 23, 2018
I am going to be doing a build over the next year or so with a flex atx power supply as well. The best one I found was this one. Notice that you can choose it at 400 or 500 watt with a Noctua fan. I'd love to use this one but sadly the custom work on it makes it too long (170mm) for the case I want to build. I will personally have to go with the FSP 500 gold. I've never done this and don't know how to, but you could always replace the 40mm fan in the FSP with a Noctua 40mm.

Reactions: AURMEND

kowabunga_dude

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Sep 21, 2018
I am going to be doing a build over the next year or so with a flex atx power supply as well. The best one I found was this one. Notice that you can choose it at 400 or 500 watt with a Noctua fan. I'd love to use this one but sadly the custom work on it makes it too long (170mm) for the case I want to build. I will personally have to go with the FSP 500 gold. I've never done this and don't know how to, but you could always replace the 40mm fan in the FSP with a Noctua 40mm.
I considered the custo Geeek psu also, but have the same problem with the length. I am building in a custom mod flex mini, are you using the same case?

kowabunga_dude

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Sep 21, 2018
THANK YOU! this will save me a lot of money since i dont have to custom sleeve the FSP 500w gold

EDIT: looks like the GEEK 500w is a modified FSP500-50FSPT
https://www.fspgroupusa.com/ecommerce/fsp500-50fspt.html

https://www.fsp-group.com/download/product/000151/ME2D.pdf

The Geeek looks like a good option, but unfortunately it will not fit my case (Custom Mod Flex Mini), which is why I am going to customize one myself. The guy that runs custom mod offers a modified PSU, but it's only 300w is $160 USD. I would rather just learn to do the work myself and use a better PSU model.

Boganator

Chassis Packer
Sep 23, 2018
Sorry for the late reply, but yes I am planning on building in the 4.5L Custom Mod Flex Mini. I've been doing a lot of research on Flex ATX power supplies and came across a video (from Custom Mod funny enough) showing a mod to the FSP 500 platinum. I assume the gold will have the same fan connector so I should be able to buy a noctua 40x10 flx and it should plug right in. Which means I get 500 watts of power and hopefully a silent and cool power supply. I am considering purchasing additional 40x10s to place near the power supply for additional ventilation.

It's going to be a few months before I start the build though, I need to make sure that the 1070 ITX I plan on buying will be enough power for Anthem, otherwise I have to come up with a different plan.